US Diesel's big splash introduction

I am curious to drive it and see how the sales go.

In the US, Mazda expects just 10% of buyers to opt for the Diesel version....With a projected uptake rate of 10%, and 112k CX-5's sold in 2016, we can extrapolate that Mazda is expecting to sell ~12,000 of the Diesel versions a year.

I am curious to drive it and see how the sales go.

In the US, Mazda expects just 10% of buyers to opt for the Diesel version....With a projected uptake rate of 10%, and 112k CX-5's sold in 2016, we can extrapolate that Mazda is expecting to sell ~12,000 of the Diesel versions a year.

The Nissan XD only sold about 17k units I believe with its introduction into diesel...

I always assumed that Mazda is bringing the Diesel CX-5 to the US market to "compete" with high mileage CUVs like the RAV4 Hybrid & Rogue Hybrid because that is what they could offer now with minimal investment. It also buys them a little time until the next generation of engine and drive train options are available, or whatever they have planned. The hard question for me is how committed is Mazda in maintaining a diesel option for the US market in the long term. I would hate to get attached to a diesel CX-5 only for Mazda to give up on them after a model year or two.

I always assumed that Mazda is bringing the Diesel CX-5 to the US market to "compete" with high mileage CUVs like the RAV4 Hybrid & Rogue Hybrid because that is what they could offer now with minimal investment. It also buys them a little time until the next generation of engine and drive train options are available, or whatever they have planned. The hard question for me is how committed is Mazda in maintaining a diesel option for the US market in the long term. I would hate to get attached to a diesel CX-5 only for Mazda to give up on them after a model year or two.

Interesting. Never thought of it that way, but I agree...

I would have bought a 2016.5 diesel if it was available without hesitation. Diesel is awesome. I really hope they fix the things I don't like about the 2nd gen CX-5 over the next several years in time for me to buy a diesel once they are available in the US. I'd love to keep my CX-5 for a very very long time but with diesels available it's going to be very tempting to replace it sooner. Maybe I will just buy a second one and pass mine along to my wife.

I was in the haters camp, but if I lived in the mountains - boy would i trade my 2.5L Petrol in for a Diesel. The Diesel can eat the 2.5L on inclines. I am not sure on 30+ mpg. For combined or city that number looks ok. In real world I think the diesel can hit high 30s like 35+ - Pretty much pawn the Rogue Hybrid.
Not to mention it will tow more than Petrol and almost 1000 lbs more than CR-V. Lol **

Diesel is bascially come and drive me on CO 115 and enjoy the mountains type CX-5.

** Assuming Diesel comes with 2500 lb tow rating, if its higher than it can basically tow what 2 CRVs can tow together. Damn thats some stronk.

FYI:

We've had the diesel engine here for years and there is no difference in towing capacity between petrol and diesel models

image.png

So it is more than likely no difference for you guys either.

1800 kg = 3968lbs.

In the UK the CX5 diesel is rated to 2000kgs. Unsure why they are rated lower here in Aus - must be something to do with our ADR's, I guess.

They are a capable tow vehicle if you keep things sensible. You dont want to get into a position where the tail is wagging the dog!

Also dont forget that towball downforce is another factor to consider (how much weight is carried on the towball). You can see in the chart in the previous post jeut below the red box that its 150kgs here. Which is more than adequate for a 1800kg trailer weight, to prevent sway.

Wait until you have a drive of one before you make up your mind. Lots of hypothesising going on. These Skyactive diesels are not like other diesels you are likely to have driven.

I took mine for a 1.75 hour run down the highway past the Gold Coast last weekend to watch the V8 Jestsprint boats, most of it at 100-110km/hr. Average economy for the round trip 5.6 litres/100kms. And that included 1 DPF regen cycle. Not too shabby!!

Last edited:
Yes sir, sure am. Great little city. Growing too fast for me though and it's ruining it IMO. Looking for a job that will allow me to bounce...

Diesel is $2.05-2.15 a gallon here currently. Pretty cheap...

I am in Charleston. We drive to the Greenville/Spartenburg area at least 2-3 times a month for various things. I was shocked to see that diesel in that area was often cheaper than regular! I would not hesitate to get a diesel based upon all the driving and the cheap price of fuel. A quieter CX-5 with 300 lb of torque with 35+ MPG, sign me up.

With that said, there are no Mazda's in South Carolina. Very rare around these parts.

