US Diesel's big splash introduction

I thought Mazda was looking into reviving their rotary for EV/Hybrid use.

They are. Rotary as a range extender. If they can implement it correctly and patent its usage that way......could be bank for Mazda. that's why they needed Toyota's alliance to get access to hybrid tech.

The 2019 CX-5 feature list for the USA has leaked and there is no mention of the Diesel. Time to put a fork in it...

They are. Rotary as a range extender. If they can implement it correctly and patent its usage that way......could be bank for Mazda. that's why they needed Toyota's alliance to get access to hybrid tech.

Ah ok. Thanks for that.

Would be interested to see how they can fix the problems with rotaries then in that scenario.

Ah ok. Thanks for that.

Would be interested to see how they can fix the problems with rotaries then in that scenario.

My understanding is that in that application...the rotary is much more reliable. Unfortunately I do not know the technical details to support that statement.

Good to see some car manufacturers are still using rulers when designing their vehicles....

From what I understand, Mazda will use Toyotas hybrid platform but Toyota has shown great interest in the rotary battery extender setup. The space and weight savings is substantial.

I could see a scenario where a Mazda 3 or cx3 could have the electric platform with battery extender. Toyota could apply it to their small car as well thus boosting their fleet fuel economy stats.

Still a few years away.

Meanwhile outside of Europe, the current diesel gets a manual gearbox as an option (Europe has this for years already)

From what I understand, Mazda will use Toyota*s hybrid platform but Toyota has shown great interest in the rotary battery extender setup. The space and weight savings is substantial.

I could see a scenario where a Mazda 3 or cx3 could have the electric platform with battery extender. Toyota could apply it to their small car as well thus boosting their fleet fuel economy stats.

I hope Mazda patents that application..........actually I think they already did if I recall correctly.

IMO the problem for Mazda is even if the CX-5 SkyActiv-X 2.0L with a 6-speed tranny is available in 2020 MY, the specs would be still lagging behind this 2019 RAV4 Hybrid both on power and fuel efficiency. And there's nothing else we can see in the future from Mazda which can over-take the performance AND fuel economy from this 2019 RAV4 Hybrid.

2.0L SA-X hybrid?

If it does make it to the US I wonder if it will be as short lived as the diesel 626 they offered here in mid '84-'85 IIRC

link to CX-5 diesel hybrid article? (yes, I'm being lazy and not google'ing)

Rotary range extender in a hybrid system is definitely on Mazda's roadmap as the efficiency of a single rotor (whether it's a 10A or 13B) would be amazing. I think as others have mentioned, partnered with Toyota's hybrid system would be a great way for Mazda to get into the hybrid game since CAFE regulations require them to and developing a system from scratch would exhaust Mazda's entiere R&D budget.

if 2019 docs are out and there's no mention of a Diesel, I will admit that this things is dead afterall.
sad but it's the reality.
EPA figures were probably the final nail in the coffin.
No need to release it with SkyActiv X on the horizon, SkyActiv Diesel 2.0 in development, AND a diesel hybrid.

It has been mentioned that the rotary engine Mazda has developed for the battery extender is very small, the size of a shoe box. Combined with the generator the whole setup is very efficient space and weight wise.

Ive read about this but no, I have no link. Sorry.

I don't think the US will ever see a full diesel engine in another Mazda again. As part of a hybrid system, maybe.
as the sole power source? Nope, that ship sailed and sunk.

Even though we've had the diesel engine here for years, it's always been a small proportion of sales. Vast majority sold here have been 2.0 or 2.5 petrol (gasoline) versions.

Back