Automatic to Manual Conversion

HippemHop

:
2003 Mazda Proteg5
So i got a new engine for my 2003 Mazda p5. When I bought the engine, I put forth as much effort as I could to make sure it was for a manual transmission. I have a manual, but they sent me an automatic. How do I convert my block to fit my manual transmission? Everything fits down to the flywheel, including clutch assembly. Except my clock pattern doesn't match. It looks as though I can take my short block off my old engine and swap it to my new one? Am I correct or in over my head?

That's what I thought too after much research into buying a new engine. But there is bolt that goes into the block but he tranny had no female. And theres a chunk of tyranny hanging off with two bolt holes that lead to nothing.

The area "hanging off with two bolt holes" is for the starter. Make sure you've got it oriented right. And the front of the block has the casting: "FS" correct?

Yeah, it is the fs motor and fs9 heads. I was told that I can swap the shortblocks of each engine as long as the old one didn't seize. If I did the bolt pattern would exactly match up. Also, would it being fs-ze compared to fs-de make a difference? I was told from reputable sources that it wouldnt matter. But now thinking otherwise.

I have a block from an auto in my MSP. I swapped the upper oil pan for the turbo so it fit perfectly. If you swap the upper oil pan from your manual engine all the bolts will line up. You have to swap the shim that goes between the engine and trans as well. Otherwise you can keep the upper oil pan, only one bolt doesn't line up, it will be fine.

That is exactly what I had to do. It looked more troublesome than it actually was. Pretty much just a seperator plate to the oil pan to match the auto tranny. Take it out and it bolts right up to manual.

Back