Initial Sales Figures for 2nd-Gen 2017 Mazda CX-5

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Here are sales figures related to initial US sales of 2nd-gen 2017 Mazda CX-5 with year-over-year (YoY) and month-over-month (MoM) percent changes:

Mazda CX-5201620172017 MoM % ChangeYoY % Change
January7,0638,068+14.2%
February7,5797,836-2.9%+3.4%
March8,9658,470+8.1%-5.5%
April8,82611,334+33.8%+28.4%
May9,95111,819+4.3%+18.8%

New 2nd-gen CX-5 started to reach US dealers during the first week of April. In the mean time Mazda offered heavy incentive of $2,000 cash back for its 2016.5 CX-5's.

For comparison, here're CX-5 competitor's sales figures for the month of May, 2017:

Compact CUVsUS Sales
May 2017
Toyota RAV438,356
Nissan Rogue32,533
Honda CR-V32,186
Ford Escape27,830
Chevrolet Equinox20,908
Subaru Forester16,280
Subaru Outback15,193
Jeep Cherokee14,635
Mazda CX-511,819
Hyundai Tucson10,600
Kia Sportage5,672

So, it appears the '17 CX-5 is resonating with buyers and potentially bringing in buyers from other brands. No, they don't have the brand awareness of the others, but who knows... maybe the "Kodo ads" are working.

Didn't Mazda state they're okay with their 5 year plan to slowly build up sales?

I'd guess as long as sales are up, even ever so slightly, they're cool with the results.

I'll give them a minimum 2 years to see if the premium move has any traction.

Of course my CX5 will most likely be gone by then.... sadly....

Decent YoY gains but def still working out the incentivized gen1s so we won't have a clear picture as to how the '17 is really doing until the 16.5s are largely blown out

Decent YoY gains but def still working out the incentivized gen1s so we won't have a clear picture as to how the '17 is really doing until the 16.5s are largely blown out

My local dealer still has a handful of first gen CX5s. Then again, even a few months ago they had some leftover 2014 6s they couldn't get rid of, even with $6k discounts.

Nice increase! Can you link to your source? Not that I don't believe you, but I like to review stats for myself :)

It's obvious the 3 and 6 need their next gen models to boost lagging sales.

The 6 has never been a good seller especially over here. People are moving away from passenger cars to SUV's. So an update may hold the slide but won't improve sales that much.

The 6 has never been a good seller especially over here. People are moving away from passenger cars to SUV's. So an update may hold the slide but won't improve sales that much.

Agreed. Same thing happening in the US. SUVs/CUVs are the hot ticket. With that said, if Mazda introduces their 4 door coupe, upgrades it like the CX-5 and puts more HP and torque in it, it might be a contender when my A4 lease is up. I like the direction they are heading. I have seen a few CX-9s on the road and that is one good-looking SUV for the $$$.

Agreed. Same thing happening in the US. SUVs/CUVs are the hot ticket. With that said, if Mazda introduces their 4 door coupe, upgrades it like the CX-5 and puts more HP and torque in it, it might be a contender when my A4 lease is up. I like the direction they are heading. I have seen a few CX-9s on the road and that is one good-looking SUV for the $$$.
All depends on how much funds an independent company like Mazda has or wants to spend

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They should have just chopped the 3rd row and made "it" the new CX5. This mid-8 second 0-60 is unacceptable from a company that has "zoom zoom" as a slogan. More like "wheeze gasp".

They should have just chopped the 3rd row and made "it" the new CX5. This mid-8 second 0-60 is unacceptable from a company that has "zoom zoom" as a slogan. More like "wheeze gasp".
Actually Mazda has a plan to drop a third row seat into the CX-5 and call it the "CX-8" in Asian market! (whistle)

Actually, all they have to do is add the new sound deadening to the Mazda 6 and that car, with the premium option, is really nice.

At the same time, the V6 Honda Accord Coupe is an amazing car for almost the same exact price!

Last edited:
If the gains are that noticeable now when sales are largely down to people "chopping in" early to get the new model, the numbers could really grow as owners make their routine changes and word gets round what the new model has to offer.

Back