US Diesel's big splash introduction

Due to the VW Dieselgate and due to the initial Mazda diesel issues from a few years ago (failed US release), there probably will not be a 2018 CX5 diesel.

Most car mags say that US vehicle diesels are dead. Sadly, Mazda got behind the ball and with everything that happened, they are going to see diesel CX-5's and Mazda6's, fail in the USA.
I think the strict emission requirements and the minimum bio fuel % addition to the fuel that is making diesel not competitive in US.

Yes, I do think bio and states like MN that are mandating 20% bio at least in summer was an issue cited by MB(bs..maybe)- not sure if this poses an issue for Sky-d but wouldn't be surprised.

Yes, I do think bio and states like MN that are mandating 20% bio at least in summer was an issue cited by MB(bs..maybe)- not sure if this poses an issue for Sky-d but wouldn't be surprised.
It is just my presumption. However for me it makes sense. Normally using the euro fuel standards matching the engine compatibility is enough in some countries. But we also have to consider that USA is also protecting the economy of the bio fuel plantation.

There's Chevy/GMC, Ford, RAM, BMW, Jaguar Land Rover all who have new gotten diesel vehicles approved recently, and Jeep, Hyundai, and Kia who are working to bring new diesels to market this year. The exit of VW and Merc has shrunk the market, but it's not dead yet.

And yet we're posting in a 98-page long anticipation thread.

How long were rx9 anticipation threads?

Amazing how everyone but Mazda is able to give Americans a diesel...

FWIW, The Truth about cars found official filings with CARB and the EPA back in November.. a month before that- Autoline ( an editorial car magazine ) had an episode on youtube featuring Robert Davis , Mazdas North America Senior VP who claimed they DO HAVE a planned launch date for it but for the risk of being wrong on that date ( presumably because of testing) he declined to reveal one.

https://youtu.be/rQ0uQRbkmfI

Last edited:
It is just my presumption. However for me it makes sense. Normally using the euro fuel standards matching the engine compatibility is enough in some countries. But we also have to consider that USA is also protecting the economy of the bio fuel plantation.

We are shamelessly wasting arable land, draining aquifers, using fertilizer and pesticides to produce an unnecessary product. The stupid part about it is that states are pushing biofuel blends because they reduce diesel vehicle GHG emissions slightly, but the small reduction in GHG emissions at the tailpipe is more than offset by the GHG emissions from producing the fuel. Running biodiesel also produces more NOx than petroleum diesel. It does produce less particulate matter, but otherwise using biodiesel is a net negative from an environmental point of view.

I asked Mazda USA for an update- but went more the way of if we'll get it vs when..via the website- I'll post their response.

We are shamelessly wasting arable land, draining aquifers, using fertilizer and pesticides to produce an unnecessary product. The stupid part about it is that states are pushing biofuel blends because they reduce diesel vehicle GHG emissions slightly, but the small reduction in GHG emissions at the tailpipe is more than offset by the GHG emissions from producing the fuel. Running biodiesel also produces more NOx than petroleum diesel. It does produce less particulate matter, but otherwise using biodiesel is a net negative from an environmental point of view.
I rest my case.

First review of xc40 from Volvo. Amazing luxury and safety features std. If you can live with X1 size try the Volvo. 32300 starting and 35300 for AWD base. Really nice interior. EPA is close to mazda with 185hp and 210 lbft for 2 lt turbo. EPA on a turbo is rigged unless you drive very conservative. I am stunned and it seems like this will steal CX-5 sales as well.

Couldn't meet targets without affecting performance, so was abandoned.

Maybe the CX-5 is now suffering same issues
the reason the old diesel was abandoned was because Mazda was adamant it wanted 'Mazda performance' without the use of the pisser tank (urea). They looked to VW as an example of someone who had achieved their performance and efficiency goals without it and wanted the same for their cars.
Remember, this was still in the ZOOM-ZOOM era so performance was Mazda's major selling point and they couldn't put out a car that didn't meet that standard.

Well, as we all know VW cheated their way to those results so it makes sense how Mazda wasn't able to do it cleanly. This is why the current Mazda has the urea tank and has made it further in the EPA/CARB certification process. Now lets just hope we actually get to see this stateside.

We are shamelessly wasting arable land, draining aquifers, using fertilizer and pesticides to produce an unnecessary product. The stupid part about it is that ...

Certifiably stupid in every way. Worse than useless.

using biodiesel is a net negative from an environmental point of view.
Yup, just like ev's do when you look at them from start to finish, as opposed to just measuring the short sighted goal of reducing emissions when they are moving down the street.

the reason the old diesel was abandoned was because Mazda was adamant it wanted 'Mazda performance' without the use of the pisser tank (urea). They looked to VW as an example of someone who had achieved their performance and efficiency goals without it and wanted the same for their cars.
Remember, this was still in the ZOOM-ZOOM era so performance was Mazda's major selling point and they couldn't put out a car that didn't meet that standard.

Well, as we all know VW cheated their way to those results so it makes sense how Mazda wasn't able to do it cleanly. This is why the current Mazda has the urea tank and has made it further in the EPA/CARB certification process. Now lets just hope we actually get to see this stateside.

Here in Oz land we get performance and fuel economy. More than likely due to not having as strict emission/fuel regulations thank goodness.

Due to your regulations.

The rest of the world can get it. Maybe the regulations there need to be changed (relaxed).

You might not think that if you had ever visited almost any US city in the 60s, and compared the air quality now to then. The regulations are what have caused the improvement, but it still needs more improvement. People die from dirty air.

Perhaps there's less pollution in Oz due to the lower population, number of cars, etc.

First review of xc40 from Volvo. Amazing luxury and safety features std. If you can live with X1 size try the Volvo. 32300 starting and 35300 for AWD base. Really nice interior. EPA is close to mazda with 185hp and 210 lbft for 2 lt turbo. EPA on a turbo is rigged unless you drive very conservative. I am stunned and it seems like this will steal CX-5 sales as well.

Interesting, it has a heads up display and Android Auto. I'll have to check it out if the diesel doesn't come.

Its a lot smaller than a cx-5 though.

You might not think that if you had ever visited almost any US city in the 60s, and compared the air quality now to then. The regulations are what have caused the improvement, but it still needs more improvement. People die from dirty air.

Perhaps there's less pollution in Oz due to the lower population, number of cars, etc.

I've visited California and New York and other places.

Europe is densely populated yet they have the Mazda diesel.

I've visited California and New York and other places.

Europe is densely populated yet they have the Mazda diesel.

But did you visit them before air quality regulations began? My point is that the regulations have improved the air, which most people would agree is a worthwhile goal. Perhaps you disagree.

Back