Help me decide: 2017 CX5 or 2017 Mazda3 hatch?

CX5 or Mazda3 for daily driver

• 2017 Mazda3 Hatch GT

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 2017 CX5 GT

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters

Zf_cxagm10

:
Coming soon: Most likely a Mazda
Hello everyone, and yes this is a strange comparison, but I'm think some have the same question. (I'll probably post this in the mazda3 lounge to see if they think differently over there)

I am currently looking at both, it is so hard to pick between the two since the CX5 is more refined, more quiet has more space and has an even more luxurious feeling interior vs the Mazda3. However the Mazda3 hatch handles better and is more (appearance) mod friendly. In other words the 3 is more of an enthusiast car then the CX5.

Then again I guess you could mod a CX5 with a front splitter and maybe a new exhaust whenever someone is going to make a good one for the 17s, but it won't look or sound as good as if you were to do the same mods on a 3.

I guess the biggest difference both is the space (since they are so similar looking) and if you have kids or not (Me, not yet, but would you think a 3 would be big enough for one?)

What do you guys think I should pick? And I probably missed a few big differences between the 2, if so just tell me

Price?!

Also should consider whether you want AWD and the ground clearance. Honestly though, the Mazda3 should suit you just fine and space shouldn't be an issue. I feel like the only benefit in space from the CX-5 is if you need to load bulky, tall items.

Get the CX-5 if you like the crossover look. It seems like the mazda3 would be a better fit for you though.

Last edited:
1- the 3 is getting long in the tooth. It's due for replacement soon. That's a negative.

2- do you desire awd or a bit extra ground clearance? Cx5 bonus points.

3- ride. 3 is better and gets better MPGs.

4- space. Cx5 wins.

5- mods. As noted the 3 has many more options. Advantage 3.

6- price. Not that much difference between the two.

Test drive both and I think you'll find which one you prefer.

1- the 3 is getting long in the tooth. It's due for replacement soon.

AFAIK somewhere around 2018/2019 - all depends on where they are up to in terms of new model design/modelling/process of implementing desired changes etc.

Not to mention HCCI engine development as the next 3 could be the very first model to receive this engine

To the OP - simplest thing to do is take both of them for a detailed test drive then take into consideration your queries on space, refinement, NVH, mods etc.

I actually just test drove the CX-3, Mazda 3, CX-5 and Miata this weekend. Looking for a car for my son. I was pushing the Mazda 3 as the local dealer is offering 4K off. It is a nice car with a very nice interior - similar to the newer CX-5. It is louder but feels really good driving around the city. We first drove the CX-3, which is tiny and with 3 people, was tight. The Mazda 3 is wider and has more room. The hatch is nice and can hold a lot. When I first bought my 14 CX-5, I wanted a Mazda 3 hatchback. However, I need it to fit my bike inside. The CX-5 did it without poking into the driving area. In the Mazda 3, the opening was narrower and the bike just did not fit well.

The Mazda 3 handles really well and is much better than the CX-5 in this regard. Actually, the CX-3 was great in this regard as well. Don't know how well a car seat would fit in a Mazda 3. If I had no kids, I would buy a 3 hatch. Sportier, with better mileage and can be had cheaper. And it has a better resale value when you want to trade it in for something else.

Yeah, cost is a big thing here. Guessing since you're even comparing the two that its not a barrier. I'd say do you need AWD, ground clearence, and more storage. If not, definitely go 3.

I'm 5'7". I had 2 convertible seats in my old 2006 Mazda3. Front facing is ok. Rear facing the seat had to be moved up a bit and I had to sit more upright and closer than was my comfortable position. I could fit in the car but only for short trips. Anything longer than 1hr and it was going to suck. In fact I think 3rd row of CX-9 has more comfortable seating than the front of the Mazda3 with a rear facing convertible in it.

That said I had the 3 for 120,000 miles and 11 years so you CAN make it work if you had to, but it's not comfortable. Also won 3 Autocrosses with it in it's class :-D and it's an automatic.

Drive all of them and see which one you like more. I'm sure if you have kids in the future you your car or the significant other's car can be replaced for something bigger.

Oh and with the infant carrier it is ok and can work too, but it's a PITA. You have to bend over and plop that sucker in. In CUV the height helps. Height also helps once they get older and you try to fold a kid into a rea facing seat thru the door opening while bending down. My daughter had to do in almost horizontally then rotated upright once in the car. Do all that while bending your back at 45 degrees and it can get old fast... Again, doable, but not comfortable.

Last edited:
Had I not wanted AWD, ground clearance, and storage space, I might have ended up with a 3 hatchback.

I mean, it really depends on what you actually want out of the car OP. Can't really vote without knowing that.

