Blank Infotainment CX9

Is infotainment system running correctly?

• No issues

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Occasional issues

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Dealer has fixed issues

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Dealer fixed and still having issues

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Working with corporate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Prize package

:
2016 CX9
My car is six months old. 2016 CX9 touring. Two weeks after I bought it the infotainment screen went blank. Took it to dealership and they replaced the display. Three months later, issue occurs again. This time entire computer was replaced. The third time I was told Mazda was working in a software update. After two weeks, I picked up my car from the dealership. Two weeks later, I have the black screen of death again. I bought a new car in December and I expected it to function 100%.
Is anyone else having this issue and have you contacted corporate? I feel like Mazda may know this is a systematic issue and aren't doing anything to resolve the issue or compensate me, the consumer.

I love my 2016 Mazda CX-9. However reliability of Mazda Connect infotainment software is less than ideal. I experience reboot every now and then and bluetooth connection is also hit and miss. And some settings don't seem to work as expected and constant repeated speed camera warning message when I am waiting for traffic signal, etc etc.

It appears that many dealership having technicians who are not knowledgeable enough to understand software issues they simply attempt to solve the problem by replacing hardware without properly escalating the issue all the way to Mazda headquarter and to the supplier of the infotainment, Visteon.

Note: The infotainment was originally developed by Johnson Controls Inc, and Visteon acquired automotive electronics business from JCI. See http://www.visteon.com/products/infotainment.html. Visteon being a company spun up from Ford, I am sure Mazda had to choose this unproven infotainment as Ford being large stock holder in past.

So far I am not confident that Visteon can produce reliable infotainment nor they have capacity to deliver update fast enough. Mazda being a small company is also not helping anyway. If Toyota or Honda has this kind of software issue, I am sure a lot more people are not pleased and sure it will become a news topic rather than a forum posting.

For now, it appears one of best resource for Mazda Connect is Mazda3Revolution forum. See http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics. Try there for your problem and see if there are anyone who has the same issue.

And if you want to further, try talk to Mazda directly to escalate the issue so that the problem can be properly diagnosed. http://mazda.custhelp.com/app/ask

I wish Visteon has some sort of support channel too, but normally supplier of automotive cannot be reached directly most of time. You can try here but I don't expect they will take your inquiry seriously enough:
http://www.visteon.com/utils/contact/index.html

Last edited:
The biggest issue I have with this is my 2016 Mazda6 with the same exact system is 95% reliable. My 2016 CX-9 GT crashes or blanks 2-3 times a week. Also the back up camera is not engaging when reverse is selected. Probably 1/10 times I back out of my driveway.

i kept complaining to Mazda and they kept updating the software but it didn't fix it. Finally they replaced the screen and all the problems are gone...crossing my fingers..

If you guys are still having issues i would be very persistent with your dealership / service advisor. Ask to have your car left there while they provide a loaner and have them come to a root cause which is what i did. I told them this MUST be fixed.

For me, i had to deal with the screen going blank for like 8 months on occassions to the point that i explained to them this is a creating a hazardeous condition to me because essential vehicle functions like gps and back up camera is not available.

If they say here is no software update ( which they told me) do not buy that BS and make sure they escalate the issue to their tech line.

I hope you guys have this resolved soon.

Last edited:
My car is six months old. 2016 CX9 touring. Two weeks after I bought it the infotainment screen went blank. Took it to dealership and they replaced the display. Three months later, issue occurs again. This time entire computer was replaced. The third time I was told Mazda was working in a software update. After two weeks, I picked up my car from the dealership. Two weeks later, I have the black screen of death again. I bought a new car in December and I expected it to function 100%.
Is anyone else having this issue and have you contacted corporate? I feel like Mazda may know this is a systematic issue and aren't doing anything to resolve the issue or compensate me, the consumer.

Very weird. I had the reboot issue in the past but I don't experience any issues in the last 6 months. I just disable contacts/sms sync. But I had the reboot issue, not the black screen issue. The weird stuff is they change it all and you has been experienced the issue again. Perhaps bad luck?. Try to request to replace again the screen and computer at the same time.

Hi, got the same problem got my car just a month ago then suddenly the screen went black.
ill be returning to the dealer and any suggestion to ask them about it?

Hi, got the same problem got my car just a month ago then suddenly the screen went black.
ill be returning to the dealer and any suggestion to ask them about it?

Hi Joseferrero,

How many times did it happen? My situation is different as i didn't complain initially that hard..i told them it goes blank every one in a while (which is true) but after sometime, it was shutting down several times a day!

It was only when I started to shout they finally escalated the issue (keep in mind i had to deal with this for 8 months).

I made my dealer aware of this forum and the several complaints documenting it but they don't want to read or care about it. Seems they have some protocol or process on dealing with these issues.

I would suggest that if they don't fix it, document it every time it happens, complain and be persistent with them.

They finally replaced my screen and all my issues are resolved.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I got my CX-9 in June 2016, Infotainment system used to crash ~ one time every 2 weeks, after update to V59 few months ago it crashed once maybe twice.

Last edited:
Just found the my CX-9 Infotainment system went blank this morning, the car is not even 2 months old! Found this forum and seems that I am not the only one had this issue. Got to contact dealer to have it fixed.

Just found the my CX-9 Infotainment system went blank this morning, the car is not even 2 months old! Found this forum and seems that I am not the only one had this issue. Got to contact dealer to have it fixed.

Have had mine (MY2017) for 13 months now and the infotainment system has gone blank or rebooted only a few times...usually rebooting the system does help (turning off vehicle and restarting it)...in cases where you are driving and cannot turn ignition off, then perform a hard reboot on the system by pressing all buttons at same time (back+NAV+mute) and it'll reboot. Seems to have worked for me...it doesn't happen a lot and I haven't taken it to dealer or even upgraded the firmware since I took delivery of it.

The software version seems to be the big thing, the latest iteration being the most stable. I've had my CX-9 for going on four months now and it has crashed exactly once in that time. I was able to reboot and it continued on without an issue. That was on a long (two day) road trip using the navigation continuously.

Have had mine (MY2017) for 13 months now and the infotainment system has gone blank or rebooted only a few times...usually rebooting the system does help (turning off vehicle and restarting it)...in cases where you are driving and cannot turn ignition off, then perform a hard reboot on the system by pressing all buttons at same time (back+NAV+mute) and it'll reboot. Seems to have worked for me...it doesn't happen a lot and I haven't taken it to dealer or even upgraded the firmware since I took delivery of it.
Thanks. The dealer was not sure what went wrong since the SW on the infotainment is the latest. They replaced the SD card and seems that it is working fine for now. But I don't think that they found the root cause. Hopefully it won't happen again, we will see...

How do you check the software version ?

Go to your MZD Connect system...

Go to Home Screen.
Settings,
System,
scroll down to About
Version Info

Gracenote should be version 8; if you have navigation, Mazda released a new maps update on Feb 1, 2018

I have a 2017 CX-9 Signature. From November 2017 to about 10 days ago, I experienced intermittent rebooting and blank screens. It seemed that colder temperatures also affected the boot process. Anyway, after reading on this forum that an update to the current firmware (59.00.504) might solve the problem, I asked my dealer to install it. He said I would be the guinea pig as no one else who receives service at the dealership (Stokes Mazda in Charleston, S.C.) had had the update. I am happy to report that I have not had a single problem since that time.

I also had a black screen just yesterday. I chalked it up to the cold weather but it was really annoying. I ended up pulling into a gas station, turning off the car, then restarting. Seemed to do the trick. I definitely documented it and will be contacting the dealer should it happen again seeing as how I just got the car in November (2018 CX-9).

Back