US Diesel's big splash introduction

GUYS!! Let me ask you question..have any of you driven a 200hp 4cylinder diesel putting down 369lb-ft in a small AWD SUV returning low 30s on the road? No, right? Exactly. Go find/drive a used 4400# GLK250 4matic and tell me you don't love the powertrain, and you wouldn't like to have it in your CX-5...I dare you. Yes the output is higher than what we'll see in the 5er but so was the weight of that porker..8.1 to 60 but it felt a hell of lot stronger than that. Don't take my word for it...do it and report back so you can actually make informed/meaningful comments...great thanks

(unamused)

Sorry, getting tired of hearing all the bs- go test drive something similar (glk250 bluetec is probably the closest approximation I can come up with) and then tell me how pointless it is pull the plug whatever..thanks. Yes I feel strongly about it, and as a shareholder and a fan of compression will continue to defend it full stop. Go buy your Tesla or whatever makes you feel good, I want a diesel.
#dontbah8r

Last edited:
Sorry, getting tired of hearing all the bs- drive something similar (glk250 bluetec is probably the closest approximation I can come up with) and then tell me how pointless it is pull the plug whatever..thanks. Yes I feel strongly about it, and will continue to defend it full stop.

Who*s to say we haven*t. If it*s all BS being posted, then yours runneth just as deep...

I mean we are all talking about an engine they*ve been talking about bringing for what, 5 years now? It*s not like pulling the plug wouldn*t be a bad idea, but I*ll give em a little credit for continuing to try. Like AA as well, still waiting...

^I didn't say everything being posted is here bs but man the crap-o-meter has been spiking of late..why mine runneth just as deep? You've said diesel is nonsense or you're generally a non-fan (for whatever reason) and you're certainly entitled to that opinion as I'm entitled to think VAG caused much of the 5 or so year delay with their deception and lies that runneth real fkn deep and tarnished the tech probably beyond repair.

I made an assumption that you could only really hate on it if you haven't experienced it (in like form). Am I wrong? You've driven something comparable? If so fine I'll own it. But there aren't that many I'd count as comps and if you're generally a non-fan you probably wouldn't waste your time test driving one...with that said I'd really like to your hear thoughts/findings on comparable output diesel vehicles that you or other commenters on here have experienced if any, seriously.

Last edited:
(cricket)So I guess I was right then?..Look statistically I liked my odds and you can like or dislike anything for any reason- I'm just getting tired of hearing diesel is dead, what a waste- the 2.5T will render it obsolete when so many Americans have had so little exposure to a diesel of any kind much less the few truly good ones the have been sold here. They still make plenty of sense for our bigger SUVs- yeah I think the CX-9 would've been an even better candidate for this motor..even though for selfish reasons I'm happy its going in the CX-5 first..I think.

Last edited:
Or maybe my buddy Elon or someone in his pocket was in charge of the testing..who knows! But we're not getting the weak sauce version so again not seeing this as a disaster by any means...its a hurdle, sub-optimal, I'm sure its not what Mazda was going for but let's see how it shakes out.

Last edited:
Maybe they can't tune it right to meet regulations. Hence the poor figures
thinking this is most likely the issue.
the last time Mazda got close to releasing a Diesel in the US they pulled the plug because they didn't feel it had the driving characteristics (aka performance) that their brand was known for.
Maybe that was looking to be the case so they just went with driving experience over fuel economy?
odd based on some of the comments that Mazda made previously but it would make sense. sort of.

let's see how it shakes out.
yup.
I'm waiting to see a driving review (or 5) before rending my verdict. I will admit, it's not looking good but who knows, maybe it'll still be worth it even without hybrid level fuel economy they had originally sought.

thinking this is most likely the issue.
the last time Mazda got close to releasing a Diesel in the US they pulled the plug because they didn't feel it had the driving characteristics (aka performance) that their brand was known for.
Maybe that was looking to be the case so they just went with driving experience over fuel economy?
odd based on some of the comments that Mazda made previously but it would make sense. sort of.

Quite possibly.

I wonder how much input Mazda Japan engineers had during regulation compliance or was it just Mazda North American engineers (uhm)

"All of these problems are cured by spending an extra $3,000 to upgrade to Mazda*s excellent, class-benchmark diesel engine. The 2.2-litre twin-turbo has been around a while, and it was already our favourite diesel in a family SUV before these updates, and 420Nm was already a lot * but the new upgrade to 450Nm puts the icing on the cake. The diesel CX-5 is everything the petrol CX-5 is not: it is supremely torquey, effortless to drive, quiet, unexpectedly refined and very fuel efficient. That*s our biggest piece of advice: get the diesel. It is money well spent. You*ll make some (probably not all) of it back in fuel savings, but you*ll enjoy the driving experience much more during your ownership of the car. Plus, the price reductions for 2018 mean you can get the CX-5 diesel in decently-equipped Maxx Sport form for $39,990 * which is a great deal."

Why did you cheap out X?

