US Diesel's big splash introduction

I was a VW diesel owner and just couldn’t wait. I bought the ‘17 in November. The more I read about the unwelcome diesel stance in Europe, the happier I am to own the petrol version.
I’m really enjoying the CX until it’s time to fuel up which is often compared to the TDI (30 city, 42 - 52 highway).
I’m thinking there may be a Skyactive X in my future! Now... that would be great.
Circa 2020 onwards

I was a VW diesel owner and just couldn’t wait. I bought the ‘17 in November. The more I read about the unwelcome diesel stance in Europe, the happier I am to own the petrol version.
I’m really enjoying the CX until it’s time to fuel up which is often compared to the TDI (30 city, 42 - 52 highway).
I’m thinking there may be a Skyactive X in my future! Now... that would be great.

I don't know if they changed it for the 2017 and up models, but one minor flaw with the CX-5 is the relatively small gas tank, compared to the Mazda6. The Mazda6 if I'm not mistaken, has a 600+ mile driving range. I wish they would do that for the CX-5. As it is now, you are still getting good fuel mileage with the CX-5, relative to other CUVs, you just fill up often.

I don't know if they changed it for the 2017 and up models, but one minor flaw with the CX-5 is the relatively small gas tank, compared to the Mazda6. The Mazda6 if I'm not mistaken, has a 600+ mile driving range. I wish they would do that for the CX-5. As it is now, you are still getting good fuel mileage with the CX-5, relative to other CUVs, you just fill up often.

Range is all relative - depends on one's foot pressure on the accelerator pedal along with actual driving conditions

Range is all relative - depends on one's foot pressure on the accelerator pedal along with actual driving conditions

No I'm not just talking about the driving range value on the dashboard. The Mazda6 gas tank (16.4 gallons) is really bigger than the one in the CX-5 (14.8 gallons). Of course the fact that the Mazda6 gets stellar fuel mileage, makes that driving range advantage seem even bigger. Basically, you will fill up more often with the CX-5 than the 6.

No I'm not just talking about the driving range value on the dashboard. The Mazda6 gas tank (16.4 gallons) is really bigger than the one in the CX-5 (14.8 gallons). Of course the fact that the Mazda6 gets stellar fuel mileage, makes that driving range advantage seem even bigger. Basically, you will fill up more often with the CX-5 than the 6.

hmm, sounds like they shrunk the 6's tank. the tank in our 2005 6 was around 18 gallons. but probably about equivalent in total range with the current model due to the improved fuel efficiency.

Range is quite the opposite imo.. its absolute. Now one's perception on if its poor, acceptable or great is relative I suppose.

Last edited:
I am at a Mazda dealer and they are mentioning 2019 for the CX-5 diesel. The Mazda 6 2.5T will be here this spring.

The Mazda 6 is 61-294kg (135lb to 648lb) lighter than the CX-5. So even if they had the same tank size, the 6 would still be more efficient.

Range is quite the opposite imo.. its absolute. Now one's perception on if its poor, acceptable or great is relative I suppose.

If it was absolute then there would be no variations. Every one all the time would achieve what the manufacturers says one is supposed to get.

At any rate, so long as I get close to the official fuel consumption figures particularly city and combined (just like I did the majority of the time with my departed 6) I will be happy.

Last edited:
The Mazda 6 is 61-294kg (135lb to 648lb) lighter than the CX-5. So even if they had the same tank size, the 6 would still be more efficient.

Yes the 6 is definitely more efficient because it is lighter and is more aero. What I'm trying to say is, if the CX-5 had a bigger gas tank than what it currently has, the amount time/days between fill ups will increase. As it is right now, we are filling up our CX-5 almost as often as I do my Speed3.

Yes the 6 is definitely more efficient because it is lighter and is more aero. What I'm trying to say is, if the CX-5 had a bigger gas tank than what it currently has, the amount time/days between fill ups will increase. As it is right now, we are filling up our CX-5 almost as often as I do my Speed3.

Fair enough :)

If it was absolute then there would be no variations. Every one all the time would achieve what the manufacturers says one is supposed to get.

At any rate, so long as I get close to the official fuel consumption figures particularly city and combined (just like I did the majority of the time with my departed 6) I will be happy.

No, if range was static there would be no variations..and obviously there are a lot of variables that will impact it- I guess I just didn't agree with your use of relative but I get what you're saying. For me I'd love a vehicle with a 600 mile range potential:) Hence my initial post like 8 months ago, seems it'll be another 8 at best until anything comes to fruitition:(

Last edited:
No, if range was static there would be no variations..and obviously there are a lot of variables that will impact it. For me I'd love a vehicle with a 600 mile range potential:)

OK

Then diesel is the way for you to go be it when Mazda releases it or some other brand.

I think its Mazda's or bust for me..its gotta be AWD and not a small fortune to purchase or own, and not a VW..oh nevermind, irrelevant:)

When is your new ride arriving?

Nice ride that 9er but it doesn't help me in terms of up front or fuel costs..want the wife to seriously consider for her next..
My CX-5 replacement will almost certainly be a CX-5 the question is what fuel pump am I pulling up to and if its still gas does it use a lot less 'relative' to the current one- I'd be cool w/that! (not referencing cylinder deactivation obviously!!)

Last edited:
Back