NHTSA Safety Ratings on 2017 Mazda CX-5

You're absolutely 100% correct. Safety, Fuel economy, Cargo space, Reliability, Resale, etc...this is the most important criteria for buyers in this segment. People like to talk about the CX5-s handling/suspension superiority, but that only appeals to enthusiasts. I just don't see that being a great marketing point to buyers in this segment who care about practicality first and foremost.

IMO they're in a difficult situation. They've pretty much given up on competing in practicality, which is why Honda/Toyota/Nissan beat them in most of these areas so now they're focusing on being a 'premum' car company but the question I ask is what exactly is 'premium'? The interior? Sure I'll give them that, but premium car companies also offer more modern powerful turbo charged engines, better transmissions, panoramic sunroof, cooled seats, CarPlay/AA etc... If they had offered this as some kind of 'Signature' edition pricing it somewhere below 40k I would think long and hard about it. The problem you run into with this strategy is price-wise you start getting into RDX/NX territory which are established premium brands. Why get a high priced Mazda when you get can a Lexus?

I'd buy a Genesis CUV, if they ever decided to make one. Mazda should take some hints from the Korean car companies (Hyundai and Kia). RIP Daewoo though.

Drove a SantaFe when I was trying out the 2013 CX-5. That drove like a boat, had 0 feedback on steering, and had about a +/- 5 degree or so dead spot on center. If they are going to Genisis(ise) it they better start from the ground up.
After testing CX-5, SantaFe, Q5, and RDX we ended up with the RDX.

Yrwei(Ray): Expose reporter extraordinaire!
Just noticed NHTSA has released 5-Star Safety Ratings for 2017 Mazda CX-5:

Overall Rating - 4 stars
Frontal Crash - 5 stars
Side Crash - 5 stars
Rollover - 4 stars

NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2017 MAZDA CX-5 SUV FWD
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2017 MAZDA CX-5 SUV AWD

Mazda has improved frontal crash rating on front passenger side from 3 stars on 2016 CX-5 to 5 stars. But the Side Crash Ratings on front passenger side and combined rear seat have downgraded from 5 stars on 2016 CX-5 to 4 stars. These should be the reason why the Overall Rating doesn't improve, and is still 4 stars like 2016 CX-5.

For comparison, 2017 Honda CR-V has all 5-star ratings in every category except Rollover. 2017 Toyota RAV4 has 5-star Overall Rating. Even the 2015 CX-5, like 2017 Honda CR-V, has all 5-star ratings in every category except Rollover!

Drove a SantaFe when I was trying out the 2013 CX-5. That drove like a boat, had 0 feedback on steering, and had about a +/- 5 degree or so dead spot on center. If they are going to Genisis(ise) it they better start from the ground up.
After testing CX-5, SantaFe, Q5, and RDX we ended up with the RDX.

I actually preferred the RDX, but the ole lady didn't want to spend $10k more, fuel cost for premium, and I actually wish it still had a Turbo 4 (like that V6 too, but I had hidden intentions. Lol). So, we put the extra money in our pocket, and I hope to secure some more land soon. Simply put, the Honda/Acura platform is just an overall better car and company than Mazda. Flame me all you want, guys...Just hoping the CX-5 suits us well, and I believe it will, but I won't hesitate to let it slide if it becomes trouble...

I actually preferred the RDX, but the ole lady didn't want to spend $10k more, fuel cost for premium, and I actually wish it still had a Turbo 4 (like that V6 too, but I had hidden intentions. Lol). So, we put the extra money in our pocket, and I hope to secure some more land soon. Simply put, the Honda/Acura platform is just an overall better car and company than Mazda. Flame me all you want, guys...Just hoping the CX-5 suits us well, and I believe it will, but I won't hesitate to let it slide if it becomes trouble...

RDX is probably my second choice to the QX70 at this point. But it's a distant 2nd for now.

RDX recommends premium but you can run regular btw. It's the exact same engine as the previous gen Accord (same engine code, same power, same torque at same rpm).
Yeah 10k is quite a bit. Is the RDX worth 30% more? In 2013 it was because the CX-5 was just not as refined. Now it's closer but I'm still not sure I would do a 10k jump. Maybe 5-6k for me would be a tipping point.

RDX recommends premium but you can run regular btw. It's the exact same engine as the previous gen Accord (same engine code, same power, same torque at same rpm).
Yeah 10k is quite a bit. Is the RDX worth 30% more? In 2013 it was because the CX-5 was just not as refined. Now it's closer but I'm still not sure I would do a 10k jump. Maybe 5-6k for me would be a tipping point.

Most modern engines can adjust for 87 octane. Even my 3000 GT VR4 was cool with it, but I mostly stuck with premium.

One big negative is the RDX is too similar to the GFs 2015 CRV.

Last edited:
Most modern engines can adjust for 87 octane. Even my 3000 GT VR4 was cool with it, but I mostly stuck with premium.

Whew, not my Evo. I never made that mistake, fortunately, even when she was stock. Seen it happen though. She's tuned for 93 + methanol injection.

Me either! Never have, never will. My family is quite the opposite. Dummies! I kid, I kid....

