So...the 2017 2.5 DID get some engine changes...

Alas, I still really want to know why it's higher for AWD. For now I'll just think it's due to the difference in final drive.

Alas, I still really want to know why it's higher for AWD. For now I'll just think it's due to the difference in final drive.

Here are the drive & torque figures for both year models for Australia:

001.png

002.png

Yup, definitely at 4k for AWD for both. I think what makes more sense to me is that it's slightly different ECU mapping between AWD and FWD. Which may be partly due to differences in gearing of the final drive. Or maybe to help compensate somewhat from the increased parasitic losses associated with AWD. I'm mainly interested b/c I wonder why torque output is at 3k or 3250 with AWD it might not be that much lower. I definitely think this motor has pretty decent low end torque for an NA motor. Much better than a Honda that you really have to wring out to get any power.

Yup, definitely at 4k for AWD for both. I think what makes more sense to me is that it's slightly different ECU mapping between AWD and FWD. Which may be partly due to differences in gearing of the final drive. Or maybe to help compensate somewhat from the increased parasitic losses associated with AWD. I'm mainly interested b/c I wonder why torque output is at 3k or 3250 with AWD it might not be that much lower. I definitely think this motor has pretty decent low end torque for an NA motor. Much better than a Honda that you really have to wring out to get any power.

Dunno. Maybe due to extra weight of AWD (scratch)

In reality having all that extra weight would be an incentive for torque to peak a bit earlier in the rev range

One of the main reasons I traded in my Subaru WRX
for a Mazda CX-5 was Dave Coleman's engineering talks ...

It made me realized Mazda makes cars for OCD people like me...
such as the driver focused driving position... so both my feet are symmetrical in the CX-5..

I remember how WRX had a Symmetrical AWD drive train system ... but the transmission
tunnel would make my driving position Asymmetrical which always bothered me ...

I have to disagree... A piston is not a piston, and diesels are not the same as gas engines.

I do not have a picture yet of the 2017 Piston design changes.

Here are some pictures to help...
2.0 OLD engine series (nonskyactiv) vs 2.0L SKYACTIV
P1030865-L.jpg

2.2 Diesel vs 2.2 SKYACTIV diesel

P1030875-L.jpg

IMG_4908.jpg

SKYACTIV-D-Mazda6-Mule-5.jpg

is the skyactiv piston and con. rod forged?

Back