Cargo Space Questions: Family Of 4 & A Dog

dulanypeters

:
Car Coming Soon!
Hello all

I'm a forum newbie who is looking to lease a 2017 CX-9 in the grand touring trim. I live in NYC with 2 kids (age 6 and 8) and a chocolate lab (about 77 pounds). For us the car will NOT be daily driver b/c our work commuting is done via subway. We use the car on weekends, either driving to and form kid's sporting events and parties and the like, errands around the city or weekend trips (generally within 3 hours).

99% of the time it will be in the configuration with the 3rd row folded down, especially when we take weekend trips. We want the third row for city driving when the kid's have a friend or two we are taking to an event or a game or what not (short trips).

My real question is how much space 38 cubic feet translates into since those numbers are hard to visualize. Does anybody have two dimensional measurements of the back area w/the third row down?

My typical use case in summer is hauling two large LL Bean type duffle bags (they typically stack on top of one another and a back pack or two, along with the aformentioned dog, who typically curls up and lays down in the back. During the winter we haul ski gear (skis on a rack) but no dog, and the back seems plenty big for just bags.

We have survived in a BMW X3 which has 30 cubic feet of space in the cargo area (and obviously does not have 3 rows)....but it can be tight for the dog and we typically have to put a bag between the kids or on the floor at their feet, which I'd like to avoid.

Is the extra 8 cubic feet enough to make this a reality? I do plan on maximizing the cargo area to the fullest by utlizing the space below and the two wheel well areas (w/nets or something like that).

I love the CX-9 and do not want to bump up to an Acadia or Pilot b/c the CX-9 has some great advantages. But, at the end of the day, I need a car for the family (not just my driving sensibility) and I don't want to be too shortchanged on the cargo (we have grown out of the X3).

Any use case opinions from those in similar circumstances would be appreciated! The dog is what kind of throws a variable into our calculus.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Since the cubic foot measurement doesn't take space configuration into account, actual measurement likely won't tell you what you want to know.
In many vehicles, some of the "available" space is taken up by barely-usable nooks and crannies.

I know that my third row is down most of the time and that I'm able to haul several dogs and dog crates without issue.
Then again, my kids are grown and gone; so I don't have to accommodate them and their detritus.

My suggestion is to take your duffle bags and backpacks with you when you go look at the CX-9.
Stuff them in the back in different configurations, visualize or measure remaining space for the dog, and determine whether the configuration is workable for you.

Good idea....or I can try to arrange one of those extended test drives I have read about on this forum, where people take the car overnight.

Also: Since I know how much space my dog needs to lie down comfortably having the length/width dimensions would help. I typically measure when I do test drives. Anybody know simply the size, in inches, of the cargo area when the 3rd row is folded down? Just the floor space, not dimensional space.

Hello all

I'm a forum newbie who is looking to lease a 2017 CX-9 in the grand touring trim. I live in NYC with 2 kids (age 6 and 8) and a chocolate lab (about 77 pounds). For us the car will NOT be daily driver b/c our work commuting is done via subway. We use the car on weekends, either driving to and form kid's sporting events and parties and the like, errands around the city or weekend trips (generally within 3 hours).

99% of the time it will be in the configuration with the 3rd row folded down, especially when we take weekend trips. We want the third row for city driving when the kid's have a friend or two we are taking to an event or a game or what not (short trips).

My real question is how much space 38 cubic feet translates into since those numbers are hard to visualize. Does anybody have two dimensional measurements of the back area w/the third row down?

My typical use case in summer is hauling two large LL Bean type duffle bags (they typically stack on top of one another and a back pack or two, along with the aformentioned dog, who typically curls up and lays down in the back. During the winter we haul ski gear (skis on a rack) but no dog, and the back seems plenty big for just bags.

We have survived in a BMW X3 which has 30 cubic feet of space in the cargo area (and obviously does not have 3 rows)....but it can be tight for the dog and we typically have to put a bag between the kids or on the floor at their feet, which I'd like to avoid.

Is the extra 8 cubic feet enough to make this a reality? I do plan on maximizing the cargo area to the fullest by utlizing the space below and the two wheel well areas (w/nets or something like that).

I love the CX-9 and do not want to bump up to an Acadia or Pilot b/c the CX-9 has some great advantages. But, at the end of the day, I need a car for the family (not just my driving sensibility) and I don't want to be too shortchanged on the cargo (we have grown out of the X3).

Any use case opinions from those in similar circumstances would be appreciated! The dog is what kind of throws a variable into our calculus.

Thanks!!

From my experience also coming from a vehicle with approx 30 cu ft of cargo space, my new CX9 with 38 isn't significantly larger...for my needs we were fine with the 30 but going to 38 was a plus and also the extra 2 seats in 3rd row. The other draw back for you would likely be the load height of the cargo area which is high and might be tough for your dog. I suggest if you are really looking for a larger cargo space to consider other vehicles...that's why I also think the CX9 doesn't sell that well is when compared to other 3-row CUV that other brands have better cargo space. Sure, driving dynamics go to the CX9 but for the other attributes it falls short compared to the competition. At end of day it'll depend on your main priority...

The CX-9 is definitely not the hauler that my Isuzu Trooper was. I like the CX-9 but often wish I had the boxier rear cargo space of the Pilot. The seats fold nice and flat but it feels like the rear of the vehicle is filled up with folded seats.

Ya....I'm torn. I think it's the best driver in the class, and the best looking. I am looking at the Pilot as well...but that's more space than I'll usually need. It's a tough call. I need to take a look at the MX9 with the load I'm typically hauling and see how it does. As I said we are able to pack all we need and the dog into the back of an X3....it's just a tad tight.

FWIW, I can fit two large duffels and there's plenty of space for my 40lbs PWD mix to walk around and sleep back there.

