US Diesel's big splash introduction

I found this article on why Mercedes is pulling deisel's from North America. Very interesting.
Maybe Mazda is holding back for the same reason: Fuel quality.

http://driving.ca/mercedes-benz/auto-news/news/mercedes-says-goodbye-to-diesel-in-north-america

Well, that is interesting. Also, I noticed this:

"Continuous use of B20 fuel can lead to fuel filter clogging and injector deposits, and can cause the engine oil level to rise due to unburned fuel washing into the oil pan."

Could the engine oil rise people have observed be from B20 fuel?

Last edited:
I agree, at least tell us SOMETHING.
if it's still on the way, great.
if it's not, not great news but at least we know we can move on and start buying other cars.

You really think it's a good idea to tell customers it's still on the way? What if another roadblock comes up that prevents them from releasing it? Then people would REALLY be pissed off. Seeing as how they haven't cancelled it, I'm assuming they're still trying to release it. If they decided to cancel it, they would have said so.

Did they say so when they canceled the diesel 6? How long did they string folks on? The statement I got from Mazda when I inquired was very similar to what they were saying when the 6 was "delayed".

Let me get this clear. So other than the fuel standard (which is Euro 6 currently in US), the US government requires 20% (B20) mixture of ethanol?

Could the engine oil rise people have observed be from B20 fuel?

No, that was down to the post injection method of regeneration. Its fixed on the 2017 model anyway.

You really think it's a good idea to tell customers it's still on the way?

No need for the high horse, I really think it would have been professional for them to make a statement. They promised a diesel before the end of 2017. Who said they must say its still on the way? All it needs to satisfy potential customers is a progress report - is it still in progress, is it causing problems or is it a dead duck?

Let me get this clear. So other than the fuel standard (which is Euro 6 currently in US)

Euro VI is the emission standard for Europe, nothing to do with a fuel standard.

I don't understand why Mazda are treating the US in this manner, they come across to me as incompetent.

I found this article on why Mercedes is pulling diesel's from North America. Very interesting.
Maybe Mazda is holding back for the same reason: Fuel quality.

http://driving.ca/mercedes-benz/auto-news/news/mercedes-says-goodbye-to-diesel-in-north-america

That article seems like a red herring to me.

Good old petroleum based diesel #2 (no biofuel content) is widely available in most states, because we still have older trucks, school buses, construction vehicles, etc. that were not designed to run on biodiesel blends. A lot of states have incentives to promote biodiesel, which has made B5 commonplace. I have heard that in Illinois, B5 is the norm and it's hard to find diesel #2 anymore. That is not true where I live, but may be true in some other places. There are a few mandates at the state level. I believe Washington mandated B2, and Oregon mandated B5. Massachusetts did as well, but then backed off before it went into effect. One notable exception is Minnesota, which currently mandates B10, and the requirement is going up to B20 this year. Minnesota's law has been fought in federal court, but it currently stands. Mercedes stopped selling diesels in Minnesota years ago because of this mandate. That's the only place I know of where a diesel buyer would have a problem finding fuel that meets their warranty requirements.

At the federal level, the EPA mandates an overall volume of biomass diesel. Europe also has biodiesel mandates, and so does Canada and Australia, and lots of other places where Mercedes sells diesels. You can find a slideshow summary here:

http://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2018/01/01/biofuels-mandates-around-the-world-2018/2/

Even if they are going to give up on small diesels for passenger vehicles, Mercedes will still have to deal with biodiesel if they want to continue making larger diesels for trucks and equipment. There is a push on for more biodiesel use across fleets everywhere. I read that NYC is current on B10 for everything it operates, and trying to get its ferry fleet to use B20. California is trying to get all of its state purchased transportation fuel to be 10% renewable over the next few years, and so on.

Let me get this clear. So other than the fuel standard (which is Euro 6 currently in US), the US government requires 20% (B20) mixture of ethanol?

No.

