US Diesel's big splash introduction

Prior to the scandal, the VW TDIs had quite a following in this part of the country. And Mercedes diesels before them. So there definitely WAS demand for them. What's uncertain is how many of the current and former TDI owners are willing to go for another diesel after getting burned by VW.

I have been contributing a bit here for the last few months as a VW TDI owner. Most of us TDI owners who are also car guys do not feel "burned by VW". They designed and built a car that they thought the owners wanted (they did) but they cheated the EPA on emissions testing. Let me tell you how satisfied an owner I am.

My Golf is a 2011 and now has 110,000 miles (165,000 km). It is a 6 speed stick shift and I am on the original clutch and brakes. I am on my 2nd set of tires and have only spent $75 for a replacement coil spring in 6 years. Am I unhappy, hell no.

So would I buy a diesel again? Well that is what I am doing on this site. Besides me there are 100s of thousands of others who have not replaced theirs yet and some of them are waiting on Mazda like me. Why do I like diesels? Mainly because of the torque. The cars feel way more powerful than gas cars when starting from a stop, entering a freeway or passing a truck. Critics argue that you don't get that good fuel mileage driving in town and that is true. Instead of getting the 45 mpg I expect on the highway I get between 33 and 36 mpg around town. The thing is you just don't know until you drive one for a while.

Yes, I have been annoyed waiting for the release of the CX-5 and have been looking at other diesel models. We'll see who wins out.

There is 1 big assumption to this - the sales guy is willing to work with the consumer to go for 2 test drives! What would happen is this: after the initial launch - the diesel version will sit quietly in 1 corner. Folks coming for a new car will invariably test the gasoline. Now a savvy one might ask - okay let's try the diesel now. The sales guy has 1 intention and 1 intention only - how quickly can he close. Anyone has any guess what the sales guy will say at this point?

Alternatively, a 2nd. set of customers who want to try diesel comes in. They will test drive the diesel one and buy it. If I am in sales (and I was in sales) I'd realize quickly there's 2 sets - 1 determined to buy diesel and the 2nd. - might try diesel. My job for the 1st. set: close the deal and give 200+ merits of diesels. For the 2nd. set: dissuade and close the deal @ gasoline.

That's the exact moment when I would say hey asshole(paraphrasing here) not buying a car today, gathering data phase just throw me the keys so as not to waste your precious time doing nothing or Im off to next dlr who might be interested in my eventual commission. Actually on second thought go @#$% a goat! Dueces

Last edited by a moderator:
Try user Moonlighter :)

Ok yes ask me.

I tow a 1.2 to 1.4 tonne (around 3000lb) boat pretty regularly with my CX5 diesel, and did so with my previous one as well for the 3 years that I had it. Its a half cab style so as well as weight, it pushes thru a fair bit of air.

Its an excellent tow vehicle, never felt like the tail was wagging the dog.

Majority is local towing 10 minutes to local ramp, but I quite regularly tow 2.5 hrs up the highway to go fishing and then return. Couple of times a year we go north to 1770 which is about 7-7.5 hours drive up the highway and includes about 2 hrs on some pretty average very bouncy secondary roads.

Launched and retrieved out of some good ramps, and some very steep and slippery ramps, and the CX5’s have never been troubled.

My second boat is smaller weighs about 600kgs and is an open tinny. Hardly know it is behind the CX5.

What more do you want to know?

Yes Cx-5 is a great towcar, i tow a 1700kg caravan behind mine which it pulls effortlessly.

Ok yes ask me.

I tow a 1.2 to 1.4 tonne (around 3000lb) boat pretty regularly with my CX5 diesel, and did so with my previous one as well for the 3 years that I had it. Its a half cab style so as well as weight, it pushes thru a fair bit of air.

Majority is local towing 10 minutes to local ramp, but I quite regularly tow 2.5 hrs up the highway to go fishing and then return. Couple of times a year we go north to 1770 which is about 7-7.5 hours drive up the highway and includes about 2 hrs on some pretty average very bouncy secondary roads.

Launched and retrieved out of some good ramps, and some very steep and slippery ramps, and the CX5’s have never been troubled.

My second boat is smaller weighs about 600kgs and is an open tinny. Hardly know it is behind the CX5.

And for the life of me never figured out why they quote half the allowed tow weight in US in comparison to other countries for the same car.

And for the life of me never figured out why they quote half the allowed tow weight in US in comparison to other countries for the same car.

I am guessing speed limits. In US folks usually drive 80 mph and towing in CX5 - well you better be about 65 at max. That is the sole reason. I dont know about Australia since it too is a big country like US but maybe it has lesser speed limits.

If they try a 190ps diesel then they would be very impressed, i expect it to out performce the 2.5 NA car.

There is 1 big assumption to this - the sales guy is willing to work with the consumer to go for 2 test drives! What would happen is this: after the initial launch - the diesel version will sit quietly in 1 corner. Folks coming for a new car will invariably test the gasoline. Now a savvy one might ask - okay let's try the diesel now. The sales guy has 1 intention and 1 intention only - how quickly can he close. Anyone has any guess what the sales guy will say at this point?

Alternatively, a 2nd. set of customers who want to try diesel comes in. They will test drive the diesel one and buy it. If I am in sales (and I was in sales) I'd realize quickly there's 2 sets - 1 determined to buy diesel and the 2nd. - might try diesel. My job for the 1st. set: close the deal and give 200+ merits of diesels. For the 2nd. set: dissuade and close the deal @ gasoline.

In the UK the car must be capable of starting from a stop on a 12% gradient, that among otherthings determines the towing limit.
Speed limit is 60 mph on motorways, 50mph on smaller roads, but a lot ignore that, i don't because of the fuel consumption, and the fact that potential instability increases with speed.

