Dashboard brake lights all lit up and flashing red/orange

jhu8

:
16 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech
So I get in my car today, go to release the parking brake and it's blinking orange. The actual electronic parking brake. Then I look up and on the dashboard, the red parking light is flashing red and then there was the orange one lit up. Tried turning the car on and off, nothing. Anyway, dropped it off at Mazda and they gave me a rental. They said they've never seen this before. Ughh.

Has anyone seen this before? Hoping just something electrical. Brakes actually still worked so I'm hoping electrical and not mechanical. Either way, not good to have this happen so early on.

I've had the sport mode switch light flash orange and not engage before, but don't think I've seen the parking brake light behave like that.

In my case, I'm guessing when the sport mode switch did that to me it was because I didn't press it long enough to engage.

Probably not a helpful answer, but I'm kinda bored. Lol.

Good luck.

I've had the sport mode switch light flash orange and not engage before, but don't think I've seen the parking brake light behave like that.

In my case, I'm guessing when the sport mode switch did that to me it was because I didn't press it long enough to engage.

Probably not a helpful answer, but I'm kinda bored. Lol.

Good luck.

Lol it's okay. It won't activate for instance if you are mid turn. You have to be going straight. I've had it flash on me before for that reason.

Hmm, it won't engage during a turn? That might have explained it then. Thx

Nope. Gotta be going straight. No problem.

BTW the rental is a Mazda 3 hatch. First had the cx3. Hatedddd it. Sucks I gotta wait till Monday.

So I get in my car today, go to release the parking brake and it's blinking orange. The actual electronic parking brake. Then I look up and on the dashboard, the red parking light is flashing red and then there was the orange one lit up. Tried turning the car on and off, nothing. Anyway, dropped it off at Mazda and they gave me a rental. They said they've never seen this before. Ughh.

Has anyone seen this before? Hoping just something electrical. Brakes actually still worked so I'm hoping electrical and not mechanical. Either way, not good to have this happen so early on.
I believe your electric parking brake situation has something to do with a TSB where the electric parking brake module needs to get replaced with an enhanced version. I think you're lucky actually. I was trying to get my dealer to replace the module but they said I've to have an error code like you just did to honor the TSB! I'm afraid my inferior electric parking brake module eventually would fail after my warranty expired. That would be an expensive repair!

Not only you may get an enhanced electric parking brake module, but also you can enjoy a Mazda3 which is not a bad hatchback. Nice! :)

I've only used the electronic parking brake once and not even sure to this day how to disengage it.

I've only used the electronic parking brake once and not even sure to this day how to disengage it.
(boom05)
Pull up on parking brake to apply.
Push down on parking brake to release. OR Just put in DRIVE and the Parking brake releases automatically upon takeoff.

Last edited:
Wait so if you push sport mode during a corner it won't drop a gear? what the.. "sport". "electronic" parking brake. (hand)
poop-smiley.png

Last edited:
I believe your electric parking brake situation has something to do with a TSB where the electric parking brake module needs to get replaced with an enhanced version. I think you're lucky actually. I was trying to get my dealer to replace the module but they said I've to have an error code like you just did to honor the TSB! I'm afraid my inferior electric parking brake module eventually would fail after my warranty expired. That would be an expensive repair!

Not only you may get an enhanced electric parking brake module, but also you can enjoy a Mazda3 which is not a bad hatchback. Nice! :)

Hmm very good info. I guess I hope you're right then lol I will certainly keep you guys updated. And yes, the Mazda 3 is the same fun car that I remember test driving before getting my CX5.

Wait so if you push sport mode during a corner it won't drop a gear? what the.. "sport". "electronic" parking brake. (hand)
poop-smiley.png

I mean, it make sense. If you are even remotely taking a turn hard, both your hands should probably be on the steering wheel and not searching for a little sport button. I know wellll before a turn if I wanna have some fun. Plenty of time to activate. Maybe in the future they can add it on the steering wheel. Perhaps some paddle shifters?

Hmm very good info. I guess I hope you're right then lol I will certainly keep you guys updated. And yes, the Mazda 3 is the same fun car that I remember test driving before getting my CX5.
There're at least 2 TSBs concerning electric parking brake for early production of 2016 CX-5. In both case a new enhanced (revised) EPB control module is required to replace the original one. So I really want my EPB warning light on or flashing before the warranty expires so that I can have a chance to get a enhanced EPB control module under warranty and don't have to be living under the fear of paying the expensive EPB control module later! In any case, if I were you I'd take this opportunity demanding the Mazda dealer to replace the original inferior EPB control module based on these related TSBs.

Rear Brake Pad Wear and Electronic Parking Brake Service Bulletin

Great. One more thing to worry about. Anyone know what it would cost to replace the EPB module after the warranty expires?

There're at least 2 TSBs concerning electric parking brake for early production of 2016 CX-5. In both case a new enhanced (revised) EPB control module is required to replace the original one. So I really want my EPB warning light on or flashing before the warranty expires so that I can have a chance to get a enhanced EPB control module under warranty and don't have to be living under the fear of paying the expensive EPB control module later! In any case, if I were you I'd take this opportunity demanding the Mazda dealer to replace the original inferior EPB control module based on these related TSBs.

Rear Brake Pad Wear and Electronic Parking Brake Service Bulletin

Yeah I will certainly tell them that I want it completely replaced. I tried searching for the TSB but am coming up empty. I found this http://www.mazdaproblems.com/tsbs/CX-5/2016/ but doesn't give you much info. I remember had the TSB for my headlight fogging issue and it was really detailed.

Hmm, it won't engage during a turn? That might have explained it then. Thx

There's a blurb about this somewhere in the owner's manual. Mazda doesn't want us getting sporty in the middle of an 'aggressive' maneuver, or something to that effect.

I went to that and the links I saw were dead. I'll mess with it later.
In post #9 the link posted by Kedis82ZE8 from oemdtc.com is dead. But Kedis82ZE8 had provided some details from the EPB TSB related to cold weather. In post #13 Anchorman attached a different official EPB TSB with full details. Both TSBs mentioned the original EPB control module needs to be replaced with a revised EPB control module.

In post #9 the link posted by Kedis82ZE8 from oemdtc.com is dead. But Kedis82ZE8 had provided some details from the EPB TSB related to cold weather. In post #13 Anchorman attached a different official EPB TSB with full details. Both TSBs mentioned the original EPB control module needs to be replaced with a revised EPB control module.

Okay cool will check it out. Thanks!

Great. One more thing to worry about. Anyone know what it would cost to replace the EPB module after the warranty expires?
The TSB provided by Anchorman listed KA0G-43-7E1E as the new part number for EPB Unit. But there's an even newer revision KA0G-43-7E1G came out for $330 list. From version A to revision G, 5 revisions in 2 years!

Back