US Diesel's big splash introduction

I hear you. Unfortunately, we don't have any updates since the last one where it was certified by CARB. Also since we're already halfway through the year, I don't think Mazda will be releasing it this year.

They could towards the end as a 2019 MY maybe? I don't know what their release dates tend to be though, so that is just a guess. ;)

I know.
Unfortunately even I'm starting to lose hope we'll see this soon.
I'm giving it through the summer and then I'm buying something else. Probalby another German car. :)

I know.
I'm giving it through the summer and then I'm buying something else. Probalby another German car. :)

The lack of proper communication is poor

I know.

Search your feelings and you'll know this to be true..buying German is a rich/fool's errand- lease my son...but as you wish, as you wi..

Last edited:
In light of the latest CARB and EPA activity the CX-5 diesel seems more promising than ever, really. If you remember in that Youtube video from a couple months ago where the Mazda Canada spokeswoman was being interviewed she spoke pretty confidently about it, as well. If you look at the date the 2018 CX-5's changes were announced in (N.A. anyways), it was in Nov of '17 with an on sale date of Dec '17. When you consider that, and Mazda's last minute communications I wouldn't expect to hear anything until just before the model year change. Who knows, but that's a guess.

Search your feelings and you'll know this to be true..buying German is a rich/fool's errand- lease my son...but as you wish, as you wi..

But they are so fun, I hear. And you still have a M or AMG, not a Chrysler, even if the repairs are of similar frequency, lol!

Frequency is one thing 2x the cost is another but hey if you've got some cheddar to burn..@eod there are plenty of vorse vices. Imo the fun doesn't outweigh the cost/trouble of owning something with an m or amg badge esp one out of warranty but that's just me.

Last edited:
Frequency is one thing 2x the cost is another but hey if you've got some cheddar to burn..@eod there are plenty of vorse vices. Imo the fun doesn't outweigh the cost/trouble of something with an m or amg badge but that's just me.

You haven't compared your cx5 to a GLC43 AMG, have you?

I remain torn between that, or an SRT Jeep when I pay off my beater. Or just spending it on ammo and training. First world problems.

Last edited:
No and look I'm sure that thing is a hoot but i can get a cx5 and a brz or miata rf for that $ while saving a ton in maint costs..and driving ~25k/annum this makes a shitload more sense to me. That 60k cuv(for starters) is damn fast but its still not a sports car...i think. Why have you?

I wanted to post the link to "Alfa stomps Porsche and AMG" C/D article but oddly its not available online yet..I still haven't even read the article but the proud red Stelvio Quad is on the cover (I know its the next level up price wise)..but
I did drive the Stelvio Ti or whatever it was @50k about a month ago and that's honestly all the speed I'd need for the street, but visibility was poor- just give me a rwd Giulia and the change..but it did drive great, was fun and actually is quite sporty without a fancy M or AMG badge to remind me of where all that extra dough went. But..I'm scared to even lease one with all the quality issues I've been reading about..and the dealer isn't close..so G70 is the on deck favorite until I go back to a true sports car.

Last edited:
Ahh but vich von? Doubling down you are? Aggressive. Most aggressive:)

BMW X3
3.0L, 6 cylinder, AWD.
the things a blast to drive TBH. Yeah, the repairs aren't fun to pay for but truthfully I've had to do so few of them that I really don't mind.

Get your Fiat Jeep soon before the Chinese get a hold of the brand.
Or dont. My boss has already spent $7k on a new transmission in her newish Jeep.

Edit: As well as always being in the shop for something or another.

Fun sure, but terrible vehicles.

Last edited:
54k for a well (not full out) equipped X3 30i- may as well go up to the M40i for 60. mid 50s for a turbo 4 (yes it is a vg one but..) or 60 for a hot rod turbo I6 X3..my bimmers did hold together pretty well but idk that's alot of coin..3yr maint, no brakes now..

yeah, that's the only issue I have with them is that the price of them really goes up once you start adding options.
It always starts off like that with Bimmers too. "well, if I'm already paying $54k, might as well go to $60k, but if I add a few grand more I can have ____"
next thing you know you dropped $70k.

If I go zee German route again, I think I might do what I did this last time around and see if I can find a CPO that's only a year or two old, let someone else take that huge depreciation hit and then ride out that extended warranty.

who knows.
it would all be a moot point if freaking Mazda has the Diesel version out though!
/end rant
:)

My problem with bimmers is that there is never one that is CPO, affordable enough with blind spot monitors. Usually there will be one or two in the market and they will be priced close to brand new, which negates the point of saving money to buy CPO. This is what I love about Mazdas, is that the much needed safety tech are available even in just the low trim levels.

You haven't compared your cx5 to a GLC43 AMG, have you?

I remain torn between that, or an SRT Jeep when I pay off my beater. Or just spending it on ammo and training. First world problems.

Get your Fiat Jeep soon before the Chinese get a hold of the brand.

I've been patiently waiting for the diesel CX-5 since the current generation came out. I was patient for the diesel Mazda6 too...that never came. A couple weeks ago I made a deal on a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Upland. But I told the salesman I was going to sleep on it. The Jeep was awesome looking in the Rhino gray color and drove very nice - I liked the V6. But, I'm back to being patient for the CX-5. I'm going to give it a little longer then I'm getting SOMETHING. I have two Mazdas sitting in my carport right now. I bought them both new and they've been great cars. I may end up with the Jeep...

Back