2014 Touring electronics stay on after turning off engine

Every once in a while, my '14 CX5 experiences what the OP experiences. Our gear selectors are the zigzag shift pattern.

I think the issue is that the gear selector does not fully return to the left side of the slot when shifted to P. It is easy to slide the lever up as high as it can go and assume the spring action of the lever will retract the lever all the way to the left. However, after some time, the spring action is not what it used to be and the lever will slowly slide to the left when pushed up to P and the start/stop button is pressed before the lever is fully seated to the left.

The lever needs to be fully seated to the left in the P slot before it recognizes that the shifter is in "park". If it is not, then the electronics will stay on when the start/stop button is pressed.

So when shifting to park, just make sure the lever is fully seated to the left before pressing the start/stop button.
Like OP, you probably have a worn switch unit. That's why there's a TSB and a revised switch unit has been introduced. The switch material has been changed to improve wear resistance:

Can't find the original Mazda notification on this issue, but here's another internet reference to the problem:
https://mazda.oemdtc.com/665/igniti...hen-pressing-startstop-button-2013-2014-mazda

Auxiliary power stays on after you push the off button. or stop/start ignition.

Had the exact same problem. It is the shift assembly. there is a little switch in there to tell the computer that it is in park. that has worn out. but they presently do not sell just the switch. they wanted to and did change the whole shift assembly with mine. this is becoming a common problem in the Mazda cx-5.
Anyway just sent the following message to a member who told me what it was and to try getting Mazda to pay for it.
:
Wanted to thank yrwei52 , I called Mazda Canada and spoke with them. I was as humble as possible. My 2014 Cx-5 has 198,500 kms.
They paid the entire cost. Big Thank you to Mazda Canada.
Maybe they know that there is a problem and pending recall.
Great forum here.

Back