2014 Touring electronics stay on after turning off engine

dnortuga

:
2014 Mazda CX-5
My apologies if this isn't the right section for this.

For awhile now my cx-5 will not always turn off the dash electronics after turning off the engine. The center console stays on, music continues to play, but the car itself is off. The trouble is this doesn't happen every time I drive but it will happen multiple times a week. Sometimes all I'll need to do is turn the car back on, reverse a couple feet, pull back in to the parking spot and it'll then turn off properly. However that also doesn't work every time either so I haven't been able to isolate the issue or situation that is causing this.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? It seems like there is a breakdown between the engine and electronics being disengaged simultaneously.

One thing I can think of is that: You must have the vehicle in PARK when you press the START/OFF button.

Otherwise, it will put the vehicle into the ON/ACC mode.

Is this a manual or automatic transmission?

Its an automatic

One thing I can think of is that: You must have the vehicle in PARK when you press the START/OFF button.

Otherwise, it will put the vehicle into the ON/ACC mode.

Sadly the car is in Park while I am trying to shut it off so that isn't the issue in this case.

Can't find the original Mazda notification on this issue, but here's another internet reference to the problem:https://mazda.oemdtc.com/665/igniti...hen-pressing-startstop-button-2013-2014-mazda

That seems very likely. I'll have to take a closer look there, thanks for all the help

I wish mine did that. On Fords the accessory power stays on after you shut off the vehicle until you open the door or the time limit for battery rundown protection is exceeded. It's nice because sometimes I forget to roll up my window or close the sunroof.

I wish mine did that. On Fords the accessory power stays on after you shut off the vehicle until you open the door or the time limit for battery rundown protection is exceeded. It's nice because sometimes I forget to roll up my window or close the sunroof.
Your CX-5 will do the same. Read your owner's Manual.

Your CX-5 will do the same. Read your owner's Manual.

Really? I've read the manual cover to cover twice and didn't see this mentioned. Can you give me the page number please?

Really? I've read the manual cover to cover twice and didn't see this mentioned. Can you give me the page number please?
It works the same way as the Ford system jthj described. Please don't make me get out the manual again LOL!

Last edited:
It works the same way as the Ford system you described. Please don't make me get out the manual again LOL!

I haven't described any Ford systems but I'm afraid that I'm gong to have to insist. Get that manual out and tell me what page this info is on, NOW!

Please? lol

Whoops sorry, it was jthj that brought up Ford. I have corrected it.

I will look and see what page is thee since ye asked nicely.

On page 111 of the PDF online manual page 3-33 for the 2016.5 I found this:

Engine-off power window operation
The power window can be operated for
about 40 seconds after the ignition is
switched from ON to off with all doors
closed. If any door is opened, the power
window will stop operating.
NOTE
For engine-off operation of the power window,
the switch must be held up firmly throughout
window closure because the auto-closing
function will be inoperable.

Last edited:

NOTE
This's only referring to the power window operation, but the OP was referring to keeping the power for all electronic devices including power windows、moonroof、and radio after you turned off the engine.

I'm sure the power windows in my 2016 CX-5 can't do this and I doubt 2016.5 has any changes. I remember 2017 CX-5 Owner's Manual does say the power will last for 40 seconds to let you close the windows like you quoted.

Nevertheless the 2017 CX-5 seems still different from the Ford system. Ford system sounded like the power would last longer than 40 seconds as long as you don't open the door. :)

NOTE

Thanks!

I guess now I'll have to dig my manual out and look for this. I really don't remember reading that but...

I'm almost positive that I've tried to close the windows in the CX-5 after shutting the car off, within the 40 seconds mentioned, and it didn't work. I'll try it again sometime soon. Not today though, it's too nice outside for the cage, I'll be riding my motorcycle today.
motorcyclenoises.gif

NOTE

Ok, now I'm understanding this a little better.

Shutting the CX-5 off whilst holding the shift lever button in does nothing for the windows, it only allows the infotainment system to stay powered.

I was wrong about the windows staying powered up, it's the 40 second delay that Mazdadude mentioned above that was at work. And this 40 second delay ONLY works for the driver's window in my CX-5. WTH?

Can someone confirm that this is the way it works in their CX-5? Shut your car off normally and then, within 40 seconds try to open/close any of your power windows, including the sunroof. Only the driver's window works for me.

On mine everything but the parking brake stops after you shut off the engine. I have a '17 though. I really wish it would stay on until you open your door for a few minutes though as my Ford does that and it's very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No-one?

Oh well.
I would want to try it but currently I'm out of country.

Base on my past experience the power window wouldn't work after the engine is shut off, but the owner's manual says otherwise like mazdadude mentioned. And your experience was only driver side power window works within 40-second window?

I thought 2017 CX-5 made some changes on this with 40-second window when I first read that paragraph in 2017's manual. But apparently this function has already been there for 2016 CX-5.

2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 3-33:
The power window can be operated for about 40 seconds after the ignition is switched from ON to off with all doors closed. If any door is opened, the power window will stop operating.
NOTE
For engine-off operation of the power window, the switch must be held up firmly throughout window closure because the auto-closing function will be inoperable.

2017 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 3-37:
 The power window can be operated for about 40 seconds after the ignition is switched from ON to ACC or off with all doors closed. If any door is opened, the power window will stop operating.
For engine-off operation of the power window, the switch must be held up firmly throughout window closure because the auto-closing function will be inoperable.

I would want to try it but currently I'm out of country.

Base on my past experience the power window wouldn't work after the engine is shut off, but the owner's manual says otherwise like mazdadude mentioned. And your experience was only driver side power window works within 40-second window?

I thought 2017 CX-5 made some changes on this with 40-second window when I first read that paragraph in 2017's manual. But apparently this function has already been there for 2016 CX-5.

2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 3-33:

2017 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 3-37:

Yes, that's right. On my CX-5 the driver's window is the only thing that stays powered during that 40 seconds.

Every once in a while, my '14 CX5 experiences what the OP experiences. Our gear selectors are the zigzag shift pattern.

I think the issue is that the gear selector does not fully return to the left side of the slot when shifted to P. It is easy to slide the lever up as high as it can go and assume the spring action of the lever will retract the lever all the way to the left. However, after some time, the spring action is not what it used to be and the lever will slowly slide to the left when pushed up to P and the start/stop button is pressed before the lever is fully seated to the left.

The lever needs to be fully seated to the left in the P slot before it recognizes that the shifter is in "park". If it is not, then the electronics will stay on when the start/stop button is pressed.

So when shifting to park, just make sure the lever is fully seated to the left before pressing the start/stop button.

Back