450Nm=332lb-ft
If we get all 332lb-ft, 140kW(thats 190.4hp for us yanks) and see 30+ on road I ain't complainin, I'm buyin...but like geico saving you money on car insurance you probably already knew that

450Nm=332lb-ft
If we get all 332lb-ft, 140kW(thats 190.4hp for us yanks) and see 30+ on road I ain't complainin, I'm buyin...but like geico saving you money on car insurance you probably already knew that

If you get these figures then its the same as ours

Yep, hell if they were really smart, they'd just go ahead and pull the plug completely. Should've, would've, could've...

After seeing the economy numbers, yeah, that would be the smart thing.

"I know you like this 2.5G AWD Grand Touring model, but would you like to pay $2500 more for this exact same model, with worse acceleration, a 1-2mpg more highway efficiency, and $0.25 more a gallon to fuel, with more parts to break, and more maintenance items and procedures, in case you want to tow a pop-up camper behind your CUV?" "Great! I knew you'd see the light in this logical upgrade!"---No Mazda Sales Rep. Ever.

Last edited:
Slower? Really? How much? How do you know? Oh right you don't..only few mpg more..maybe we'll see seems fishy- but you don't know that either. More complex and more expensive, yes. Worth it? I don't know yet...on paper with the limited details we have it wouldn't appear so but I'm reserving judgement.

Can you post up some stock CX5D numbers from anywhere in the world that are a legit improvement on the 2.5G? Now, do you think with NA Emissions we are likely to get a freer flowing, stronger CX5D? Okay then.

Guilty as charged- I used Mercedes GLK def numbers as it was what could find..ok so instead of $12 figure $24-$30 every 10k guys my bad but again not really a known at this point...my point was DEF cost is minimal and really shouldn't factor in imo. Upfront cost sure, fuel cost/availability maybe but that will almost certainly be wiped out by real world FE gains...

Yeah, I don't care about DEF fluid cost. I care about the system itself. Also keep in mind DEF may freeze below 12*F, and you cannot add ANYTHING to DEF to prevent this. It is what it is.

Oh, here is a picture I took last winter, before you start saying "But who cares...?" Well, obviously I do, and I don't even live "up north".
26758433_966004149381_4882242552519501706_o.jpg

The DEF system can cost significantly to maintain over the course of the life of the car, provided you plan to keep it the 200K miles that one presumes a modern car should AT LEAST last.

*PS, wow, I've driven nearly 20K miles since I took that photo in mid Jan.

Last edited:
"All of these problems are cured by spending an extra $3,000 to upgrade to Mazda*s excellent, class-benchmark diesel engine. The 2.2-litre twin-turbo has been around a while, and it was already our favourite diesel in a family SUV before these updates, and 420Nm was already a lot * but the new upgrade to 450Nm puts the icing on the cake. The diesel CX-5 is everything the petrol CX-5 is not: it is supremely torquey, effortless to drive, quiet, unexpectedly refined and very fuel efficient. That*s our biggest piece of advice: get the diesel. It is money well spent. You*ll make some (probably not all) of it back in fuel savings, but you*ll enjoy the driving experience much more during your ownership of the car. Plus, the price reductions for 2018 mean you can get the CX-5 diesel in decently-equipped Maxx Sport form for $39,990 * which is a great deal."

Why did you cheap out X?

No reply???

As far as extreme cold yeah its a concern(where did you see -10F btw) but..I have an attached garage that never dips below 32, garage at work also same..but it is still a small concern of mine..

Can you post up some stock CX5D numbers from anywhere in the world that are a legit improvement on the 2.5G? Now, do you think with NA Emissions we are likely to get a freer flowing, stronger CX5D? Okay then.

http://performancedrive.com.au/2018-mazda-cx-5-diesel-review-touring-gt-video-2823/

Versus a new 2.5 gas you can buy in the heftier, slower V2.0, its an improvement, and its legit. As for what we'll ultimately see..we don't know yet, maybe they turned it up even more hence our lower fe numbers..I'd be fine with that:) And you're going to say but mine's still faster so why bother..and I'm going to say you don't buy a diesel to win races- if/when the 2.5T arrives it will easily outgun it and that's fine- I think I'd still choose the diesel (at least when tuned to 190/332+) because it gives you solid performance- again its kinda of a feel thing- like sport mode but more freight train-like its hard to explain with (still very respectable-let's see test results) efficiency.

Better grunt, better efficiency, Papa Diesel

Last edited:
No reply???

Are you referring to me (uhm) If so then apologies I missed it.

The reason that I didn't go for the diesel is it doesn't make financial sense for me:

• Don't do enough kilometres to justify the extra upfront cost
  • Because I don't do enough kilometres, it is quite possible that I would have Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) issues. You need to get the temperature high enough for the DPF to do it's job. Everyone knows that diesel engine is primarily suited to longer distance driving than every day inner city and suburbs driving

Are you referring to me (uhm) If so then apologies I missed it.

The reason that I didn't go for the diesel is it doesn't make financial sense for me:

• Don't do enough kilometres to justify the extra upfront cost
  • Because I don't do enough kilometres, it is quite possible that I would have Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) issues. You need to get the temperature high enough for the DPF to do it's job. Everyone knows that diesel engine is primarily suited to longer distance driving than every day inner city and suburbs driving

Smart...

Back