... I like the CX-9 but often wish I had the boxier rear cargo space of the Pilot. ...
Don't get me wrong. I don't wish I had bought the Pilot instead of the CX-9. All around, I much prefer the Mazda and am very happy with it.

Canadian measurement for reference: Hockey stick and 2-4 of beer.
Not sure if this helps...If your pup will be riding in the back, could he make this jump? The roof may be a little low for him to sit up.

IMG_1950_zps6dyh9jlr.jpg

I just went to the dealer for a 2nd test drive....loved the car just as much this go round, really got to see all the safety features and heads up display in use (what a sweet feature). And I took bags and loaded up the car with an average summer weekend load, minus the dog, but can now see how much room there is. The answer: There is plenty.

I did some measurements. With 3rd row down it's 42 inches across x 49 inches deep, for a total of 14.29 square feet (my BMW x3 has 9.75 square feet), and that does not count the twin cubbies on either side near the wheel wells, which measure 9" deep x 13" across x 9" high.....or the space underneath those or under the cargo area (which was able to hold a decently loaded backpack).

With all 3 rows up there was still room for all the bags I had brought. Obviously the dog wouldn't fit in the back but on such occasions she would not be there. Only time I'd have the 3rd row up with gear in the back is for a trip to/from a baseball or soccer game with my two kids and more than one friend of theirs, with their gear. I measured it at 40" across x 21" deep with all 3 rows in place.

Our dog can jump up into the X3 cargo area....but this is a big higher, and she's getting older, but I can lift her. In terms of height the CX9 cargo area is definitely not tall--31" was the measurement I got. Enough room for her to stand up, and room to sit (she's at about 28" when she sits). But 99% of the time she is laying down, curled up and resting, when we drive. She stands when we get close to a destination.

I also didn't stack the bags, which I often do, bungeeing them in.....I think four needs there is plenty of room. For me square footage and linear measurement is a much better tool than cubic feet....We typically don't need the height that much.

I plan to add the cargo nets so that I can use the side well areas efficiently, and i'll keep some tools and other items that I don't need all the time in the space under the side wells.

Thanks for all the advice.

Canadian measurement for reference: Hockey stick and 2-4 of beer.
Not sure if this helps...If your pup will be riding in the back, could he make this jump? The roof may be a little low for him to sit up.

IMG_1950_zps6dyh9jlr.jpg

nice color :).. my wife is starting to see more and more CX9 around our area now :).. it's starting to get popular now.

Yep not as much room as some of the other options, but its worth it for me. You can always do a cargo box on the hitch.. I'd even prefer that to going back to a land barge.

We've done two weekends in the car thus far and there is plenty of room for the dog and our weekend bags (and my wife is not exactly what I'd call a light packer). It's plenty of room for our needs.. Every time I see a Pilot I am happy I chose Mazda.

We've done two weekends in the car thus far and there is plenty of room for the dog and our weekend bags (and my wife is not exactly what I'd call a light packer). It's plenty of room for our needs.. Every time I see a Pilot I am happy I chose Mazda.

Glad that it meets your needs and that you're pleased with the choice.
Mine was one year old on Saturday and I still love it!

There is plenty of room for my tallish (for a pit mix) 65lb dog in the back with 3rd row down. Plenty of room for him to lay down and then some.
He would be very cramped with 3rd row up, would be able to sit but NOT lay down comfortably. It IS doable for a short trip of say 30 mins or less.

The CX-9 will easily hold 4 adults and a good sized duffle/small carry-on for each and maybe 1-2 extra bags with no problems with 3rd row down.

I've done a lot of camping and bring a LOT of gear with both seats down, there is way more room than I need.

I have had 7 adults in the car for quick trips (think out to dinner with friends or everyone at camp piling in to go find a dry place to wait out rain) about 8-9 times.
If people sit according to size (shortest in back, medium 2nd row, and tallest up front) there are no problems fitting everyone comfortably for trips of about 30 minutes. Longer trips would be pushing it for 3rd row passengers, even short ones.

4+1 cargo space input..

We just returned from a camping weekend, not with 4 humans +1 dog, rather 4 adult sized humans +1 kid sized human. My viewpoint is not coming from something smaller like an X3, but rather coming from a minivan with much more space.. With the CX9 it was pretty tough. The higher floor height above the folded 3rd row made for not enough space for all our gear. We made it work, but ended up with passengers having things on their laps and under their legs. Next time we will probably do a soft pack on the back hatch, or hard carrier on top of the vehicle. Minivan's low floor height really shines for cargo space.

Last edited:
I can see how with 5 people and gear it would be very tight....You'd have to have all the seating up, right? There's not much room left in the rear at that point.

Thus far for us it's proving plenty roomy for the dog, 2 kids, wife and I plus our weekend gear.

You know that brings up a good point. It would be interesting to try packing with the 3rd row deployed for cargo... we never tried that! I will try that next time to see which way is better. We only tried packing with the 3rd row folded down.

Not that I am regretting the switch from the minivan, far from it. The CX9 beats it hands down for 9/10ths of what we use it for. This camping trip was simply in that 1/10th where it does not. I will be a little more content with a cargo carrier and a bike rack on there..

We just returned from a camping weekend, not with 4 humans +1 dog, rather 4 adult sized humans +1 kid sized human. My viewpoint is not coming from something smaller like an X3, but rather coming from a minivan with much more space.. With the CX9 it was pretty tough. The higher floor height above the folded 3rd row made for not enough space for all our gear. We made it work, but ended up with passengers having things on their laps and under their legs. Next time we will probably do a soft pack on the back hatch, or hard carrier on top of the vehicle. Minivan's low floor height really shines for cargo space.

How's engine performance with a full load like this?

Back