US Diesel's big splash introduction

You could just wait for it to be officially announced and some driving reviews before making a final decision (scratch)

I just think it would need to be an epic engine to make it worthwhile in the US market. Consider that:

1. MPG is no better

2. Diesel fuel usually costs more than low grade gas (at least where Ive lived)

3. Few CX-5 buyers tow

4. Mazda is a sporty brand and diesel doesnt have a sporty reputation (even if modern engines are better)

5. Diesel still has a bad reputation from the German car scandals (whether warranted or not)

6. Diesel engines usually dont sound great

So what in the world is the Mazda salesperson going to say to convince me to even test drive the thing?? If Mazda doesnt have a headline answer to that question, they shouldnt bother in the US. I just cant imagine much demand.

I just think it would need to be an epic engine to make it worthwhile in the US market. Consider that:

1. MPG is no better

2. Diesel fuel usually costs more than low grade gas (at least where I*ve lived)

3. Few CX-5 buyers tow

4. Mazda is a sporty brand and diesel doesn*t have a sporty reputation (even if modern engines are better)

5. Diesel still has a bad reputation from the German car scandals (whether warranted or not)

6. Diesel engines usually don*t sound great

So what in the world is the Mazda salesperson going to say to convince me to even test drive the thing?? If Mazda doesn*t have a headline answer to that question, they shouldn*t bother in the US. I just can*t imagine much demand.

And they get cranky in the cold. They smell.

I wanted to buy one because I thought I was going to get 300+ lb/ft of torque (which I might still get) and 40-45 MPG on the highway (not!). I take lots of long distance trips and thought this would be perfect.

1. MPG is no better

2. Diesel fuel usually costs more than low grade gas (at least where I*ve lived)

3. Few CX-5 buyers tow

4. Mazda is a sporty brand and diesel doesn*t have a sporty reputation (even if modern engines are better)

So what in the world is the Mazda salesperson going to say to convince me to even test drive the thing?? If Mazda doesn*t have a headline answer to that question, they shouldn*t bother in the US. I just can*t imagine much demand.

Someone gets it...

Several other things can be added, but great points as to why I said years ago this thing was/is a waste of time and money Stateside...

Someone gets it...

Several other things can be added, but great points as to why I said years ago this thing was/is a waste of time and money Stateside...

Yeah, but you did not predict it would get the same mileage as the petrol version! That changes everything. The whole point of a diesel is better gas mileage. Without that, there is no point. In the rest of the world, it gets better mileage. Why in the USA is it so bad?

As a teacher, I would say you still get an F. Just because you might be right, if you don't know why you are fight, you fail!:D

Yeah, but you did not predict it would get the same mileage as the petrol version! That changes everything. The whole point of a diesel is better gas mileage. Without that, there is no point. In the rest of the world, it gets better mileage. Why in the USA is it so bad?

As a teacher, I would say you still get an F. Just because you might be right, if you don't know why you are fight, you fail!:D

You wanna talk fail, I said it would FAIL no matter the gas mileage it got, even if it gets 40mpg, it will still fail. What they need to do is wise up and PASS on bringing it here...

1. MPG is no better

3. Few CX-5 buyers tow

Obviously Mazda for what ever reason believes there will be demand there.

For it to have made a bigger impact, should have been released long ago

There's a lot of speculation about the diesel engine CX-5. So I thought I'd throw something out that's as good as most of the speculation. I know this to be true about another car in particular. The Corvette - I know several folks who work at the plant where it's built in Kentucky. (I watched my Corvette screwed together over two days a few years ago.) So I'm wondering if Mazda could be doing something similar to how Chevrolet does their marketing.

What if the diesel CX-5 does get better fuel mileage? Significantly better. Enough better to make it worth your while to pay a premium. Plus a lot more torque. Say that's true. But Mazda knows it's still going to be several months or more before they can start selling them. If you want to continue selling the current version of the CX-5 you wouldn't want to really talk up the new and improved version that will be coming. People who were on the verge of buying now might wait for the diesel. But if customers thought it wouldn't matter they would go ahead and buy the current version. Then in a year when the new and improved version hits the streets there would be some people who would want to swap. Mazda would have sold two vehicles instead of just one.

