Dashboard brake lights all lit up and flashing red/orange

Just spoke with my Mazda dealer. The revised/updated EBP module is on order and will be here tomorrow morning.

Just spoke with my Mazda dealer. The revised/updated EBP module is on order and will be here tomorrow morning.
Boy, you're lucky! Give us some tricks how did you trigger the EPB warning lights? ;)

Boy, you're lucky! Give us some tricks how did you trigger the EPB warning lights? ;)

lol I wish I knew. I noticed yesterday morning first thing. I do use my brake every time I park. I know some people don't do that.

lol I wish I knew. I noticed yesterday morning first thing. I do use my brake every time I park. I know some people don't do that.

i'd like to see a poll on EPB usage.... maybe i'll set one up if I feel inclined...

maybe something like:

1- I use EPB all the time
2- I use EPB when temps are above freezing
3- I sometimes use EPB
4- I never use EPB

i'd like to see a poll on EPB usage.... maybe i'll set one up if I feel inclined...

maybe something like:

3- I sometimes use EPB
4- I never use EPB

Yeah that'd be interesting. I bought my cx5 back in Sept 2015, I have used by EPB every time.

maybe something like:

3- I sometimes use EPB
4- I never use EPB
May be a bit late. We should also find out if one release the EPB manually or just press the gas padel and let the system release it by itself?

May be a bit late. We should also find out if one release the EPB manually or just press the gas padel and let the system release it by itself?

I considered that, but didn't want to make it too complicated. I guess if folks add comments to the thread they can state that piece...

So I get in my car today, go to release the parking brake and it's blinking orange. The actual electronic parking brake. Then I look up and on the dashboard, the red parking light is flashing red and then there was the orange one lit up. Tried turning the car on and off, nothing. Anyway, dropped it off at Mazda and they gave me a rental. They said they've never seen this before. Ughh.

Has anyone seen this before? Hoping just something electrical. Brakes actually still worked so I'm hoping electrical and not mechanical. Either way, not good to have this happen so early on.

Hi bro
I just got second hand mazda 6 2016
And after few days I found out same as ur issue with electronic parking break
I wish u ur problems was solved successfully
I want to inquire what u did with the dealer ?
And what is the TSB that they change it for u?
Is it a newer version of the EPB?
And my last question is the warranty covered the repair?
Thanks

Re-starting this thread! I have a similar problem with my emergency brake lights coming on. I just bought a used Mazda cx-5 from a mazda dealership in california. Car drove great during the test drive and the 75+ miles back to my house. However, 3 days later I found myself driving at dusk and when I went to turn on my headlights, both parking lights came on as well. Now, every time I turn on my headlights, regardless of the car being in drive or parked, both emergency parking brake lights come on and dont go away unless I turn the car and headlights off and start the car again.

This seems to be an electrical issue and i'm wondering if this would fall under a warranty? The car only has 39k miles on it as well...

I would assume when you bought the CX5 from the dealer they provided at least a 30 day warranty. I can't imagine a warranty that ends when you drive it off the lot. Have you contacted them?

Re-starting this thread! I have a similar problem with my emergency brake lights coming on. I just bought a used Mazda cx-5 from a mazda dealership in california. Car drove great during the test drive and the 75+ miles back to my house. However, 3 days later I found myself driving at dusk and when I went to turn on my headlights, both parking lights came on as well. Now, every time I turn on my headlights, regardless of the car being in drive or parked, both emergency parking brake lights come on and dont go away unless I turn the car and headlights off and start the car again.

This seems to be an electrical issue and i'm wondering if this would fall under a warranty? The car only has 39k miles on it as well...

emergency brake lights <===== I have no idea what you are referring to. Can you explain?

went to turn on my headlights, both parking lights came on as well <===== That's completely normal.

both emergency parking brake lights come on <===== Now you combine the parking lights with the 'emergency brake lights' to come up with emergency parking lights. Again, no idea what you're talking about here.

My bad, I was distracted at work while typing this. When I turn my headlights on, both of the parking brake lights on my dashboard come on. The parking brake doesnt engage until the car has been turned off. Only then am I able to press the parking brake button and disengage the parking brake lights on my dashboard. I hope this helps!

My bad, I was distracted at work while typing this. When I turn my headlights on, both of the parking brake lights on my dashboard come on. The parking brake doesnt engage until the car has been turned off. Only then am I able to press the parking brake button and disengage the parking brake lights on my dashboard. I hope this helps!
Although your description of Electrical Parking Brake problem is strange, but if your CX-5 is 2016 / 2016.5 MY, your EPB problem should be related to EPB dragging issue caused by rear brake calipers. There're several TSBs for this EPB dragging issue because Mazda didn't figure out what was the root cause in the beginning. Mazda started to replace EPB control module with software fix, as indicated in TSB 04-005/16, just like cylinder deactivation issue with software fix on first try, and thiss what you saw in this thread for OP. Eventually Mazda have to revise the rear brake calipers to fix the dragging problem as indicated in TSB R052/16C.

TSB 04-005/16: Noise from Rear Brakes Due To Brake Drag

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

See more related posts in the following threads:

Parking brake malfunction

2016 rear brake TSB resolution

Since you just bought your CX-5 from a Mazda dealer, take your car to the dealer and show them the TSB R052/16C. The problem you described is covered under 3-year / 36,000-mile new car warranty, unless you bought a CPO from the Mazda dealer.

my 2016 CX-5 has been giving me the flashing brake lights. I found I could turn them off by resetting the parking brake. you do this by putting the parking brake into "maintenance mode" which is a process that electronically backs off the piston so the rear brakes can be serviced. after putting it into maintenance mode you just reverse the process by taking it out of maintenance mode and the parking brake will reset and the flashing lights will go out next time you start the car.

There is a good video on YouTube on setting maintenance mode. Look it up. it goes something like this: with no feet on any pedals, hit the Start button twice. then depress the gas pedal to the floor then lift up on the parking brake lever. while both the gas pedal and brake lever are being held, hit the Start button 3 times. then you can let go of the brake lever and gas pedal. you should hear a motor humming that is backing off the parking brake piston. the brake lights will be flashing. after that just reverse it. do the exact same sequence, but this time push the parking brake lever down while doing it. you'll hear the brake motor hum again. this is now calibrating where the piston is on the brake. shut the car off and then start the car and the flashing lights should go off.

I've had to do this twice now in the past month. i'm assuming my EPB is bad, but it's out of warranty (66k miles) and I'm not about to dump hundreds of dollars into something like that. I can tell the parking brake is not actually engaged when it flashes as it doesn't slow the car down at all. try driving it with the brake engaged and you'll see what I mean. you can barely move it. I'm wondering if the EPB is just failing to incrementally adjust the rear brakes as they wear and suddenly it's discovering it's out of range and giving the error lights. resetting them by taking them in and out of maintenance mode seems to work, though.

btw, my battery has also been failing lately. it's the original battery. i don't know if that's related to the parking brake light going off. i guess Mazda doesn't put very hardy batteries in their cars. most will give you at least 5 years. it hasn't even been 4 since i bought the car. any recommendations on a new battery? i don't want a Mazda battery given this experience.

Last edited:
They use Panasonic. I had a no start issue on my 16.5 but the battery tech said it was undercharged. I trickle charged it until the voltage was over 14v. I havent had to replace yet.

The electrical system is designed to protect the battery from ruin by shutting down before the voltage gets too low.

Ive read a lot of people get low batteries because of extra starting -lights- heater use etc. during the winter but more batteries die in the heat of summer.

Back