I'm actively in the hunt for alternatives, more for the diesel torque driving dynamics rather than mileage benefit:

2019 Infiniti QX50 variable compression engine promising better torque (Announced. March?).

2019 Kia Sorento 2.0 turbo diesel (Announced. Spring?)

2019 Acura RDX Sport Hybrid, with implementation of the Sport Hybrid system from the 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid, and their NSX. (An unlikely product. But would be top of my list to drive; having driven and enjoyed the MDX Sport Hybrid, but its just too large.)

Jaguar F Pace 20d. Passed on it due to reliability, dealership, and price.

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio.

Rdx is a nice if a bit boring vehicle but from gen 1 to 2 it really lost its handling zeal and therefore my consideration.
Somehow the Kia slipped under my radar..bigger and likely more $ than I'd like to spend but..interesting.
Fpace..love it looks wise but cost per hp is an issue along with serious reliability fears..Alfa basically same deal just replace hp with space per $ plus even worse reliability fear.

onno,

Since you're already considering some luxury segment options, what about BMW?

No more diesel x3 but it sucked anyway..pricing has gone from eye popping to downright egregious, less maintenance, no brake coverage. My service experience was a nightmare..quick highlight got my 128 back with new staggered summer tires..only paid double what it normally costs ok fine but they decided 205s were best for the passenger side while the 225s clearly no brainer for drivers side of vehicle! This was after making sure advisor was reminded i had sport package with staggered setup. Yeah wow.

I didn't realize they dropped the X3 diesel for 2018. They just got it certified last year!

I looked into the 328d wagon and was shocked at the price. $52k to get one reasonably equipped but not fully loaded.

I've only owned BMW motorcycles, not cars. My ownership experience was OK, but service was expensive.

Rdx is a nice if a bit boring vehicle but from gen 1 to 2 it really lost its handling zeal and therefore my consideration.
Somehow the Kia slipped under my radar..bigger and likely more $ than I'd like to spend but..interesting.
Fpace..love it looks wise but cost per hp is an issue along with serious reliability fears..Alfa basically same deal just replace hp with space per $ plus even worse reliability fear.

2019 RDX is to be a major re-design. Hopefully adding (back) in the SH-AWD torque vectoring handling and performance, and my wish the 3 electric motors from the NSX, RDX and MDX Sport Hybrid. There are multiple dealers in the area, and they seem good.

The Kia Sorento isn't too big (length 187.4" to CX-5 179.1"). We've enjoyed the gas 2.0 Turbo AWD (discontinued for 2019, to be replaced with 2.2TD).

I hear you on the F Pace. Only one dealer nearby, with poor reputation. The 2018 seems to have addressed a lot of issues.

Alfa Romeo Stelvio is so much fun to drive. A good review over at alexonautos youtube channel, with fair summary of complaints. Poor dealer/s experience. I expect significant sales incentives to move ballooning inventory.

I may look at the new BMX X3 and X5, and the Volvo XC60 T6. The Ford Edge might be due for an update. We looked at the Sport 2.0T back in 2015 and didn't like the all black interior including headliner. Plus there were significant early problems.

Monterra, google 2019 QX50 and let me know your thoughts.

Edit: Detroit Auto Show 1/15. Maybe diesel news from Mazda?

Last edited:
I didn't realize they dropped the X3 diesel for 2018. They just got it certified last year!

I looked into the 328d wagon and was shocked at the price. $52k to get one reasonably equipped but not fully loaded.

I've only owned BMW motorcycles, not cars. My ownership experience was OK, but service was expensive.

BMW's 4cyl diesel (at least the one we got) was crude and underpowered imo and just not worthy of the cost so I say good riddance- I doubt we'll see it return with the new 3 series either... The 2L turbo gas is an impressive mill and pushes around the x1 very effortlessly while returning high 20s, low 30s on trips..but the cost of their vehicles has just far outweighed the goodness of them but YRMV

Last edited:
This is not looking good for Mazda. I agree that they should at least make some sort of statement regarding the diesel, especially for those who are waiting. To those looking for alternatives to the diesel CX-5, I would say look into the NA CX-5, it is actually pretty good. A CPO BMW X3 will cost less and have a longer warranty. Maybe the new Volvo XC60? If you are okay with less sportiness, I suppose the Lexus NX turbo is another option that would most likely be the most reliable of the bunch. It's pretty ugly though LOL.

Back