I was in the same situation just a few weeks ago. I wanted a hatchback more than anything, I was actually convinced by the new Civic hatch at first. I needed extra room for carrying around equipment and gear. Once I drove the CX-5, that made me realize a CUV could still give me a "car" feeling, remain sporty and still give me all the benefits of a CUV. After that, I drove every single CUV in the CX-5 price range and then finally settled on the 2017 GT premium CX-5. It's really great blend of everything. Not as sporty or agile as the Mazda 3, but it really holds its own for something so much higher off the ground and bigger overall. If you can use the space and encounter AWD situations once in a while, the CX-5 is simply awesome.

3 does not have power seats in any trim (??) - big turn off. 3 rear leg room is bad. Not sure how bad but if its < than Corolla etc that will be a blow. The Sentra has good room there. It has to, otherwise no one will get that pig of a car.
In hatch the 3 looks great. Will be faster and much better handling. MPG on my commute with a 3 would be close to 38 - about 8-10 more than my CX-5. Highway mpg would be better than 16 CX5 by a wide margin. 17s improve on this.

3 also has a big chunk of foam for the backseat bottom. at least my 2014 did.

tire/road noise was atrocious in my 3... one of the big reasons I broke my 36 month lease after 16 months.

I have a 2017 3 GT (6 months, 20,000 kms on it) and we have the new CX-5

The 3 is my daily commuter. It's only me 98% of the time and it's economical and a hoot to drive.

The CX-5 is my wife's DD (higher ride height) and our evening / weekend warrior (more space).

You can tell they have the same DNA, but the CX-5 is higher / quieter / smoother with bigger seats and more storage.

That said the 3 has plenty of space for my needs and I use the hatch every day. The 3 will be tight with a baby seat if that's a thing for you.

Go for CX-5 if you need space / height / AWD.

Go for the 3 if you want better MPG / more bang for your buck equipment wise or want something that you can really play with in the twisties. The face lifted 3 is quieter than it was before but the CX-5 is still quieter than the face lifted 3. I've never had an issue with it myself, take one for a hwy drive to see if it's an issue for you.

I would not consider that the 3 is in it's 4th year on the same chassis as a downside. It's a wonderful car inside and out :) The new leather interior on the upper trims is a very pleasant place to be.

The main reason to get the CX-5 over a Mazda3 is space and utility. You can simply haul more stuff in the CX-5. It is a better family car than the Mazda3 mostly due to increased passenger and cargo space. I can fit a rear facing child seat in my Speed3, but no one can sit on the front passenger seat. I can fit the same child seat on our CX-5 and a passenger can still use the front passenger seat, except if they are really tall or have long legs. We can fit two strollers side by side on the back of the CX-5; a Mazda3 hatchback will only be able to take one unless you stack them on top of each other. The CX-5 will most likely have a more comfy ride than a Mazda3 and you can get one in AWD if you want.

The main reason to get the Mazda3 over the CX-5 is better fuel economy and more driving fun. If you are single or don't foresee getting kids soon, the Mazda3 is almost a perfect daily driver. The hatchback will have decent cargo space, will be more fun to drive while still getting 30 combined MPG. It is a car so the lower ride height means a stiffer more responsive ride, but you will also get minimal body roll compared to the CX-5. As mentioned, more mods are available for the Mazda3 if you're into modding. Not to mention, you can get a manual equipped Mazda3 GT, which is an option that is not available on the Mazda6 or CX-5. Corksport if I'm not mistaken, is working on a LSD upgrade for a manual equipped Mazda3.

i went from on 07 3 hatch and i miss it dearly. yeah extra space is nice but we have a sorento for that, ground clearance was the deciding factor as our new house was in a new development where the roads where not fully paved and manholes where like 2+ inches high. hit one and went straight to the dealer to trade out of the 3. might go back when the roads are fixed. so i am leasing :)

The main reason to get the CX-5 over a Mazda3 is space and utility. You can simply haul more stuff in the CX-5. It is a better family car than the Mazda3 mostly due to increased passenger and cargo space. I can fit a rear facing child seat in my Speed3, but no one can sit on the front passenger seat. I can fit the same child seat on our CX-5 and a passenger can still use the front passenger seat, except if they are really tall or have long legs. We can fit two strollers side by side on the back of the CX-5; a Mazda3 hatchback will only be able to take one unless you stack them on top of each other. The CX-5 will most likely have a more comfy ride than a Mazda3 and you can get one in AWD if you want.

The CX-5 will fit this bill. More room than Mazda3 in terms of cabin space, legroom and of course cargo room. I am 6"2 and have no issues in either front seats in terms of legroom

Last edited:
Back