US Diesel's big splash introduction

My problem with bimmers is that there is never one that is CPO, affordable enough with blind spot monitors. Usually there will be one or two in the market and they will be priced close to brand new, which negates the point of saving money to buy CPO. This is what I love about Mazdas, is that the much needed safety tech are available even in just the low trim levels.

BSM?.......shoot try finding a CPO Bimmer without halogen headlights and at a good price point. You gotta love US Spec BMWs. :) In the meantime all Toyota Corollas come with LEDs stock.

^I honestly think it will come this time- not that that means anything but I'm 99.9% sure by this time next year and likely by late this year early next you'll have at least one additional CX-5 engine option...so that's good, right?

BSM?.......shoot try finding a CPO Bimmer without halogen headlights and at a good price point. You gotta love US Spec BMWs. :) In the meantime all Toyota Corollas come with LEDs stock.

Funny you say that I was just doing a cpo search..xenons cut the field down sharply and thought I found a tasty '15 X135i Msport (xenons std) w/low miles in the mid/upper 20s(less than my 15 RWDs resid w/less miles and a turbo 6) in PA but they must have sold it...~3mos left on my X1 lease so looking at options..

Last edited:

Yeah it is very hard to find one at a good price point with BSM. You're right about the lights too. If I'm not mistaken, to get BSM in a BMW X3 or 3 series, you have to opt for the Driver Assistance Package II or something like that. I don't think BSM is even offered yet in the X1. Anyways, this is one of the things mainstream brands do right. Backup camera and BSM and other good stuff available as standard and on lower trim levels.

Funny you say that I was just doing a cpo search..xenons cut the field down sharply and thought I found a tasty '15 X135i Msport (xenons std) w/low miles in the mid/upper 20s(less than my 15 RWDs resid w/less miles and a turbo 6) in PA but they must have sold it...~3mos left on my X1 lease so looking at options..

What engine is in the Msport? Historically BMW's weakspots (aside from window regulators) had been the engine cooling system (waterpump, oil cooler, ect). Adequate for NA inline 6 engines. Something to watch out for in BMW turbo engines. Def considered to upgrade if owning long term.

Yes, Corollas come with LEDs standard, and they blind on-coming traffic. Not impressed.

True. Very true actually LOL. Mazda's unit has a very sharp cutoff and aimed low stock. On my mazda6 I had to readjust it a tiny bit up.

What engine is in the Msport? Historically BMW's weakspots (aside from window regulators) had been the engine cooling system (waterpump, oil cooler, ect). Adequate for NA inline 6 engines. Something to watch out for in BMW turbo engines. Def considered to upgrade if owning long term.

Window regulators..2 of those replaced on my old Ccoupe..
Msport is typically offered as a package or 'line' on any engine (don't think the 320s have it though)..when its an actual model designation ie X3M40i they usually reserve that for the hotted up turbo I6 variant but I think this also varies with location. Its basically become a pretty shameless money grab but on mine it was the only way to get painted underbody trim, nicer more aggressive front fascia, a black headliner but most important a sport suspension that the generic sport line didn't offer on the X1.

Last edited:
Congrats to US. Mazda CX-5 diesel just passed California standards and waiting for the EPA. Good opportunity because Benz diesel is pulling out of the US market.

yeah, it was reported the engine received CARB certification back in April (?) but we have yet to hear anything since from mazda or EPA.
Love Mazda but man do they have s*** communication skills.

Jedi54,
What would you have done if you were Mazda?
Keep saying "It is coming...."?
The schedule is not controllable to Mazda. It is the Fed.

I'll take that one..yes, they absolutely should reiterate ("its still coming- we're finalizing everything and its taken some time, we understand and appreciate your loyalty and patience")--its been what a year and a half now? I've no doubt it is largely the fed but a little reassurance would be nice especially for those of us waiting on this to decide what the next one will be...

Easy, they should have better managed expectations from the beginning and when a (self imposed) release / launch date is missed, OWN it, email those who signed up for updates and actually given updates.
they're missing golden opportunities here.
CARB certification in the face of Diesel-Gate is a HUGE deal yet Mazda is completely quiet. Instead of drumming up interest and getting potential customers lined up they're losing them by remaining completely quiet.

Just the fact that their "future vehicle" section url is https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/2017-cx-5-diesel is F'ing embarassing and there truly is no excuse for it. It says to their customers, "we don't give a s***" that we promised this car a year ago, haven't delivered, and we're even too lazy to update the url so instread it'll stand as a giant "F you" to our customers.

now, all of that said, it's tough to find a more die hard mazda fan than I. I know it sounds like I'm being ultra critical (and I am) but it's because I've continiously owned Mazda's for the last 20 years, know people at Mazda, and even work with them annually to put on an enormous car event.
Mazda is better than this and that's what is so disappointing.

Easy, they should have better managed expectations from the beginning and when a (self imposed) release / launch date is missed, OWN it, email those who signed up for updates and actually given updates.
they're missing golden opportunities here.
CARB certification in the face of Diesel-Gate is a HUGE deal yet Mazda is completely quiet. Instead of drumming up interest and getting potential customers lined up they're losing them by remaining completely quiet.

Just the fact that their "future vehicle" section url is https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/2017-cx-5-diesel is F'ing embarassing and there truly is no excuse for it. It says to their customers, "we don't give a s***" that we promised this car a year ago, haven't delivered, and we're even too lazy to update the url so instread it'll stand as a giant "F you" to our customers.

now, all of that said, it's tough to find a more die hard mazda fan than I. I know it sounds like I'm being ultra critical (and I am) but it's because I've continiously owned Mazda's for the last 20 years, know people at Mazda, and even work with them annually to put on an enormous car event.
Mazda is better than this and that's what is so disappointing.

The saga is like a comedy .

Yes it is but all it needs is a press release or a statement - even if it said, sorry, were not in a position to give a date or even, it might not happen now, it would be far more acceptable than this silence.

Poor show Mazda US.

It's not a "Big splash" anymore, more like a "slight ripple". Actually, not even that, more like "mill pond smooth"

^Yeah yeah..if and when this thing drops here its still a big(ish) deal (I've wanted a diesel for idk 10+years now but none have been both affordable and desirable).. I'm still expecting good things to happen.

Back