US Diesel's big splash introduction

I dunno wtf it is. I have a touring 2015, and had galaxy s4, and now a galaxy s8. Both were/are the same. Pairing takes 5 to 15 minutes. It's bulls*** and trash. You have to select pairing multiple times, it tries and fails half a dozen times, then finally gets it's but Pandora doesn't connect, so the car boots the pairing, and you start selecting pairing again. It puts me in a damn rage just typing about it. Maybe because mine uploads phone contacts and stuff and yours doesn't? Maybe I should turn that feature off and use it just for music and not hands free phone.

Hmm...I've had 3 phones in the span of owning my CX-5 and I've only had to ever pair them each a single time to the CX-5. It always refinds them again. It synced contacts a single time, during the initial pairing, so yes mine has those. No idea why you'd keep having to do it again and again.

The only thing that has never worked is when the text message box pops up, I've never gotten it to successfully display one. But I don't care. I don't text while driving.

I do plenty of phone calls through the car while driving too.

All has worked great, minus the texts and USB folders.

They were Motorolas. I am planning on upgrading to the new Samsung soon, so I'll be curious to see how that goes.

Last edited:
Hmm...I've had 3 phones in the span of owning my CX-5 and I've only had to ever pair them each a single time to the CX-5. It always refinds them again. It synced contacts a single time, during the initial pairing, so yes mine has those. No idea why you'd keep having to do it again and again.

The only thing that has never worked is when the text message box pops up, I've never gotten it to successfully display one. But I don't care. I don't text while driving.

I do plenty of phone calls through the car while driving too.

All has worked great, minus the texts and USB folders.

They were Motorolas. I am planning on upgrading to the new Samsung soon, so I'll be curious to see how that goes.

Mine reads texts to me. Not worth the trouble though. Hate the tone of voice it uses, too. If "unenthusiastic handjob" had a voice, this would be it.

Had no issues pairing my Samsung phones (Note 4, Note 7 and then S7 Edge) to the MZD infotainment system.

Trick is to wait for MZD to boot in first before pairing phone. That is don't turn on the phones Bluetooth until MZD is properly on.

It should be noted that if you have more than say 100 contacts, it will take longer to load them and therefore longer for MZD to respond.

Text to voice worked without any issue.

Had no issues pairing my Samsung phones (Note 4, Note 7 and then S7 Edge) to the MZD infotainment system.

Trick is to wait for MZD to boot in first before pairing phone. That is don't turn on the phones Bluetooth until MZD is properly on.

It should be noted that if you have more than say 100 contacts, it will take longer to load them and therefore longer for MZD to respond.

Text to voice worked without any issue.
My car refinds my phone in a matter of seconds. Maybe 30.

Or are you referring to that initial pairing?

My car refinds my phone in a matter of seconds. Maybe 30.

Or are you referring to that initial pairing?
It's pairing the phone just after you switch the vehicle on. Mine pairs and uploads the contacts in about 20 to 30 seconds but that's because I don't have many contacts. I only have the contacts I want and need.

Every time I get in the car it mucks around for 5 to 15 minutes.
There is something wrong with yours. Try my technique. By the way do you have lots of contacts (uhm)

Also can't remember what year your CX-5 is. If it's prior to MZD connect then that infotainment system could be the issue

Last edited:
There is something wrong with yours. Try my technique. By the way do you have lots of contacts (uhm)

Also can't remember what year your CX-5 is. If it's prior to MZD connect then that infotainment system could be the issue

2015. Not sure how many contacts. 100ish?

I have a 2014 GT and my car pairs with my phone in maybe 15-30 seconds at the max.

Not so fast. The reason is the electronic nannies have been tightened up, and cannot be turned off. That's why it feels good to drive but can't perform at the limit like the previous models.

The main thing that bothers me is the extra 10 feet stopping distance. That's pretty noteworthy. Like I said, in a tire test that might be that difference between the lowest and top performer. Pretty big deal.

Braking distance results are determined by tires and road conditions. Either generation of CX-5 is plenty capable of generating the brake pressure to hold the tires at the point of lock-up. Both generations of CX-5s are handicapped on dry pavement by narrow tires. The tradeoff is that the narrow tires are better for fuel economy and traction in snow & mud. They might improve steering quickness too but I'm not sure about that. Also, the stock tires seem to have low grip on dry pavement. Hence the unimpressive numbers on the skidpad and braking tests. When it gets to summer, I'm thinking of going wider. I don't care for the look of the stock 2017 wheels anyway.

It's the small things, started before Gen2 frankly.

I like my gated shifter, I like no big amount of chrome on the front, and no damn chrome under the windows. I like having a real handbrake. And most importantly, Gen2 lacks the Kodo swoop.

^That's my boi right dere!

Only pairing issues are few and far s4 to s7..if my wife gets in before me with hers its annoying to unpair repair and sometimes dicks around for a few minutes.

It's pairing the phone just after you switch the vehicle on. Mine pairs and uploads the contacts in about 20 to 30 seconds but that's because I don't have many contacts. I only have the contacts I want and need.
Huh...you have to upload your contacts everytime? (uhm)

Yes, it pulls them over every time. On my 2017 and wife's CX-3 too.
That must be the Mazda connect system then? Different from mine.

It repairs to the car in 30 seconds or less and already has all the contacts I uploaded when I paired the first time.

Uno, get it checked out, that's not normal.

Yes. You can turn it off in settings. Nice to always have latest contacts synced though.

I need to look for that setting. My wife's takes a few minutes to sync. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT - i had thought that setting for automatically download would mean NO contacts if off. Unchecked and contacts still there. Thanks!

Last edited:
Transmission shenanigans

So youre telling me that youve taken numerous auto transmissions to 200K+ plus and noted that the ones you never dicked around with lasted longer?

Did you do a drain and fill, or did you change the filter as well? Because the filter contains metal shavings that may break free when changing fluid and get stuck in one of the transmissions many intricate passageways causing the hard shifting issues you described. The reason why I say this is because I changed the filter on my BMW as well when I serviced the transmission - Ive driven a good 13K miles so far and the transmission has been doing wonderfully.

So... heres something I agree with you on. If youre going to do just a drain/fill, then yes I 100% agree with you that its simply best to leave the unit alone.

Back