US Diesel's big splash introduction

So delays due to government regs. Figures.

Anyways probably not long now for it to start appearing in your showrooms

giphy.gif

So delays due to government regs. Figures.

Anyways probably not long now for it to start appearing in your showrooms

giphy.gif

I was at my dealer last week and he said not to expect this. Might show up at end of 2018 as a 2019. I also got the impression they have not bee on their order sheets. Does Mazda NA keep their dealers in that much in the dark?

I was at my dealer last week and he said not to expect this. Might show up at end of 2018 as a 2019. I also got the impression they have not bee on their order sheets. Does Mazda NA keep their dealers in that much in the dark?

Depends on dealers reputation aka if they like to constantly leak details then yes Mazda HQ might not be that forth coming

Few things...1- I'm not saying that its gonna be here next month- its likely still some months away prob as a 19 my arriving 3rd quarter (just a guess)
2- this is a very recent development so as of last week it was still an unknown AND don't forget the EPA still presumably has to give its blessing although I think that's a pretty safe bet if CARB green lighted it.
3- dealers never want people to wait esp when there's no set date or ordering available yet so they have zero incentive to keep you holding on and every incentive to get you buying what they can sell now- that's just business.

Last edited:
Only bad news about this is that I'll have to make a call on the diesel motor or a manual (Mazda 3 or VW GSW). Seriously peeves me that I have to choose between them.

Only bad news about this is that I'll have to make a call on the diesel motor or a manual (Mazda 3 or VW GSW). Seriously peeves me that I have to choose between them.

Anything VW is an easy no for me but honestly I've pretty much hated their manuals on all but the original R32(haven't driven new R) that I really wanted but timing just wasn't right...
You should be happy about choices, not peeved..the 3 and diesel cx5 are going to be pretty far apart in both space, utility and $$ to the point that I can't see it being that tough a decision...

Last edited:
Anything VW is an easy no for me but honestly I've pretty much hated their manuals on all but the original R32(haven't driven new R) that I really wanted but timing just wasn't right...
You should be happy about choices, not peeved..the 3 and diesel cx5 are going to be pretty far apart in both space, utility and $$ to the point that I can't see it being that tough a decision...

But I don't have 'choices'. I have a 3 that could be bigger and have more torque for my needs or a CX5 diesel that i can't get with a manual (and as you point out, will likely cost 1/2 again as much).

Or a VW GSW that (as you somewhat pointed out) doesn't have the same reputation for being reliable but does have the space, manual (and available AWD)...though it could also stand to have a bit more torque as well (yay TDI scandal!).

I'm relatively ok with going the VW GSW route as I'd not be surprised to not keep it much past warranty expiration anyway (and hope I have more/better options in 4'ish years like say an 'Outbacked' 6 wagon from Mazda *crosses fingers and toes*).

If I lived in Europe, I'd have choices.

^^Probably take the impreza sport- pocket the change and call it a day- put remainder toward something fun- used miata/brz or something.

152HP and only a 5 speed...(blarf) Way to design a car for 15 years ago. Not to mention their reliability hasn't been sterling lately either.

WAY rather have the GSW or 3 Sport.

6 speeder now, new one is sooo much better than old one(despite it doesn't look new, it is), you get the awd w/stick saving a grip of cash over that stodgy (imo) gsw. I didn't like the 2.5 6MT 3hatch as much as expected..none of these are truly fun cars even in manual which is why I'm suggesting the Impreza hatch (just go drive it) with $ leftover option...
s*** you're correct Crosstrek in order to get 6MT..that's dumb..ok then Crosstrek:) It too is much better than previous- could use more oomph tho agreed. Eh just get the diesel:)

Last edited:
6 speeder now, new one is sooo much better than old one(despite it doesn't look new, it is), you get the awd w/stick saving a grip of cash over that stodgy (imo) gsw. I didn't like the 2.5 6MT 3hatch as much as expected..none of these are truly fun cars even in manual which is why I'm suggesting the Impreza hatch (just go drive it) with $ leftover option...
s*** you're correct Crosstrek in order to get 6MT..that's dumb..ok then Crosstrek:) It too is much better than previous- could use more oomph tho agreed. Eh just get the diesel:)

Crosstrek is fugly IMO (and still under powered with the same 152HP/145TQ). Rather have the 'stodgy' GSW than the fugly, smaller, weaker Crosstrek.

Rather have the more similar 3 as well (which is pretty fun to drive for a compact hatch IMO). It's probably my likeliest route as I have a feeling there will be good deals since the new model is coming in 2019 if I'm going to go the '$leftover option'.

But I will cross shop the 3, the GSW and the CX5 diesel. As much as I'd LOVE the diesel, I just don't know if I can bring myself to driving an auto tranny. I can't stand them frankly.

I can relate believe me..you can see how few autos I've owned over the years- in fact not until 2 years ago did I not have at least 1 manual and I do miss it..Mazdas auto is really good I 'manually' shift mine all the time- not because its not smart or quick (it is) but because I like the control..that being said in a diesel cx5 at least for even $ I'd almost definitely choose the auto. To me manuals make the most sense in sport/sporty cars and in cars without ample power or esp in the low end..diesel definitely doesn't have that problem!

Last edited:
Back