US Diesel's big splash introduction

Mazda 3 has to be the most poorly thought out Mazda in the entire lineup including all cars we never get CX4 and CX8. Its lightweight but the 2.5 seems better in my CX5 the way its tuned. MPG is barely better or same than a Mazda6 (which is bad with the 2.5). Rear seat is practically useless unless you are small. Its sad that even Europeans with their twisties are not liking the 3. It has the worst quality interior now that CX3 trumps it as well. I really wanted to like it - but my CX5 is more rev happy and eager to drop the hammer than the 3 I drove.
Of all Mazda's I would say Gen 1 CX5 with 2.5 has the best setup wrt to driving and low end torque.

My son liked the 3 and would buy another, on average he would see around 42mpg UK, which is about the same he expects with the VW.
As a passenger I couldn't fault the ride handling or performance with the car full with two kids and three adults... He like me wanted a change.

Mazda 3 has to be the most poorly thought out Mazda in the entire lineup including all cars we never get CX4 and CX8. Its lightweight but the 2.5 seems better in my CX5 the way its tuned. MPG is barely better or same than a Mazda6 (which is bad with the 2.5). Rear seat is practically useless unless you are small. Its sad that even Europeans with their twisties are not liking the 3. It has the worst quality interior now that CX3 trumps it as well. I really wanted to like it - but my CX5 is more rev happy and eager to drop the hammer than the 3 I drove.
Of all Mazda's I would say Gen 1 CX5 with 2.5 has the best setup wrt to driving and low end torque.

But you can get a top of the line GT trim with everything on it and a manual transmission on the Mazda3. Of course that doesn't matter to most of the general population though. I've never driven the newer Mazda3 with the 2.5 engine, but if it is the same engine as in the CX-5, which it is, it will upshift to 2nd as soon as you blink an eye. Okay I'm just kidding. What I'm trying to say is, the Mazda3 to get, is the one with the 2.5 engine and manual transmission. The bonus is, you can get it in GT trim as well.

Yet it is the most sold Mazda vehicle here in Oz land and basically has not been touched since it's release back in 2014 with the exception of some tweaks to it's looks and equipment

The Mazda 3 is faster than the Mazda 6 (non turbo), can be had in a manual, comes in a hatch version, has more rear room than the CX-3, corners better than the 6 and has the same basic interior as the CX-5 and CX-3. And the top of the line version can be had for 23K. And it has more safety features than the competition.

Honestly, sale are down a ton in the USA as it needs a refresh but sales are holding pretty steady in Europe and are OK in China (China sales are basically double the USA!). The rear seats are small but are similar to others in the class - Honda Civic Hatch. This is the perfect 16-20 something car.

MPG in automatic is good - 35 around town and 40 on highway - but we have the 2.0. I personally really like the 2.0 and find it to be much better than the 2.5L. The 2.0 is happy to rev and generates some pull at 4-6K. The 2.5 does not. I can't believe people wanted that engine in the Miata. Goes to show people are pretty damn stupid and just look at numbers. Thank god Mazda does not pay attention to those people.

Our 3 makes our CX-5 feel like a Nissan Rouge. Going to buy another one in 2019.

Yo Monty. Super session #7

Good stuff. First time Ive had it.

I thought a 2014 3 HB Auto with the 2.0L was a bit lacking, but agree it felt more at home higher up in the rpms.

The Mazda 3 is faster than the Mazda 6 (non turbo), can be had in a manual, comes in a hatch version, has more rear room than the CX-3, corners better than the 6 and has the same basic interior as the CX-5 and CX-3. And the top of the line version can be had for 23K. And it has more safety features than the competition.

Honestly, sale are down a ton in the USA as it needs a refresh but sales are holding pretty steady in Europe and are OK in China (China sales are basically double the USA!). The rear seats are small but are similar to others in the class - Honda Civic Hatch. This is the perfect 16-20 something car.

MPG in automatic is good - 35 around town and 40 on highway - but we have the 2.0. I personally really like the 2.0 and find it to be much better than the 2.5L. The 2.0 is happy to rev and generates some pull at 4-6K. The 2.5 does not. I can't believe people wanted that engine in the Miata. Goes to show people are pretty damn stupid and just look at numbers. Thank god Mazda does not pay attention to those people.

Our 3 makes our CX-5 feel like a Nissan Rouge. Going to buy another one in 2019.

Lack of AWD is a nonstarter, otherwise I'd be all over it.

7s are def good but I like the #8 better with its mosaic on full song..Todd the axeman ipa going down nicely in Neb.. completely forgot about that one..heard overrated but its solid

Last edited:
I'd rock an awd stick 3 hatch too..but agree it wants to play way more than the 2.5 wants to..miata motor pls!

Mazda CX-5 Diesel: Is This Fuel Economy Enough to Get Buyers In Line?

Apparently an up to torque figure has been released:

"Fuel economy isn't the diesel engine's only attribute; indeed, many would-be buyers could be waiting to get their hands on a shapely crossover with up to 310 lb-ft of torque (there's still no official U.S.-market power specs)"

If correct, it's lower than our current version's 332 lb-ft

Mazda CX-5 Diesel: Is This Fuel Economy Enough to Get Buyers In Line?

Apparently an up to torque figure has been released:

"Fuel economy isn't the diesel engine's only attribute; indeed, many would-be buyers could be waiting to get their hands on a shapely crossover with up to 310 lb-ft of torque (there's still no official U.S.-market power specs)"

If correct, it's lower than our current version's 332 lb-ft

Kindof useless prattle considering that in the same line it says "no figures available". I mean...why even comment, then?

2zyx7i1.gif

This thread is addicted
With the mpg announced for the diesel, I thought it's already dead
There's no splash here!

This thread is addicted
With the mpg announced for the diesel, I thought it's already dead
There's no splash here!

Yeah, I think the only hope for pro-diesel crowd is that the leaked EPA numbers were preliminary and Mazda had a follow-up test that fared way better. Theyve gotta get that up to 40mpg hwy to woo buyers.

Back