US Diesel's big splash introduction

It was a good deal that would carry equal negative equity, not add more, and would give me a 0 mile vehicle without increasing note. Downside would be starting over on paying it off. Good deal really, but my cx5 is reliable so far, so I soldier on with it.

But if you think gen2 is so much worse driving, why even consider it, regardless of the deal?

EVERY comment about the braking was negative-- it's a real issue. Do you think anyone bought their CX-5 for its acceleration?

If we don't want to buy used, we gotta buy what's current.

You're right, it IS an appliance. And a damn nice one.

^Fair points if performance numbers mattered so much to uno why would he consider such a sacrifice?
Back when i picked up my early 2.5 gen1 it certainly wasn't because of its blistering acceleration BUT it also wasn't not because of it either..unlike say the Crosstrek that was/is painfully if not dangerously slow...just like prior to the 2.5 addition the cx5 was a nonstarter for me..and even then it took a few drives to see the light.

Last edited:
Not so fast. The reason is the electronic nannies have been tightened up, and cannot be turned off. That's why it feels good to drive but can't perform at the limit like the previous models.

The main thing that bothers me is the extra 10 feet stopping distance. That's pretty noteworthy. Like I said, in a tire test that might be that difference between the lowest and top performer. Pretty big deal.

Speaking of tires, is it using the same tires as the previous model?

All cx5s are slow as hell and handle for crap as far as I'm concerned. It's this board that initially made such a huge deal of the 0-60, handling, etc. So muchso that I was told by multiple members that sound deadening would ruin what the cx5was about...and now look at you all "half a second slower to 60 and worse braking isn't important!"

Eh ok, let's break this one down a bit.

CX-5 is slow and handles for crap compared to...your old sports car? No s***. Now compare it to the other CUV's on the market. Let's do apples to apples here. And I am not talking about features like Crapple Carplay. Just simply how it drives. For a CUV, it drives like a dream.

To your second point, let's be honest, a lot of the folks saying that the "half second slower and worse braking aren't important" in these past couple of pages are not the same ones you speak of saying the opposite before.

^Fair points if performance numbers mattered so much to uno why would he consider such a sacrifice?
Back when i picked up my early 2.5 gen1 it certainly wasn't because of its blistering acceleration BUT it also wasn't not because of it either..unlike say the Crosstrek that was/is painfully if not dangerously slow.

I did it because of multiple reasons. #1, I got killer trade allowance on my Jeep. They paid me retail private party for it, and sold me the cx5 for same.
#2, the cx5 was the most fuel efficient awd vehicle I could find with good reliability from consumer reports at that dealership, and they were who were wanting my Jeep so bad...#3, in 2015, the cx5 was the best performing cuv that ran on 87 octane as far as I know.

It lowered my D/I so that include easily obtain financing for a house. I was able to get a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty on it, and it was new enough, that it won't ambush me in a bad way my first year or two of home ownership.

Yes, it's boring. Yes, it's slow as hell and handles like a pig. Yes I miss my 370z and z06. But I need awd now. Something I didn't know when I bought it, but I prepared for that possibility by getting an SUV with awd. It paid off as that's what I need to get home.

Many factors. This car is a glass of water to me, not a vintage wine. That best sums it up. Boring and necessary.

Eh ok, let's break this one down a bit.

CX-5 is slow and handles for crap compared to...your old sports car? No s***. Now compare it to the other CUV's on the market. Let's do apples to apples here. And I am not talking about features like Crapple Carplay. Just simply how it drives. For a CUV, it drives like a dream.

To your second point, let's be honest, a lot of the folks saying that the "half second slower and worse braking aren't important" in these past couple of pages are not the same ones you speak of saying the opposite before.

Yes, it is the best performing cuv that runs on 87 octane, or was at least in 2015 when I bought. The handling is impressive for a cuv, as it's close to the Macan, just a ton less power.

I did it because of multiple reasons...

I think he was asking why you would consider the 18. That's what I wondered, too. It seems you don't really hate CX-5s as much as you sometimes lead us to believe. In fact, I think you just implied it's the best little CUV. Cause it is.

If you were driving a 370z and a vette, no wonder you think it's slow and handles like crap! Like CD sez, apples to apples. Most of us can't afford fun, "exotic" cars. For everyday transportation, you can't beat the CX-5.

Remember, "utility" is its middle name.

I think he was asking why you would consider the 18. That's what I wondered, too. It seems you don't really hate CX-5s as much as you sometimes lead us to believe. In fact, I think you just implied it's the best little CUV. Cause it is.

If you were driving a 370z and a vette, no wonder you think it's slow and handles like crap! Like CD sez, apples to apples. Most of us can't afford fun, "exotic" cars. For everyday transportation, you can't beat the CX-5.

Remember, "utility" is its middle name.

It's a great cuv. My irritation about it came from this forum .when i joined, people were so hard over its 0-60, etc. And i said "its a damn cuv..." and then the whole deal about "if mazda added sound deadening it would ruin it" when i suggested that. "Its a drivers cuv, thats who mazda is after! Drivers!" Now that tbeyve done exactly what i suggested, everyone is in love with the changes. Its a bunch of damn fanboyism from many.

