10' CX9 Drinking coolant!!!//overheating

Hi ,

I've 2010 CX9 GT with 3.7 engine .I'm facing a problem with coolant level .It's disappearing without any sign of visible leak .

1- New radiator .
2- New thermostat .
3-Hoses are in excellent condition.
4-New overflow tank cap .
5-cooling fans are working perfectly .
Note: new parts were replaced due to (filter )oil cooler failure .

Water pump !!

The car is not over heating at idle .
no visible leak or sign of oil and water mixture . (that was confirmed by oil cap and dipstick )

Head gasket !!
The car is running super smooth and zero misfire and that was confirmed by car scanner .!!

Overflow tank
coolant is the only available liquid inside and no smell of anything else other than coolant .

I don't know what to do the car is only 56K and very well maintained !!!

pressurize the system and add a dye to see if you can spot any leaks. I was lucky when my water pump went because I had a big leak by the water pump. This does not always happen. With some it never leaks the coolant just gets into the oil and then the car shuts off. Let me know what happens.

Let it cool and drain a little oil to see if you can detect any coolant as it will sink to the bottom of the pan. However unless there's enough leaking, you may not be able to detect it in the pan. BTW, pressurizing the coolant system should only be done by experienced mechanics with the right tools as too much pressure (more than 10-15 psi) can cause leaks in other areas that may have marginal seals.

Once the engine is hot, any coolant leaking into the oil will rapidly boil off (and disappear). If the amounts are small enough, you will not get any warning until the catastrophic moment of failure arrives. The engine will run more or less fine until then. Misfires are more common with head gasket failure (don't ask me how I know).

Your title for the thread mentions overheating. Has it EVER overheated during normal operation with the replaced thermostat?

BTW, good maintenance won't help prevent water pump failure on this engine as there's nothing to do but wait and watch closely.

As to what else to do, budget for the water pump replacement today as you should do it sooner than later if you can't figure out another cause for the coolant loss.

Let it cool and drain a little oil to see if you can detect any coolant as it will sink to the bottom of the pan. However unless there's enough leaking, you may not be able to detect it in the pan. BTW, pressurizing the coolant system should only be done by experienced mechanics with the right tools as too much pressure (more than 10-15 psi) can cause leaks in other areas that may have marginal seals.

Once the engine is hot, any coolant leaking into the oil will rapidly boil off (and disappear). If the amounts are small enough, you will not get any warning until the catastrophic moment of failure arrives. The engine will run more or less fine until then. Misfires are more common with head gasket failure (don't ask me how I know).

Your title for the thread mentions overheating. Has it EVER overheated during normal operation with the replaced thermostat?

BTW, good maintenance won't help prevent water pump failure on this engine as there's nothing to do but wait and watch closely.

As to what else to do, budget for the water pump replacement today as you should do it sooner than later if you can't figure out another cause for the coolant loss.

I've checked the (dip stick )and oil looks like crystal clear as it's less than 200 miles .I will have to drain and check as well.

I did not really overheat but temp went up to 3/4 and system was 2 liters less .the last option I'm going to check is to bypass heater system and check (thought) before going to costly option and replace water pump .

Back