US Diesel's big splash introduction

Yes. Or it's probably more accurate to say my wife does, since she drives it most days.

Good to hear. I cannot say one is better or worse since I’ve only driven the ‘17 I own. One thing is certain, it drives very well in slick conditions. I had to run to Lowe’s for some things. We had our pipes freeze overnight. 5” of snow and ice was no deterrent at all. I never felt any slippage.

Good to hear. I cannot say one is better or worse since I’ve only driven the ‘17 I own. One thing is certain, it drives very well in slick conditions. I had to run to Lowe’s for some things. We had our pipes freeze overnight. 5” of snow and ice was no deterrent at all. I never felt any slippage.

AW or snows?

ah, i was wondering if you had finally bitten the bullet after hearing about your insurance company and your other ride....

Yeah, we ended up shuffling vehicles a bit. First we donated my Focus ST because the exhaust needed replacing and I didn't want to throw any more money into it given there were ~155k miles and I couldn't fit a rear facing car seat in it. Then I finally had to stop driving the Outback because the insurance company pulled the plug. So we took a two-year lease on the CX-5 since I didn't think I'd be holding onto it long term (still hoping for a diesel someday or maybe a 6 with AWD). My wife absolutely loves it, but I missed having a car and was still pining for a nav with traffic or AA. Then I saw a new 2017 Ford Fusion Platinum AWD advertised for $28249 ($12k off MSRP) and I said what the hell, let that be my commuter car. I mostly drive the CX-5 on weekends.

Looks like Hyundai will soon be selling the diesel Santa Fe in Canada at least. I fully expect this model to be sold in the US as well as Canada uses EPA and CARB standards whether they admit it or not.

http://driving.ca/hyundai/santa-fe/...hyundai-to-sell-new-diesel-santa-fe-in-canada

Today there are 2.x L turbo diesel models available from Chevrolet, GMC, Jeep, Jaguar and BMW (I may have missed one or two). Ford has announce one model but I don't think it is shipping yet.

So very plain and very simple there are no technical issues that prevent car manufacturers from developing and making models available to the public. Now what about Mazda?

I know there are Mazda apologists here but the facts do not look good for the company. Apparently at one time they were confident that they had a model suitable for sale in North America. They sell thousands of these vehicles around the world to what appears to be very happy owners. Is then the problem the US EPA and CARB agencies that have put up barriers Mazda is unable to overcome? The car buying public has no way of knowing.

It is not up to the EPA or CARB to tell us what is going on with one of their clients (Mazda). They should never have announced a potential Mazda 6 diesel or CX-5 in the first place until it was ready to be marketed. But now that Mazda has leaked and even announced the CX-5 as being available for 2017 they have a duty to keep future car buyers truthfully informed. Why the problem with the certification or is the problem something else? All I want to know is the truth.

Looks like Hyundai will soon be selling the diesel Santa Fe in Canada at least. I fully expect this model to be sold in the US as well as Canada uses EPA and CARB standards whether they admit it or not.

http://driving.ca/hyundai/santa-fe/...hyundai-to-sell-new-diesel-santa-fe-in-canada

Today there are 2.x L turbo diesel models available from Chevrolet, GMC, Jeep, Jaguar and BMW (I may have missed one or two). Ford has announce one model but I don't think it is shipping yet.

So very plain and very simple there are no technical issues that prevent car manufacturers from developing and making models available to the public. Now what about Mazda?

I know there are Mazda apologists here but the facts do not look good for the company. Apparently at one time they were confident that they had a model suitable for sale in North America. They sell thousands of these vehicles around the world to what appears to be very happy owners. Is then the problem the US EPA and CARB agencies that have put up barriers Mazda is unable to overcome? The car buying public has no way of knowing.

It is not up to the EPA or CARB to tell us what is going on with one of their clients (Mazda). They should never have announced a potential Mazda 6 diesel or CX-5 in the first place until it was ready to be marketed. But now that Mazda has leaked and even announced the CX-5 as being available for 2017 they have a duty to keep future car buyers truthfully informed. Why the problem with the certification or is the problem something else? All I want to know is the truth.
It’s a bit melodramatic. It’s a car not a life.

I don’t think the company is in trouble because of the diesel chaos. This thread has gone round and round on the impact of having or not having the diesel. If 10% of US buyers want a diesel (and I think that percentage is high) then the impact is small.

Europe has had diesel for a while now but social clamor to ban or limit diesels is starting to take hold there. This VAG scandal really screwed the goose so to speak.

Mazda has a good future ahead. Their assembly plant in Alabama with Toyota’s alliance will produce the new CX-X and likely a hybrid platform as well. They do need to work on the rest of the lineup though. Their success is also worldwide so we cannot focus on the US and stop there. Mazda is the top brand in Australia. They are selling well in Europe.

This diesel story is just a small blip.

I don’t think the company is in trouble because of the diesel chaos. This thread has gone round and round on the impact of having or not having the diesel. If 10% of US buyers want a diesel (and I think that percentage is high) then the impact is small.

Europe has had diesel for a while now but social clamor to ban or limit diesels is starting to take hold there. This VAG scandal really screwed the goose so to speak.

Mazda has a good future ahead. Their assembly plant in Alabama with Toyota’s alliance will produce the new CX-X and likely a hybrid platform as well. They do need to work on the rest of the lineup though. Their success is also worldwide so we cannot focus on the US and stop there. Mazda is the top brand in Australia. They are selling well in Europe.

This diesel story is just a small blip.

Agreed. This is a big deal to the folks that want the diesel, but the majority of buyers don't seem to care about diesel, frankly.

Agreed. This is a big deal to the folks that want the diesel, but the majority of buyers don't seem to care about diesel, frankly.

Exactly. I know I would be upset if I were in the market for a diesel but at this stage I’m not sure who makes a diesel crossover that is in or close to the same class as the CX5.

I’m willing to bet that the Hyundai announcement will end up without any Diesel engines here in the USA as well.

^^That's just it there are very few choices, none of them intriguing..less tempting. Glk was an awesome motor but otherwise wasn't quite feeling it..bit spendy also. Still 369lb/ft in a small suv pulling low 30s was pretty seductive for me.

Last edited:
^^That's just it there are very few choices, none of them intriguing..less tempting

Yep and it’s sad. The diesel market has been shocked to the core. Over on the BITOG forums there is a current thread regarding the diesel market in Europe based on a article in Der Speigel. There are people calling for bans on diesels. It’s extreme talk but then again we live in a polarized society these days.

PS: edit to add link. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4674869/Diesel_Ban?_Germany#Post4674869

I'm one of the people who REALLY want it but I'm still having trouble understanding the people who seem to be taking it as a personal affront...lol. Like calm down.

Do I want one? Yes. Is there much else out there comparable that I find appealing for my needs? Nope. Do I have any clue what/why Mazda is having issues releasing it in a more timely manner (CARB?)? Nope.

If it get's confirmed in the next few months, I'll wait for it. If not, I'll be getting a used/unsold 2017 Mazda CX5 or 3 Sport GT or maybe a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen (TDI) etc.

Back