US Diesel's big splash introduction

Over here diesels sell in small amounts for the CX-5. Used 2017 diesels have a $2000- $4000 premium over the petrol version

C&D article about new Kia Sorrento Diesel mentions the strengthened US EPA standards.

But Mazdas refusal to save face is only backfiring.
Wonder how many people outside this forum are looking to buy the diesel. Maybe not that many hence Mazda North American being secretive (uhm)

I really wonder myself what percentage of CX5 buyers would prefer the diesel? 1 in 10? 1 in 20? Just my opinion but in the US, the percentage would be very small, ie <5%. Diesels have more popularity in pickup trucks because of towing and hauling.

I’m not trying to throw cold water on this discussion but am looking at this with a States perspective. I know diesels are accepted more in Europe and other places.

Wonder how many people outside this forum are looking to buy the diesel. Maybe not that many hence Mazda North American being secretive (uhm)

I will NEVER buy diesel. I have zero towing needs ; I have zero problems with current start up time and effort required from a STOP sign, I see zero value add in acceleration specifications vs what's currently published for gasoline CX-5, I have no problems with range as even if I drive long distance it'll North east segment, max Florida or north: Canada border with US --> all of which have dime a dozen gas stations.

I'll end up paying more for diesel (diesel is costly), I'll have tough time selling the car due to subdued demand for diesels, by nature diesels are known to have higher maint. costs and people know it and EPA is EPA -> God forbid what they change and when. Finally, public perception of diesel after WW is still raw.

I think most Americans don't know the benefit of the diesel. Will be interested in what percentage prefer the diesel after driving both.

From the above comments, I think my suspicions are confirmed - probably not too many. Hence Mazda NA isn't saying as much as they should.

Mazda Australia communicates far more when needed.

As I have also mentioned before, diesel is available here but due to my driving requirements, the extra costs savings is doesn't make it beneficial unless I keep it for a long time.

I think most Americans don't know the benefit of the diesel. Will be interested in what percentage prefer the diesel after driving both.

I have driven 4 years exclusively in diesel thru some of the most congested/horrible roads in India/Nepal climbing some of the toughest mountain roads. Then I drove for 2 years mostly "God Only knows what" cars in Siberia and finally settled in US driving gasoline cars. In between throw in LP gas cars for a major stretch. Nope - I do know the benefits diesel gives but after settling down here in US - with family and driving mostly on long, clean roads: will settle for gasoline any day.

If one has a need for towing, the CX5 is not a good choice, diesel or not. Yea you can haul a small utility trailer but I wouldn’t go beyond that. A full size suv or pickup would serve that duty better.

If one has a need for towing, the CX5 is not a good choice, diesel or not. Yea you can haul a small utility trailer but I wouldn’t go beyond that. A full size suv or pickup would serve that duty better.

Depends on what one is towing. Over here both petrol and diesel are rated for 1800kg (3968lbs) braked towing (750 [1653lbs] unbraked)

some new senior management at Mazda NA... only time will tell if anything (communication) changes. At least he's got "cool" hair!

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/mazda-north-american-operations-promotes-jim-lievois-executive-vice-president/

Unfortunately the same management/manger, just more senior now (in title and, uh, experience). The press release sounds overly contrived. Still, if its a recognition that they need to make changes and are empowering him to do so, great.

Depends on what one is towing. Over here both petrol and diesel are rated for 1800kg (3968lbs) braked towing (750 [1653lbs] unbraked)

I guess I’m old fashioned. I just do not consider this vehicle a towing vehicle just as I wouldn’t consider a sedan a towing vehicle. Sure it may be possible but throw in some circumstances like going over a mountain pass or inclement weather and the whole idea changes. I would also question the longevity of the CX5 as a regular towing vehicle.

I may be putting too much thought into this along with personal opinion. If we knew of a CX5 owner who say lived in Australia and regularly towed a small caravan or whatever they call those small trailers, it would be nice to hear how the engine and drivetrain held up. Especially since loads upwards of 3000 pounds are mentioned i suspect it will be easy to wag the dog very easily.

This doesn’t change my view that it’s a very fine vehicle for passengers and some occasional hauling in the back end.

I guess I’m old fashioned. I just do not consider this vehicle a towing vehicle just as I wouldn’t consider a sedan a towing vehicle. Sure it may be possible but throw in some circumstances like going over a mountain pass or inclement weather and the whole idea changes. I would also question the longevity of the CX5 as a regular towing vehicle.

I may be putting too much thought into this along with personal opinion. If we knew of a CX5 owner who say lived in Australia and regularly towed a small caravan or whatever they call those small trailers, it would be nice to hear how the engine and drivetrain held up. Especially since loads upwards of 3000 pounds are mentioned i suspect it will be easy to wag the dog very easily.

This doesn’t change my view that it’s a very fine vehicle for passengers and some occasional hauling in the back end.

Try user Moonlighter :)

Among the people who would test drive both, I think the diesel would win a lot of people over. The problem will be in getting people to try test driving the diesel.

Prior to the scandal, the VW TDIs had quite a following in this part of the country. And Mercedes diesels before them. So there definitely WAS demand for them. What's uncertain is how many of the current and former TDI owners are willing to go for another diesel after getting burned by VW.

Among the people who would test drive both, I think the diesel would win a lot of people over. The problem will be in getting people to try test driving the diesel.

Prior to the scandal, the VW TDIs had quite a following in this part of the country. And Mercedes diesels before them. So there definitely WAS demand for them. What's uncertain is how many of the current and former TDI owners are willing to go for another diesel after getting burned by VW.

Diesel sales have dipped because of this scandal in most countries I believe. So fewer people may consider getting a diesel and even few still a Mazda diesel considering overall sales/customer base/awareness is not that large in the first place

Because of that, I've sometimes wondered whether Mazda was really committed to bringing the diesel here, or whether the announcement last year was just a way to gauge interest.

There is 1 big assumption to this - the sales guy is willing to work with the consumer to go for 2 test drives! What would happen is this: after the initial launch - the diesel version will sit quietly in 1 corner. Folks coming for a new car will invariably test the gasoline. Now a savvy one might ask - okay let's try the diesel now. The sales guy has 1 intention and 1 intention only - how quickly can he close. Anyone has any guess what the sales guy will say at this point?

Alternatively, a 2nd. set of customers who want to try diesel comes in. They will test drive the diesel one and buy it. If I am in sales (and I was in sales) I'd realize quickly there's 2 sets - 1 determined to buy diesel and the 2nd. - might try diesel. My job for the 1st. set: close the deal and give 200+ merits of diesels. For the 2nd. set: dissuade and close the deal @ gasoline.

Back