I took mine for a 1.75 hour run down the highway past the Gold Coast last weekend to watch the V8 Jestsprint boats, most of it at 100-110km/hr. Average economy for the round trip 5.6 litres/100kms. And that included 1 DPF regen cycle. Not too shabby!!

Conversions for US folk :)

100km/h-110km/h = 62mph-68mph

5.6L/100kms = 42mpg

Last edited:
I am in Charleston. We drive to the Greenville/Spartenburg area at least 2-3 times a month for various things. I was shocked to see that diesel in that area was often cheaper than regular! I would not hesitate to get a diesel based upon all the driving and the cheap price of fuel. A quieter CX-5 with 300 lb of torque with 35+ MPG, sign me up.

With that said, there are no Mazda's in South Carolina. Very rare around these parts.

Food cities! Two of the best in the Nation.

You're right, not a lot of Mazdas here really. Weird though because I am highly into racing, and probably two of biggest names in Mazda racing are here, John Finger (he owns the local dealership in Greenville, which was terrible, unfortunately), and Roger Mandeville from Spartanburg, who built Mazda race cars for a living for IMSA events, 24 hours of Daytona,Sebring, and hill climbs...

Okay, that makes sense. It would certainly be a perk for people who are apprehensive about owning a Mazda with a diesel engine in North America.

Lots of talk about "unlimited mileage warranty" here. Where do you dream up this stuff...? Did I miss a press release? I'd put it in the AA and AC speculation column.

Mazda has a Global diesel market. I think that many of the TDI owners having to take a buyout will appreciate the CX-5 diesel. I know I will. Fun to drive. Love that torque and transmission reviews on this forum are exceptional.
Here in Chicago, diesel bounces between lower than regular and higher than premium. Surrounding burbs are the best price per gallon. My range is extended before full ups so I can easily pace fueling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh its firmly in the speculation column but there's good reasons to believe it could happen..
1. Canadians have had it for almost 3 years already.
2. One of the articles i read said they have big plans for launch of the diesel.
3. They seem pretty ambitious about both the take rate and moving the brand upmarket.
4. Their cars are pretty dang reliable but ppl have reasonable doubts about diesel and or Mazdas involvement/dedication to it
5. I said it on mazdas247;)

Food cities! Two of the best in the Nation.

You're right, not a lot of Mazdas here really. Weird though because I am highly into racing, and probably two of biggest names in Mazda racing are here, John Finger (he owns the local dealership in Greenville, which was terrible, unfortunately), and Roger Mandeville from Spartanburg, who built Mazda race cars for a living for IMSA events, 24 hours of Daytona,Sebring, and hill climbs...

Actually, down here the Mazda dealership is Stokes, which is really good. Very nice people. I moved down from PA and this place is flat. I like the upstate. Much greener and closer to the mountains!

What do you guys mean you don't see an incentive to buy it? 310 lb-ft of torque and possible 30+ combined MPG not enough of an incentive?

No, absolutely no. What good is Tq and mpg when there is no parts inventory in the US, no trained service techs, no support infrastructure. I'd lay down a Benjamin Franklin that says this will not be a successful move for Mazda. The trend in the US is away from diesel cars, not vice versa, and little ol' Mazda is swimming against the tide.

Sorry, but I find this bromance with a CX5 diesel the answer to a question very few are asking. If the demand for performance made a business case, a much smarter move would be an existing T/C petrol motor. What Mazda is thinking makes me SMH.

You want performance in a little car? Go see Honda or VW or Ford.

Since I drive in the mountains a lot, I totally would have been in the market for the diesel version back in 2013 if they had them in the US. Man that torque number looks niiiice.

But I am happy with my gas version and tomorrow it is payed off :)

An argument can be made for fuel economy with regards to Diesel vs Hybrid, but in the end it is still a 'Diesel'.

So?

Seriously, what's with the scary quotes? A bunch of people on this forum have posted that same line of "it's still a diesel" or something similar, as if it's supposed to mean something. Since 2010 or so, I've driven 7 or 8 different passenger cars with small diesels and they're great. All else being equal, for a daily driver I'd take a diesel over a gasoline engine.

No, absolutely no. What good is Tq and mpg when there is no parts inventory in the US, no trained service techs, no support infrastructure.

By that logic, nobody should buy a new CR-V because not only is the 1.5T new to the US, it's new period.