Way back when I was in high school, one buddy had a US union dad thru and thru. He wouldn't allow foreign cars to park in his driveway. Needless to say, anytime he had friends over the road was lined with foreign autos while the driveway was empty. Lol

Just noticed NHTSA has released 5-Star Safety Ratings for 2017 Mazda CX-5:

Overall Rating - 4 stars
Frontal Crash - 5 stars
Side Crash - 5 stars
Rollover - 4 stars

NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2017 MAZDA CX-5 SUV FWD
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2017 MAZDA CX-5 SUV AWD

Mazda has improved frontal crash rating on front passenger side from 3 stars on 2016 CX-5 to 5 stars. But the Side Crash Ratings on front passenger side and combined rear seat have downgraded from 5 stars on 2016 CX-5 to 4 stars. These should be the reason why the Overall Rating doesn't improve, and is still 4 stars like 2016 CX-5.

For comparison, 2017 Honda CR-V has all 5-star ratings in every category except Rollover. 2017 Toyota RAV4 has 5-star Overall Rating. Even the 2015 CX-5, like 2017 Honda CR-V, has all 5-star ratings in every category except Rollover!

I asked this question in another thread:

Has NHSTA changed their testing methods or their assessment ratings/measurements? This could be why last the rating was higher but this year it is not (uhm)

I asked this question in another thread:

Has NHSTA changed their testing methods or their assessment ratings/measurements? This could be why last the rating was higher but this year it is not (uhm)
No this's definitely not the case for Mazda CX-5 as NHTSA hasn't changed any testing method or assessment ratings in recent years. Besides, other competitors such as 2017 Honda CR-V and 2017 Toyota RAV4 haven't shown any ratings getting downgraded than last MYs.

Sometimes a brand new model may suffer some minor downgrades on safety ratings but the manufactures usually can quickly fix the flaws for next year based on NHTSA's crash results. For 2016 CX-5, the huge sudden downgrade from 5 to 3 stars on 2016 MY's passenger side frontal crash was a big surprise. The downgrades to 4 stars on front passenger side and combined rear seat from side crash for 2017 CX-5 this time is a big surprise to me too, as most "safer" vehicles have been getting all 5 stars in every category from NHTSA's side crash for years. Mazda should be well prepared getting the best crash ratings from NHTSA crash test as the testing procedures haven't been changed for many years!

Another safety rating from NHTSA for 2017 CX-5 surprises me a bit. With lower and wider design plus G-Vectoring Control, 2017 CX-5 still scored the same as 2016 CX-5 on Rollover Resistance percentage. And it has more tendency to roll over than a 2017 Honda CR-V! (uhm)

NHTSA Safety Rating Timelines:

NHTSA begins testing and rating vehicles for frontal impact protection using data from crash test dummies.

Provides consumer-friendly information to help consumers make informed safety choices when buying new vehicles. One star is the lowest rating and five stars the highest. More stars equal safer cars.

NHTSA begins testing and rating vehicles for side impact protection.

NHTSA begins testing vehicles for resistance to rollover crashes, which are more dangerous than other types of crashes.

Rollover tests are updated to better simulate real-world rollover crashes.

NHTSA launches Safercar.gov so consumers can search for 5-Star Safety Ratings and find other important highway safety information in one place.

Requires that window labels on new vehicles include 5-Star Safety Ratings information.

Enhanced 5-Star Safety Ratings take effect with 2011 model year vehicles, and include an overall vehicle score and a listing of advanced recommended safety technologies.

NHTSA updates the 5-Star Safety Ratings on new-vehicle window labels to include the overall vehicle score, making it easier for consumers to compare vehicles.

Adds backup cameras to the list of recommended technologies to help prevent backover incidents.

Adds automatic emergency braking systems to the list of recommended technologies to help prevent rear-end crashes or reduce the impact speed of those crashes.

No this's definitely not the case for Mazda CX-5 as NHTSA hasn't changed any testing method or assessment ratings in recent years. Besides, other competitors such as 2017 Honda CR-V and 2017 Toyota RAV4 haven't shown any ratings getting downgraded than last MYs.

Sometimes a brand new model may suffer some minor downgrades on safety ratings but the manufactures usually can quickly fix the flaws for next year based on NHTSA's crash results. For 2016 CX-5, the huge sudden downgrade from 5 to 3 stars on 2016 MY's passenger side frontal crash was a big surprise. The downgrades to 4 stars on front passenger side and combined rear seat from side crash for 2017 CX-5 this time is a big surprise to me too, as most "safer" vehicles have been getting all 5 stars in every category from NHTSA's side crash for years. Mazda should be well prepared getting the best crash ratings from NHTSA crash test as the testing procedures haven't been changed for many years!

Another safety rating from NHTSA for 2017 CX-5 surprises me a bit. With lower and wider design plus G-Vectoring Control, 2017 CX-5 still scored the same as 2016 CX-5 on Rollover Resistance percentage. And it has more tendency to roll over than a 2017 Honda CR-V! (uhm)

Because "feelings" aren't facts, and it doesn't matter how the 17 "feels". It's a worse handler than the crv or older cx5. My guess is that the softer suspension made it more likely to roll than slide.

Sounds to me like Mazda is unable to plan properly for the NHTSA tests, like other manufacturers, to get the best possible score. This is not the first time this happens to them.
Seems like rollover resistance percentage is really probability of rolling over in a single vehicle crash. The above percentages are all too similar to matter. No SUV/CUV to date was able to get 10 or less, to get 5 stars on rollover. On rollover risk alone, you'd better go with a lower center of gravity vehicle instead.
Re: G-Vectoring, I can't see how this would matter for this test, where a crash is already given. G-Vectoring would help you avoid a crash in the first place, will do practically nothing if a crash is taking place.

The CR-V is a very good vehicle and I am a tad disappointed from the 2017 CX-5 for not getting better fuel economy, for being heavier than the outgoing model and, now, only marginally better safety rating (or worse than the 2015).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back