US Diesel's big splash introduction

I've been reading your comments on diesels and I conclude most of you haven't driven one regularly for tens of 000s of miles.

For regular driving and long distance, it's just easier to drive when the usable power sits within a 1000 rpm window. I drove a regular petrol engined car the other day and I had to use almost the entire rev range for normal driving. So inelegant compared to a diesel.

Also, if you can't afford big engined cars - most of the uk is driving around in a 2 ltr or less - the torquey diesel gives you the impression you're driving a more powerful car than you are.

Lmao! Where did you come up with New Jersey?! Even my location says "Dirty South". Lol and I'll bet whatever that SC has the lowest, and my county is the lowest in the State. $1.79 I paid this morning...

Woodcliff Lake NJ is BMW NA's hq but cheapest gas in nation (Jersey not even so cheap anymore I paid 2.31 driving through last week) and dirty south should've led 7 elsewhere..admittedly I was incorrectly thinking 'Bama so we all failed I guess! OK is typically cheapest I believe as was mentioned but @1.79 can't be by much..jelly. 2.45 for reg about the best I can do now w/cc without going out of my typical way.

Last edited:
Diesel is $0.10 to $0.20 CDN per liter cheaper here in greater Vancouver than regular gas.

I want one.

Woodcliff Lake NJ is BMW NA's hq but cheapest gas in nation (Jersey not even so cheap anymore I paid 2.31 driving through last week) and dirty south should've led 7 elsewhere..admittedly I was incorrectly thinking 'Bama so we all failed I guess! OK is typically cheapest I believe as was mentioned but @1.79 can't be by much..jelly. 2.45 for reg about the best I can do now w/cc without going out of my typical way.

The Only BMW plant that produces cars is in Greer, SC, about 15 min from my house. So is the Performance Driving School. I couldn't careless is I'm not a fan of BMW and these parts are flooded with them. South Carolina is the cheapest state, followed by Oklahoma, but my county always wins for the cheapest. Side note : it's $1.85 this afternoon. Fluctuation by the hour is crazy, and uncalled for...

Average Regular Gas Price by State

South Carolina2.031
Oklahoma 2.083
Alabama 2.087
Mississippi 2.092
Arkansas 2.112

Its espensive in Tesas I tell u. I thought the amount of oil we pee from the ground - should be cheaper. Best price I saw was few months ago in Arlington for 1.68 but that could be local city / county which makes it cheap.
Today got a warning from Gas Buddy prices will go up by few cents - 7 to 13 cents.

What is laughable about a cx-5 diesel you ask?

Well, for starters, they're really late to the party. Secondly, I live in a state with the cheapest gas in the entire nation, always has been, always will be, and no one wants to pay a premium for diesel and a new concept engine. Third, it has nothing to do with not being a luxury brand (BMW North America is based in my home town), it has all to do with no one buys diesels here unless they're pulling horse trailers or large boats (I pulled my racing trailer with one at one time, so don't try to say I'm a diesel hater). Fourth, they'd be better off concentrating on a newer tech like hybrid or electric, but I have to admit, those don't do anything for me either.

I guess time will tell. I couldn't careless if it falls on its face or not, but I say it will. Buy one and let us know how it goes...

You in Greenville, South Carolina? Diesel is pretty cheap up there.

It's laughable because Mazda has no diesel history in this country, and bringing a diesel motor in now after VW-Gate just seems like a stupid move. Mercedes-Benz just announced they are pulling out completely from the states, but yet Mazda somehow think it can be a success? How many people do you know that have been clamoring for Mazda to release a diesel? Sure it offers more torque and better MPG, but it's still a 'diesel'. And not only that but it will command a premium. No one is going to pay an extra 2k just to squeek out some extra gas mileage when gas is already cheap. Besides if you did want better MPG, you can just get a hybrid from every other company...

I would only get a diesel car/SUV if gas was expensive and was towing a lot of stuff, and even then I would only buy one from a company with a history of diesel vehicles in this country.

Stupid or ballsy? Diesel still has a healthy following here and sure it remains to be seen if some of that following will migrate to Mazda with their relatively short sky-d and no dealer support track record but if they sweeten the pot and give buyers some added reassurance (like an unlimited mileage warranty) I sure as hell don't want a hybrid I want this! I drive 25k miles per year a lot of which is highway or windy back roads nearer my house so a great handling, great mileage and range diesel does make sense and may be worth the premium it will command- for me. Mercedes left because they're crapping their pants..wonder why if they've nothing to hide? Shame GLK diesel was pretty cool, great motor just couldn't justify cost.

You really think the average buyer cares about torque increase? Couple that with the whole diesel stigma after VWGate, and if one is concerned with MPG, most people will opt for a Hybrid not diesels. It's a poor strategy IMO to release a diesel engine in these times...

My biggest complaint after my test drive of the 2017 was how high I had to rev the engine to get any low speed acceleration. That diesel torque should tame that quite a bit.