Chevrolet does the same thing with the Corvette - I've seen it through two generations. They start out with the base model. Since it's a whole new vehicle they will sell at a premium and people will snap them up. Chevrolet will deny a new and improved version for a bit then release (in a year or so) a bigger and better version. The folks who bought the initial base car, a large number will trade up. Chevy has sold two new units instead of one. They introduced the Stingray for 2014. For 2015 they came out with the new Z06. Many upgraded. Then in 2016 they introduced the Grand Sport - the folks who couldn't afford the Z06 in '15 were then tempted to get the less expensive GS (but more expensive than a base Coupe). They sold more units to people who had already bought a new Vette a couple years earlier. NOW! They have just introduced the ZR-1 that's above the Z06. They are again selling bigger and better versions of the car - they have probably now sold THREE new cars to people in just a few years where they might have only sold ONE if all the variations had been introduced at the same time. Very smart!

Could Mazda be doing something similar with the diesel? Why would they introduce a whole new version if it wasn't better? People aren't going to move laterally. Hmmm.... It's a whole lot different group of people who buy a CX-5 than a Corvette but the angle is the same - sell as many new units as possible.

Just my speculations... Ha Ha

Just for the record, it*s actually been a great little car, zero problems so far besides some personal things I notice in build quality, and the little ole gal loves it (that*s important I guess), but I haven*t liked the recent approach they*ve taken, and I surely don*t like their longterm goals they*ve put on the table to achieve. Lil gal doesn*t understand the engineering like I do, but she too doesn*t like the looks of the current ones, and that*s enough on her part to say never again. However, she will literally drive it to the wheels fall off (10-15 years), and I*m not gonna try to stop her, lol, so as long as it last, we*re good. I*ll do my part to ensure that it can at least. We shall see how she holds up...

Understood.

To each their own :)

Definitely, and no telling what will be out there 10-15 years from now. :)

And who am I to kid, lol, 2 years from now when that warranty runs out, and she goes outta town on business for at least a week, she*ll come home to a 16.5 2.5T, haha, somebody get one, total it, walk out unscathed of course, and I*ll buy the power plant out of it...that would be totally cool and tempting, but the doghouse sleeps kinda hot...

1. MPG is no better

3. Few CX-5 buyers tow

I get the impression that MPG and performance is important to most members on this forum, the diesel delivers in both those areas. I wouldn't be remotely interested in a NA petrol.

Even my son has traded in his Mazda3 120ps for a 1.4T 150ps seat leon.

You wanna talk fail, I said it would FAIL no matter the gas mileage it got, even if it gets 40mpg, it will still fail. What they need to do is wise up and PASS on bringing it here...

But honestly, it will fail as they are now selling a car that is basically the same car as the petrol but requires more expensive fuel. Now that is stupid. I think if they sold the version that did 30/45 they would sell much more. My belief.

But honestly, it will fail as they are now selling a car that is basically the same car as the petrol but requires more expensive fuel. Now that is stupid. I think if they sold the version that did 30/45 they would sell much more. My belief.

But bro! You can pull ur horse trailer to the rodeo, now, in your compact SUV! #GonnaSellSoMany!!!!

I get the impression that MPG and performance is important to most members on this forum, the diesel delivers in both those areas. I wouldn't be remotely interested in a NA petrol.

Why do you assume itll deliver better MPG and performance when the only real info we have is that MPG is no better?

The argument against diesel is that if Mazda cant make the diesel a clear winner over petrol in those areas, then they should kill the idea.

Mazda 3 has to be the most poorly thought out Mazda in the entire lineup including all cars we never get CX4 and CX8. Its lightweight but the 2.5 seems better in my CX5 the way its tuned. MPG is barely better or same than a Mazda6 (which is bad with the 2.5). Rear seat is practically useless unless you are small. Its sad that even Europeans with their twisties are not liking the 3. It has the worst quality interior now that CX3 trumps it as well. I really wanted to like it - but my CX5 is more rev happy and eager to drop the hammer than the 3 I drove.
Of all Mazda's I would say Gen 1 CX5 with 2.5 has the best setup wrt to driving and low end torque.

Back