If the demand for performance made a business case, a much smarter move would be an existing T/C petrol motor. What Mazda is thinking makes me SMH.

As I've said before, I would take the CX-5 with the 2.5T. I'm not entirely sure why Mazda chose the diesel over the 2.5T, perhaps because they think there is still a market niche there that VW abandoned. But I'm glad they did, since the 2.2D should deliver about the same real world performance as the 2.5T but with much better fuel economy and range.

Of those three, only Ford offers a higher performance engine option.

Lots of talk about "unlimited mileage warranty" here. Where do you dream up this stuff...? Did I miss a press release? I'd put it in the AA and AC speculation column.
This is an idea brought forth by OP based on some stuff he has found. It is not yet confirmed for USA market.

No, absolutely no. What good is Tq and mpg when there is no parts inventory in the US, no trained service techs, no support infrastructure. I'd lay down a Benjamin Franklin that says this will not be a successful move for Mazda. The trend in the US is away from diesel cars, not vice versa, and little ol' Mazda is swimming against the tide.

Sorry, but I find this bromance with a CX5 diesel the answer to a question very few are asking. If the demand for performance made a business case, a much smarter move would be an existing T/C petrol motor. What Mazda is thinking makes me SMH.

How stupid of a car manufacturer do you think Mazda is to release a diesel CX-5 here in the States without being able to support it? They are not a startup company introducing their first ever car. They've been building cars for decades. I trust that they know what they are trying to do here.
- They usually have a good inventory of common parts here in North America. If they don't, I don't mind them ordering the part from Japan and waiting for it to get here, as long as they give me a loaner car if my car isn't drivable. 100% of the time they gave me a loaner car if my car was not drivable based on past experience.
- If my local dealership has a dedicated Mazdaspeed service tech that can service my Speed3, I'm sure they will find a way to get trained techs to service their diesel CX-5s. Btw, you talk of diesel as if it is a new mysterious type of engine that no one knows how to service.
- What support infrastructure do you need for the diesel CX-5s? Gas stations that serve up diesel? I have one that is only a 5 minute walk from my home. On my road trips to Houston and Austin from Dallas, I've always seen gas stations offering diesel advertised on my routes. If the VW TDis were able to drive across the country, I think the bare minimum infrastructure is there to support a diesel CX-5.
- Whether or not this is a successful move for Mazda, in terms of sales, is a totally different question that is not even related to the "what incentive do you need to consider a diesel CX-5" question. I have no answer for this and only time will tell if they are successful or not.

I agree, if a performance focused CX-5 was the goal, the 2.5T engine would be the better option. It will also come with much lower fuel economy than the existing 2.5 NA engine. So you get 310 lb-ft of torque and worse gas mileage. The value proposition of the diesel option, is you get 310 lb-ft of torque and better gas mileage than the 2.5 NA engine.

Have you even driven a car with more than 250 lb-ft of midrange torque? Passing is effortless in a car like that. You put in a gear where the RPM is around 2.5k to 3k, step on the gas and the surge of torque carries your car forward. The diesel CX-5 has 310 lb-ft at just 2k RPM. Midrange torque makes for a great daily driver. This is what makes the GTI fun to drive as well as the BMW/Audi cars with their flat torque curves.

Ford only offers a high performance engine? Lol

So VWs close to 300hp and Hondas 300+hp 4 bangers don't count?

Last edited:
I've read where Focus RS owners are experiencing cracked heads and other significant problems. Not to mention an unbearable driving experience on common roads.

Ford only offers a high performance engine? Lol

So VWs close to 300hp and Hondas 300+hp 4 bangers don't count?
I think what he means is Ford offers a high performance engine option for the model lineup. For instance, the Ford Escape, Edge and Fusion are available with base engines, or a high powered ecoboost engine. VW doesn't offer that, you have to get a totally different car, like you have to upgrade to a GTI or Golf R, but you cannot have a regular Golf with the high power engine. Same thing with the Honda Civic, you cannot get a regular Civic with the upcoming Civic Type-R engine. The Honda Accord is an exception here as you can get it with the V6.

Mazda also has this problem here in the States. They have a 2.5T engine, but you have to upgrade to the CX-9 to get it. It is not available for the Mazda3, Mazda6 or CX-5. The diesel engine option is probably their first ever "engine option" for an existing SkyActiv model.

Last edited:
Back