US Diesel's big splash introduction

I'm very satisfied with this 6 speed auto. It changes up exactly as I would with a manual keeping those revs right down and with very few exceptions, it is pretty much flawless. The RAV4 auto I had before was quite crude by comparison and I was always willing to change up.

Same here with in my 6 but am looking forward to its combination with the throttle tweaks in the CX-5.

The one I drove about 3 months ago seemed sharper than the one I have in my 6

You'll get the new model?

Yes but the 2.5L not the diesel (for my kms, it doesn't make sense to get the diesel), as soon as I have sold my 6 - which is taking an inordinate amount of time to sell privately as not many are bought here in Australia.

Most people buy SUV's, not mid sized sedans :(

I am still up with the diesel details (not an expert mind you) as reviews here cover them etc

Last edited:
Yes but the 2.5L not the diesel (for my kms, it doesn't make sense to get the diesel), as soon as I have sold my 6 - which is taking an inordinate amount of time to sell privately as not many are bought here in Australia.

Most people buy SUV's, not mid sized sedans :(

I am still up with the diesel details as reviews here cover them etc
You know, given the choice, I would have gone with the 2.5 petrol because there is a growing anti diesel lobby here - all to do with particulate emissions. It will mean that diesels get outlawed starting with the older ones but they'll get to the new ones eventually. I'm not that bothered about the pulling power or consumption either despite it being fun at times. I may swap this for a hybrid if they bring that 2.5 powertrain over from Toyota. We'll see.

You know, given the choice, I would have gone with the 2.5 petrol because there is a growing anti diesel lobby here - all to do with particulate emissions. It will mean that diesels get outlawed starting with the older ones but they'll get to the new ones eventually. I'm not that bothered about the pulling power or consumption either despite it being fun at times.

I was happy with the pulling power of the 2.5L in the CX-5 even though it's 195kg heavier than my 6. There was 2 of us in it when I took it for a test drive and considering most of the time this will be the amount of people in it, I am fine. Fuel consumption will be a bit worse in the CX-5 compared to my 6 but it will still be far less than my previous car which had a 262bhp V6

I may swap this for a hybrid if they bring that 2.5 powertrain over from Toyota. We'll see.

So long as Toyota just sticks to hybrid technology and leaves the driving dynamics, design, interior - everything else to Mazda! (wink)

I'm very satisfied with this 6 speed auto. It changes up exactly as I would with a manual keeping those revs right down and with very few exceptions, it is pretty much flawless. The RAV4 auto I had before was quite crude by comparison and I was always willing to change up.

Agreed. Cx5 Trans is programmed very well.

Strange as I find the auto fails to go down the box sufficiently on steep hills especially, so I regularly use manual mode to obtain engine braking.

But it is a relatively cheap car, I would expect a prestige car to anticipate gradients and down shift as required, CX-5 doesn't for me.

Strange as I find the auto fails to go down the box sufficiently on steep hills especially, so I regularly use manual mode to obtain engine braking.

But it is a relatively cheap car, I would expect a prestige car to anticipate gradients and down shift as required, CX-5 doesn't for me.

It's a CUV, not meant to tow down steep grades, and not a race-car. The manual mode is just fine in this application at any price point. Engine braking is sufficient with cruise-control that I don't have an issue even in the mountains with very steep grades. Wraps it up to 4-5k no problem on its own to slow it down.

It's a CUV, not meant to tow down steep grades, and not a race-car. The manual mode is just fine in this application at any price point. Engine braking is sufficient with cruise-control that I don't have an issue even in the mountains with very steep grades. Wraps it up to 4-5k no problem on its own to slow it down.

I have never seen 4K down any hill in auto. In fact in auto down hill with the foot of the accelerator I don't recall ever seeing 3K.
And whats racing or towing got to do with how the auto deals with a down hill gradient?

It sounds too good to be true but they've improved that on the new model. They really have paid attention to detail.

Another first today. The trip meter was showing 36.1 but when I did the tank to tank calls, it came out at 38.2. I guess the reason is that it's had "spirited" driving on a couple of trips to work last week and the trip meter is still anticipating more of the same.

Here's one for you US guys if you aren't used to diesels, you may not know that if you run out of diesel it won't start again until the air has been bled out of the system. To help prevent this, the CX-5 will go into limp mode when it detects the fuel is about to run out.

I think you should rename yourself PDFman. (burp)

Here's one for you US guys if you aren't used to diesels, you may not know that if you run out of diesel it won't start again until the air has been bled out of the system. To help prevent this, the CX-5 will go into limp mode when it detects the fuel is about to run out.

Any idea how far it can limp in that state and/or how to purge air if you do run out.

Any idea how far it can limp in that state and/or how to purge air if you do run out.

Well the fun starts at about 6 litres which is about one and a half US gallons and it is detailed in what way it will play up in the above pdf. Now if it does run out (the first part of the following procedure assumes it didnt and therefor it can just be started by cranking or clanking as the text shows!!!). If it does manage to run out or you admit air into the fuel system as you would for instance when you change the fuel filter, you have to start with a vacuum pump on that little pipe connection on the HP pump. Ive highlighted it here;

You_Doodle_Pro_2017-09-03_T19_03_22_Z.jpg

....and the pdf is here;

Thanks Anchorman. Apparently an SST is a hand pressure pump set - the bulb thing.

Remember the box needs to "learn" your driving habits. If one is gentle all the time and suddenly requires more immediacy, then the box might not respond how you want it to

I've been driving diesels ever since I learned how to drive. I only made the mistake once re presuming the "reserve" capacity om the road and I don't want to make the same mistake again. [emoji3]
I always replenish the tank to full when it reaches a little bit over 1/4 but on out of town trips where fuel stations are farther apart, a fill up the tank whenever it reaches 1/2 just to be sure. Though the farthest I've driven non stop is 650 kilometers.

Latest posts

Back