US Diesel's big splash introduction

I wonder what's the ratio of each gear...

This is our ratios:

image.png

And they labelled my unit as 2018 model. However when you ask the sales agent the difference from the 2017 model, he couldn't answer. [emoji16]

There isn't any difference. Too soon in the model's life span for any change.

Any spec update might happen after March 2018

I always floor the throttle in auto and it shifts plenty fast enough for me, revs up to 3000 rpm, only time I down shift in manual is when I have the 1700kg caravan on the back and want to overtake, even then its not every time.

I'm not sure what you mean about loosing all the acceleration.?

Thats it. Not much point revving above 3000rpm. If I’m overtaking over a longer stretch, I use the manual gear change to force upshifts as flooring the accelerator holds the lower gear but its very unnerving when you lose all the acceleration. Its something that will take some getting used to if you have never driven a diesel. You’ll know exactly what I mean when you get to drive one.

I always floor the throttle in auto and it shifts plenty fast enough for me, revs up to 3000 rpm, only time I down shift in manual is when I have the 1700kg caravan on the back and want to overtake, even then its not every time.

I'm not sure what you mean about loosing all the acceleration.?

Above 3000rpm, you've already past peak torque figures and redline is not that far away. Hence yes you are accelerating but at a slower rate than say during peak torque range.

Its the auto that changes at 3K revs, I'm sure Mazda engineers know what they are doing otherwise the change up would be earlier, I've also seen it higher than 3K on occasions.
Max power is quite high for a diesel, so although the torque is reduced max power isn't at its peak. And it red lines at 5200 rpm.

Ps the point where power crosses the torque graph is around 3,600 rpm.

Above 3000rpm, you've already past peak torque figures and redline is not that far away. Hence yes you are accelerating but at a slower rate than say during peak torque range.

Last edited:
Its the auto that changes at 3K revs, I'm sure Mazda engineers know what they are doing otherwise the change up would be earlier, I've also seen it higher than 3K on occasions.
Max power is quite high for a diesel, so although the torque is reduced max power isn't at its peak. And it red lines at 5200 rpm.

Ps the point where power crosses the torque graph is around 3,600 rpm.

The auto may change at 3K, but on the graph from the previous page, at 3000rpm range torque is already decreasing - below 400NM and at 3600rpm, it's sitting at approximately 350NM (still a way ahead of the 2.5L and most other small capacity diesels). It's still quite adequate to get the things done.

I have no issues with this diesel as from all the reviews I've read, it's one of the better performing small capacity diesels.

My auto doesn’t change at 3000rpm, its mapped to change depending on demand. Mine changes up at 2-2500rpm unless I’m pushing it in which case, I slip it over into manual and force upchanges. You can also encourage an upchange by easing off the power just a tad. Under normal driving the car cruises at 1500-2000rpm.

Nope... doesn't appear so. But you get LED fog lights across all trims....

https://www.mazda.ph/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/All-New-Mazda-CX-5-5.9.17.pdf
Yeah. I've seen the foglights and it really doesn't make much difference for me in terms of brightness. I maybe wrong because I haven't gotten hold of my unit yet but judging from it's brightness when turned on.
Must be related to some sort of law in your country that doesn't allow this or possibly driving conditions
No laws regarding that but it's more on economy and profit. SRP of the "top tier" which is diesel is $43k!!!!
We only get 3 variants here. 2.0 PRO (FWD) basic level @ $30k, 2.5 gas AWD @ $37k and the diesel AWD.[emoji4] Each tier has a more accessories or "package" as you called it.

Back