US Diesel's big splash introduction

I know I have posted this previously but as a reference for USA future owners, our diesel fuel figures are as follows:

City 7.0 L/100km (33.60 USA mpg)
Highway 5.5 L/100km (42.77 USA mpg)
Combined 6.0 L/100lm (39.20 USA mpg)

Note - these figures are for AWD

Last edited:
Combined is, I think 27 MPG for a FWD. So, a 20% increase puts it in the RAV4 Hybrid/Rogue Hybrid range, maybe, just a bit above. Some of you outliers might be able to do better. Honestly, I'd be really happy at 33/34 MPG.

I know I have posted this previously but as a reference for USA future owners, our diesel fuel figures are as follows:

City 7.0 L/100km (33.60 USA mpg)
Highway 5.5 L/100km (42.77 USA mpg)
Combined 6.0 L/100lm (39.20 USA mpg)

Those would be serious good numbers. I hope it both appears and achieves them.

So with the recent chatter about further delays along with recent radio silence from Mazda or publications confirming its arrival date/details, etc. I was starting to skid my shorts a little (more than typical) BUT I think a ray of hope has emitted from the corona of totality. I believe on the US site it stated 2017 CX-5 diesel didn't it? None of us really thought they'd tag it 2017 with a fall 2017ish arrival right? Well now it doesn't say a year (could be viewed as a negative too I guess) but they made a change without removing it which leads me to believe its still happening or at least they still think it is....fwiw

Last edited:
Also received this when I contacted them via e-mail.
67086068b7792a7280fde3b6e719a41d.png

So November/December this year

If so, and if residuals and money factors for leasing and are good, I'm in.

If later, well, I'll probably pick up a CX-8 US model in about two years (the CX-8 would size would be great, although don't need the third row seating). I think they CX-8 would sell well in the US, with diesel, a 2.5T, or their newly announced for "2019" engine tech. The CX-9 is just too long for my preference.

Last edited:
I get 42 (US) on long journeys at a steady 70mph and 37 with only short journeys.

If I reset the average mpg while cruising at 70mph then stays around 48 if there are no really steep inclines.

Mine is the 148bhp 2013 UK diesel.

My 2017 175 diesel is creeping up in mpg. I clocked it at fill up yesterday at 35.9 which equates to just about 30US. I know that isn't brilliant but it will continue to improve and my drive to work is quite arduous with some very steep hills. What is more interesting to me is that it has not diluted the oil at all in 2000 miles which is a revelation for a Skyactive diesel. The regeneration cycles are much shorter and much less frequent and I reckon that it should settle into the low 40s which is about 10mpg better than the 2016.5 model. On a motorway trip, that car would push 50mpg so this should be very good. Keep in mind, this car accelerates like a RAV4 with a V6 motor.

If so, and if residuals and money factors for leasing and are good, I'm in.

If later, well, I'll probably pick up a CX-8 US model in about two years (the CX-8 would size would be great, although don't need the third row seating). I think they CX-8 would sell well in the US, with diesel, a 2.5T, or their newly announced for "2019" engine tech. The CX-9 is just too long for my preference.

More chance of SkyActiv II/X in a CX-5 for USA than CX-8

Good info man..thanks..but i only see year in url now...I could be missing it but either way good news if its an extra cpl months- so be it i say waited this bloody long!

Have any of you folks waiting for the US diesel signed up for the updates/news releases from Mazda? If so, have there been any?

I did also and don't remember seeing anything..or at least not anything noteworthy..

What is more interesting to me is that it has not diluted the oil at all in 2000 miles which is a revelation for a Skyactive diesel. The regeneration cycles are much shorter and much less frequent and I reckon that it should settle into the low 40s which is about 10mpg better than the 2016.5 model.

This is very interesting. I'm due my first service in a couple of weeks and the oil level has risen about 1cm over the full level mark at 10,000 miles (mostly long journeys). The level was halfway between min and max when new with 3 miles on it.

Chevy Equinox diesel in US for 39 mpg. It has a price premium of 1600 dollars I suppose.

Back