Advice on Least visible trailer hitch? 2016 CX-9

namrag

:
2016 CX-9 GT
Hello everyone.

First time poster who has been lurking a few months. I own a 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring.

I need to install a trailer hitch for a bicycle rack that I already have. So at least initially I am not concerned with having an electrical hookup for the hitch, although I may want to add that later.

I want a hitch with a 2 inch opening, which I understand to be a class III or IV.

My biggest concern is in finding the least visible hitch. I have read multiple threads on here, and I have seen others specially mention the Curt trailer hitch and the Reese/Hidden hitch.

Can anyone give me recommendations on what hitch would be the least visible to sight?

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

I followed the link, and the "ask the expert" had a similar question, and luckily for a 2016 model to boot!

According to the expert the Draw-Tite 2 inch hitch will be 1/2 closer to the bumper, and along with that, 1/2 higher ground clearance.

Thanks again for the input. If anyone else has anything to add, please do. I like getting all the background information that I can before I jump in to a project / purchase.

I got the Curt 2" hitch because I was worried about the Draw-Tite being too high and interfering with the bumper trim. One of the reviewers of the Draw-Tite model on etrailer.com said it caused the bumper trim to bow a bit.

Now that I've got the Curt installed, I can see how the Draw-Tite might cause the very lower, forward edge of the bumper trim to bend upward a bit, but I don't think it would be a problem and wouldn't really be noticeable.

I got the Curt Class 3 Trailer Hitch (#13284). I am very satisfied with the result. It really does not affect the clearance (yes, I crawled under and measured, as that was one of my concerns).

Would someone be able to post a picture of the Curt hitch on their CX-9?

Thanks.

I'll try to do that when I get chance. BTW, the clearance from the ground to the bottom of the hitch is 11.5 inches, so well above ground clearance of vehicle.

Here are two picks of the Curt Class 3 Trailer Hitch (#13284) on my CX-9.

The forum image uploader is janking the aspect ratio and making it look squished, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• hitch1a.jpg
    hitch1a.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 432
  • hitch2a.jpg
    hitch2a.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
I ordered the Draw-Tite over the Curt. Mainly because it was $15-$20 cheaper. I didn't see much difference in visibility, so $15 is $15...

VERY easy installation. I installed it in my driveway, and it took me maybe 60 minutes (a good bit of that is due to several neighbors stopping by to see what I was up to).

Etrailer was great on price, shipping, tracking on shipping, accuracy on delivery date, and the video that walked through step-by-step installation.

Attachments

• IMG_6835.JPG
    IMG_6835.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 402
I just purchased and installed the draw tite max frame from etrailer.com. It looks good and was relatively easy to install. Etrailer's customer service was great.

VERY easy installation. I installed it in my driveway, and it took me maybe 60 minutes (a good bit of that is due to several neighbors stopping by to see what I was up to).

Hi, did you have to drop the exhaust and how did you support it? Wasn’t too hard to put the downward facing bolts through the frame holes?

There are youtube videos about how to disconnect the rubber exhaust hangers. Squirt some silicone lube or WD-40 into them, then push the rubber hanger off the steel piece. You can use anything you want to support the exhaust--a floor jack, a stack of lumber scraps, maybe paint cans, whatever fits the dimension.

The etrailer.com video shows how the included drawing-wires screw on to the bolts, get fished through the holes, then pull the bolts into the holes. It's easy...and easy to over-think it and make the job hard.

Back