US Diesel's big splash introduction

One can certainly hope. I believe the NHTSA records indicate it was 174 HP (177ps) if that is indicative of anything.

You ain't even got a diesel and now you gettin' all "I hope we get this one instead of that one from Mazda."

I was hoping to check back and see a miracle, but no. SA-X will invalidate diesel, if THAT ever happens. Gasoline is $0.50 cheaper than diesel currently most places I've drive through here in the South. Get similar economy? Dealkiller for diesel. Toyota is already pulling 600+ mpg out of a tank with the new RAV4, and on cheap gas too (87). Gonna need SA-X to compete.

You ain't even got a diesel and now you gettin' all "I hope we get this one instead of that one from Mazda."

I was hoping to check back and see a miracle, but no. SA-X will invalidate diesel, if THAT ever happens. Gasoline is $0.50 cheaper than diesel currently most places I've drive through here in the South. Get similar economy? Dealkiller for diesel. Toyota is already pulling 600+ mpg out of a tank with the new RAV4, and on cheap gas too (87). Gonna need SA-X to compete.

No offense, You come across as a half glass full negative Nancy with a distain for diesel and a slight tightness of the pants rigidity for Mazda’s SA-X technology . More power to you. Let me hope and ponder, thank you. I did post this in the Diesel forum ...right? For the amount of poo pooing you’ve been doing, kudos to you to be intrigued enough to check back at the posts here.

After VW's debacle, you guys really think a small automaker like Mazda is gonna roll the dice with a diesel? lol

veedub is in the process of paying back 18 billion dollars over their diesels. Meanwhile the German and American governments have a magnifying glass on BMW, Audi, Porsche and Daimler versions of the engine. The French gov. is looking again at Citroen and Peugeot, who are also scrambling. Japan would never try something like that though, right?

18 billion would kill the Mazda brand.

After VW's debacle, you guys really think a small automaker like Mazda is gonna roll the dice with a diesel? lol

veedub is in the process of paying back 18 billion dollars over their diesels. Meanwhile the German and American governments have a magnifying glass on BMW, Audi, Porsche and Daimler versions of the engine. The French gov. is looking again at Citroen and Peugeot, who are also scrambling. Japan would never try something like that though, right?

18 billion would kill the Mazda brand.
Too late now. Mazda has been selling diesels all over the world. It is just the North American market that they are trying to get into and they already got CARB approval last month. If they are not cheating with their diesel engine, then they should be fine.

More than half of all Mazdas are sold in the US.

I think it's one of those too-good-to-be-true deals. Diesels engines have more torque and get better mileage, but are also less powerful, louder and stinkier than a Gasoline engine. If those rules get magically changed somehow, there's most likely something fishy going on.

More than half of all Mazdas are sold in the US.

I think it's one of those too-good-to-be-true deals. Diesels engines have more torque and get better mileage, but are also less powerful, louder and stinkier than a Gasoline engine. If those rules get magically changed somehow, there's most likely something fishy going on.

Our diesel has the same power as the 2.5L NA now.

Nothing fishy going on. See here:

2018 CX-5 changes including diesel

Yes indeed. (thumb) Now with the same power but with 450Nm! of torque and better mileage, I'd seriously consider it if I were to upgrade next. It is also super quiet for a diesel engine.

Indeed :)

No offense, You come across as a half glass full negative Nancy with a distain for diesel and a slight tightness of the pants rigidity for Mazda’s SA-X technology . More power to you. Let me hope and ponder, thank you. I did post this in the Diesel forum ...right? For the amount of poo pooing you’ve been doing, kudos to you to be intrigued enough to check back at the posts here.

Not anti diesel. Anti mazda. They suck at product releases. Only Tesla and Elio are consistently worse. Mazda seems to have failed at getting diesel here while diesel prices made it a smart buy, and soon SA-X...if it ever arrives...will be a smarter buy, thus harming diesel sales.

Last edited:
No offense, You come across as a half glass full negative Nancy with a distain for diesel and a slight tightness of the pants rigidity for Mazdas SA-X technology . More power to you. Let me hope and ponder, thank you. I did post this in the Diesel forum ...right? For the amount of poo pooing youve been doing, kudos to you to be intrigued enough to check back at the posts here.

That's UNOBTANIUM. He bitches and complains ALL THE TIME about Mazda and yet, for some unknown reason, still remains on this site and still owns a Mazda. I don't get it. If I dislike something, I get rid of it and move on. I don't hang around the Honda cites complaining about the CRV.

They have a word to describe those types of people. It's called "trolls"

Back