Ok yes ask me.

Good to know. I would not have thought that the CX5 could handle that kind of weight on a regular basis.

I stand corrected and thanks for the education. [emoji1303]

I am guessing speed limits. In US folks usually drive 80 mph and towing in CX5 - well you better be about 65 at max. That is the sole reason. I dont know about Australia since it too is a big country like US but maybe it has lesser speed limits.

Our max speed limit is 110km/h (68mph) in most states except the Northern Territory where it's 130km/h (81mph)

Europe has higher speeds and yet the diesel is sold there and I presume owners do tow stuff, so speed limit can't be the reason I believe

I guess I’m old fashioned. I just do not consider this vehicle a towing vehicle just as I wouldn’t consider a sedan a towing vehicle. Sure it may be possible but throw in some circumstances like going over a mountain pass or inclement weather and the whole idea changes. I would also question the longevity of the CX5 as a regular towing vehicle.

I may be putting too much thought into this along with personal opinion. If we knew of a CX5 owner who say lived in Australia and regularly towed a small caravan or whatever they call those small trailers, it would be nice to hear how the engine and drivetrain held up. Especially since loads upwards of 3000 pounds are mentioned i suspect it will be easy to wag the dog very easily.

This doesn’t change my view that it’s a very fine vehicle for passengers and some occasional hauling in the back end.

No offense but I'd say brain washed (along with most people)...lol

Sedans and station wagons (that era's CUV) used to do most people's recreational towing the 50's, 60's and early 70's. I wonder why high-profit pickups have become 'necessary' for towing anything since then...?

Most non-compact vehicles these days would make very capable tow cars for small to mid size trailers, boats, utility trailers etc, etc. and in fact do in most other parts of the world.

Last edited:
There's got to be a reason why the long delay. Government regulation compliance, Mazda themselves (uhm)

Mazda North America needs to communicate better.

I could be wrong but Mazda Australia seems to communicate more generally.

Profits on large trucks by three large American companies for starters. The US tends to also be quite litigious (and have comparatively poor driver training, particularly for towing). There's the heavier tongue weights, speed limits etc as well.

Not that I care but some may (I assume no spec changes so still slow and lacking refinement imo)...

https://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-x3-diesel-on-its-way-to-u-s-and-another-that-ends-with-m/

Thanks for the post. Interesting article particularly "The EPA has stretched its typical certification process by months for new diesels, which have included on-road tests."

This may explain Mazda's delay but is no excuse for them not informing potential buyers of the situation.

No offense but I'd say brain washed (along with most people)...lol

Sedans and station wagons (that era's CUV) used to do most people's recreational towing the 50's, 60's and early 70's. I wonder why high-profit pickups have become 'necessary' for towing anything since then...?

Most non-compact vehicles these days would make very capable tow cars for small to mid size trailers, boats, utility trailers etc, etc. and in fact do in most other parts of the world.

I grew up in the 50s-60s-70s. Those sedans and station wagons had body on frame construction so it’s not easy to compare to today’s cars. You are correct that the station wagon was the family hauler back then. Before seat belts became mandatory it was normal to cram all the kids in the back seat leaving Dad and Mom up front to enjoy the ride. Station wagons died off and minivans took over but for those families who towed big trailers or went up in the mountains etc. , then a suv was used. Now we have the crossover which suits both types well. Actually I am seeing more interest in station wagons now but don’t call them that. Volvo XC , VW, have their own versions.

But I agree in most part what you said. I grew up riding in the back of a 4 door Chevy sedan.

I have been contributing a bit here for the last few months as a VW TDI owner. Most of us TDI owners who are also car guys do not feel "burned by VW". They designed and built a car that they thought the owners wanted (they did) but they cheated the EPA on emissions testing. Let me tell you how satisfied an owner I am.

My Golf is a 2011 and now has 110,000 miles (165,000 km). It is a 6 speed stick shift and I am on the original clutch and brakes. I am on my 2nd set of tires and have only spent $75 for a replacement coil spring in 6 years. Am I unhappy, hell no.

So would I buy a diesel again? Well that is what I am doing on this site. Besides me there are 100s of thousands of others who have not replaced theirs yet and some of them are waiting on Mazda like me. Why do I like diesels? Mainly because of the torque. The cars feel way more powerful than gas cars when starting from a stop, entering a freeway or passing a truck. Critics argue that you don't get that good fuel mileage driving in town and that is true. Instead of getting the 45 mpg I expect on the highway I get between 33 and 36 mpg around town. The thing is you just don't know until you drive one for a while.

Yes, I have been annoyed waiting for the release of the CX-5 and have been looking at other diesel models. We'll see who wins out.

Nearly identical situation for me. I love my '15 Golf TDI, and don't feel wronged by VW. Very interested in the CX-5 Diesel for all the same reasons, especially highway economy. I've been lurking on the forum for a while; thanks to all of you for your insights. Unfortunately it seems there's just an utter lack of news. If it makes you all feel better, the VW website still lacks information and configurators for the 2018 Golf/GTI/Alltrack even though, at least for GTI and Alltrack, order guides are out there and '18s are being SOLD. So, Mazda NA is not the only one with a communication problem. (shrug)

Thanks for the post. Interesting article particularly "The EPA has stretched its typical certification process by months for new diesels, which have included on-road tests."

This may explain Mazda's delay but is no excuse for them not informing potential buyers of the situation.

Sure and fully agree- that blurb was part of the reason I thought it could be interest- I was hoping to see new bmw diesel or a spec bump but not gonna pay their ransom anyway.

Back