Towing on CX-5?

antoxa310

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GS
Can anyone share their experience with towing on CX-5? Doesn't matter if it's 1st or 2nd generation since the engine is the same.

I am considering getting the 2017 CX-5 but have my doubts about whether the engine would be enough for what I want to do. A typical scenario would be 4 people in the car + camping gear + canoe on the roof (or alternatively a boat on a trailer, below 2k lbs). Any thoughts about how easy/difficult it is to merge into traffic on highways, going uphill, etc? Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Can you even get gear, food, ice, paddles, etc for FOUR people in the back of a CX5? I believe you're in CX9 territory.

When I go on a 1 week fishing trip with 3 buddies, my 4Runner is stuffed to the ceiling.

Can you even get gear, food, ice, paddles, etc for FOUR people in the back of a CX5? I believe you're in CX9 territory.

When I go on a 1 week fishing trip with 3 buddies, my 4Runner is stuffed to the ceiling.

The CX-9 would hold less gear than the 5. With the seats up in both, the 5 actually has more than double the room of the 9...

The CX-9 would hold less gear than the 5. With the seats up in both, the 5 actually has more than double the room of the 9...

Third row seats down I can't imagine the CX-9 having less room behind the second row seats then the CX-5. With the third row up, yes there is a lot less room. I looked it up actually, the CX-9 has 38 cubic feet of space with the third row down and the CX-5 has 30.9 cubic feet with the rear seats up, so the CX-9 is bigger, but not by much.

Last edited:
Third row seats down I can't imagine the CX-9 having less room behind the second row seats then the CX-5. With the third row up, yes there is a lot less room. I looked it up actually, the CX-9 has 38 cubic feet of space with the third row down and the CX-5 has 30.9 cubic feet with the rear seats up, so the CX-9 is bigger, but not by much.

I looked it up again before I posted. The CX-9 having just about zero room with the seats up is a huge reason it isn't selling well...

I looked it up again before I posted the first time...The CX-9 having just about zero room with the seats up is a huge reason it isn't selling well...

Yeah, the two "people" at the back are more likely to be gear instead but when we go in a big group and a few cars together, some shuffling could happen.

Thanks for the link to the thread, it looks like the CX-5 doesn't have issues dealing with these kinds of loads.

I looked it up again before I posted. The CX-9 having just about zero room with the seats up is a huge reason it isn't selling well...
How many SUVs with 3 rows do have any room in back? Very few. I was in a Tuscon today. Nothing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How many SUVs with 3 rows do have any room in back? Very few. I was in a Tuscon today. Nothing.

Idk, and don't care. They don't appeal to me. Hope my family is never large enough to need such. :)

Me either, but counting the Uber driver there were 6 of us in the car. My son was in the 3rd row by himself. He loved it. Lol. Like having his own private room on the car. LOL

Back