This said, my cx5 has done 100% of what i thought it would, and I'm quite pleased with it for what it is.

Last edited:
and then the whole deal about "if kazda added sound deadening it would ruin it" when i suggested that. "Its a drivers cuv, thats who mazda is after! Drivers!" Now that tbeyve done exactly what i suggested, everyone is in love with the changes.

I'm not. Take a look at join dates ;)

It's a great cuv. My irritation about it came from this forum .when i joined, people were so hard over its 0-60, etc. And i said "its a damn cuv..." and then the whole deal about "if mazda added sound deadening it would ruin it" when i suggested that. "Its a drivers cuv, thats who mazda is after! Drivers!" Now that tbeyve done exactly what i suggested, everyone is in love with the changes. Its a bunch of damn fanboyism from many.

This said, my cx5 has done 100% of what i thought it would, and I'm quite pleased with it for what it is.

(2thumbs)

I'm not. Take a look at join dates ;)

Well, I respect your purity of purpose and stance, lol. Now I've gotten on board with "...but mine is a racecar compared to yours" just to irk the 17'ers the way I was irked over so many telling me they'd never create what amounted to the '17.

Well, I respect your purity of purpose and stance, lol. Now I've gotten on board with "...but mine is a racecar compared to yours" just to irk the 17'ers the way I was irked over so many telling me they'd never create what amounted to the '17.

But it wasn't the 17ers who were bitching, so you're irking up the wrong tree.

Glad to know the backstory anyway. Mystery solved.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think mines a racecar. But as a one vehicle household at the moment, the CX-5 was the only "practical" vehicle I drove that still felt fun to drive.

I razz Gen2 because it's uglier than Gen1, but that's just my opinion of course. ;) And yeah, the numbers are worse. Frankly I sat in a Gen2 and it didn't connect with me the way the Gen1 does. I don't know how to say it, but I straight up enjoy my no frills Gen1. Just wasn't feeling it with Gen2. I don't want an "upscale CX-5", damn kids get off my lawn. Back in my day...yada yada.

Of course I grew up with Jeeps, so may contribute to my lack of caring for bulls*** like Carplay/AA, or safety nannies, and NAV systems. Enjoy the damn drive. (rofl)

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I don't think mines a racecar. But as a one vehicle household at the moment, the CX-5 was the only "practical" vehicle I drove that still felt fun to drive.

I razz Gen2 because it's uglier than Gen1, but that's just my opinion of course. ;) And yeah, the numbers are worse. Frankly I sat in a Gen2 and it didn't connect with me the way the Gen1 does. I don't know how to say it, but I straight up enjoy my no frills Gen1. Just wasn't feeling it with Gen2. I don't want an "upscale CX-5", damn kids get off my lawn. Back in my day...yada yada.

My main gripe is the s*** infotainment system. It takes 15 minutes to upload phone data...disconnect...reconnect...upload data...cannot connect to pandora...disconnect....upload data...reconnect....maybe...just MAYBE play some damn music. It's trash. Never seen such ghetto crap since I was a high school student with a CD player and tape adapter in my car.

I'll never again own a vehicle without XM/Sirius.

Of course I grew up with Jeeps, so may contribute to my lack of caring for bulls*** like Carplay/AA, or safety nannies, and NAV systems. (rofl)

You dont like the gen 2 because youve grown comfortable with your current one. I feel exactly the same way about my 6.

You don’t like the gen 2 because you’ve grown comfortable with your current one. I feel exactly the same way about my 6.

It's the small things, started before Gen2 frankly.

I like my gated shifter, I like no big amount of chrome on the front, and no damn chrome under the windows. I like having a real handbrake. And most importantly, Gen2 lacks the Kodo swoop.

Last edited:
My main gripe is the s*** infotainment system. It takes 15 minutes to upload phone data...disconnect...reconnect...upload data...cannot connect to pandora...disconnect....upload data...reconnect....maybe...just MAYBE play some damn music. It's trash. Never seen such ghetto crap since I was a high school student with a CD player and tape adapter in my car.

I'll never again own a vehicle without XM/Sirius.

What year are you again, 2015? Mine works pretty simply and easily...

Don't have to upload a damn thing. You just pair and it streams. May just be your area?

Can't speak to XM/Sirius. My radio repertoire is the FM comedy station or my USB stick plugged into the CX-5 with all my music, or bluetooth streaming from phone, or the occasional Pandora. Honestly, has worked flawlessly for me. One exception is my USB stick not organizing by folders, but I believe there is a TSB.

Last edited:
What year are you again, 2015? Mine works pretty simply and easily...

Don't have to upload a damn thing. You just pair and it streams. May just be your area?

Can't speak to XM/Sirius.

I dunno wtf it is. I have a touring 2015, and had galaxy s4, and now a galaxy s8. Both were/are the same. Pairing takes 5 to 15 minutes. It's bulls*** and trash. You have to select pairing multiple times, it tries and fails half a dozen times, then finally gets it's but Pandora doesn't connect, so the car boots the pairing, and you start selecting pairing again. It puts me in a damn rage just typing about it. Maybe because mine uploads phone contacts and stuff and yours doesn't? Maybe I should turn that feature off and use it just for music and not hands free phone.

Back