You really think the average buyer cares about torque increase? Couple that with the whole diesel stigma after VWGate, and if one is concerned with MPG, most people will opt for a Hybrid not diesels. It's a poor strategy IMO to release a diesel engine in these times...

On top of that you have another refill requirement: Diesel Emissions Fluid (basically Urea and deionized water) to prevent NOX emissions. Not as frequent a refill as fuel (it's consumed at approx a 1:50 ratio with diesel fuel), but another thing to think about and buy. Plus diesel's noticeably more expensive than gasoline.

DEF is $4/gallon at auto parts stores, so that's maybe a 3% addition to fuel cost in consumable fluids.

Here, near Portland, OR, diesel costs about the same as 87 octane gas, usually a bit less.

You in Greenville, South Carolina? Diesel is pretty cheap up there.

Yes sir, sure am. Great little city. Growing too fast for me though and it's ruining it IMO. Looking for a job that will allow me to bounce...

Diesel is $2.05-2.15 a gallon here currently. Pretty cheap...

Going back to something the OP mentioned. How would the unlimited mileage warranty work? And what does it cover? I think Lexus has this for their vehicles but I also don't know how it works or what is covered.

DEF is $4/gallon at auto parts stores, so that's maybe a 3% addition to fuel cost in consumable fluids.

Here, near Portland, OR, diesel costs about the same as 87 octane gas, usually a bit less.

To someone that already has/had and is accustomed to diesels, no biggie, but to the average consumer who hasn't, it's asking them to do more and it may seem like a hassle (not saying it is). People like to do less these days, simple life...

Going back to something the OP mentioned. How would the unlimited mileage warranty work? And what does it cover? I think Lexus has this for their vehicles but I also don't know how it works or what is covered.

Great question. Love to see the fine print. Guarantee there's more ways for them to get out of coverage than to help with it...

It's laughable because Mazda has no diesel history in this country, and bringing a diesel motor in now after VW-Gate just seems like a stupid move. Mercedes-Benz just announced they are pulling out completely from the states, but yet Mazda somehow think it can be a success? How many people do you know that have been clamoring for Mazda to release a diesel? Sure it offers more torque and better MPG, but it's still a 'diesel'. And not only that but it will command a premium. No one is going to pay an extra 2k just to squeek out some extra gas mileage when gas is already cheap. Besides if you did want better MPG, you can just get a hybrid from every other company...

A CX-5 diesel is likely to get better highway MPG than the RAV4 hybrid and come very close to the RAV4 in city MPG. It will likely cost the same as the RAV4 hybrid. It will have real AWD rather than the RAV4's electric only rear wheels. It will be lighter, handle better, look nicer, and it will be less complex. It will probably be easier to maintain over the long run with less to go wrong compared to the Toyota's hybrid FW and electric RW drivetrains. But most of all, it will have some BALLS.

My (possibly ignorant) assumption just from what I glanced at w/Canada's is that its exactly the same time duration of B2B, powertrain and rust coverage so 3/5/7 if I'm not mistaken with the exact same coverages as the current just with no mileage limitation. For someone who burns through B2B in ~1.5yrs and powertrain in less than 3 via high mileage, this would be a pretty nice perk, and something they can and should do! Help the brand image, help sales, help me take that small leap to the diesel.

Last edited:
My (possibly ignorant) assumption just from what I glanced at w/Canada's is that its exactly the same time duration of B2B, powertrain and rust coverage so 3/5/7 if I'm not mistaken with the exact same coverages as the current just with no mileage limitation. For someone who burns through B2B in ~1.5yrs and powertrain in less than 3 via high mileage, this would be a pretty nice perk, and something they can and should do! Help the brand image, help sales, help me take that small leap to the diesel.
Okay, that makes sense. It would certainly be a perk for people who are apprehensive about owning a Mazda with a diesel engine in North America.

A CX-5 diesel is likely to get better highway MPG than the RAV4 hybrid and come very close to the RAV4 in city MPG. It will likely cost the same as the RAV4 hybrid. It will have real AWD rather than the RAV4's electric only rear wheels. It will be lighter, handle better, look nicer, and it will be less complex. It will probably be easier to maintain over the long run with less to go wrong compared to the Toyota's hybrid FW and electric RW drivetrains. But most of all, it will have some BALLS.

An argument can be made for fuel economy with regards to Diesel vs Hybrid, but in the end it is still a 'Diesel'. The vast majority of potential buyers who want good fuel economy will likely get something like a CRV(best in class MPG) or a Hybrid from one of the other competitors. Why buy a diesel? I can't see many people clamoring for a diesel when there are plenty of alternatives out there. That and the fact that Mazda has no diesel history here, and that it's competitors are undoubtedly working on future RAV4/Forester/Tucson/Escapes which will offer even better fuel economy then they do now. It just seems like a dumb move. They would be better served using the 2.5T in the CX-9.

Back