US Diesel's big splash introduction

If by not out you mean not on dealer lots for sale by April...let me ask you this..what are you moving on to?

Might just buy another Bimmer to be honest.
I prefer the idea of a compact diesel CUV but I've been waiting years for it and truthfully as die hard of a Mazda guy as I am, even I can only wait so long.

Which one? Think I'm done with bmwonderful..too much outlay for too little driving joy, and I've gotten atrocious service by 2 different stealers.

At this rate Kia's diesel Sorento mid-size SUV may arrive first. Infiniti will have its 2019 QX50 out before long.

Acura just revealed their 2019 RDX with SH-AWD (torque vectoring), a turbo 4 cylinder promising good low end torque, Apple CarPlay, ventilated 16 way adjustable seats, large panoramic sunroof, 10 speed transmission, and all new infotainment. A really nice upgrade from a Honda CR-V. Guessing ~ $8K - $10K more than a diesel CX-5 GT.

Last edited:
Kia has my attention but maybe for wife..lil big and expensive for my 2 car proposition to pass muster.

We already have Kia Sorento Diesel here. Nothing special IMHO. Besides the Sorento is one full size bigger larger and over here is the CX-9 competitor

You guys need to compare the CX-5 to the Kia Sportage Diesel.

It’s nothing to do with Mazda, it’s your US PR department that needs to wake up.

Possibly... but PR departments are integral with the marketing department’s strategy. So maybe elsewhere, overzealous “media bloggers” instead?

Business doesn’t always go as planned. But I find it glaring that Mazda Corp or NA has posted/hosted a “diesel introduction information” website requesting signup to receive the latest information but as of yet they havent delivered a single communication of that diesel here in the States... corporate silence for 9 months! Head in the sand.

I think Mazda Corp or Mazda NA have huge blame.

We already have Kia Sorento Diesel here. Nothing special IMHO. Besides the Sorento is one full size bigger larger and over here is the CX-9 competitor

You guys need to compare the CX-5 to the Kia Sportage Diesel.

I would like to have the opportunity to. Maybe if the Sorento diesel is successful, they'll also offer the Sportage here. Are the Kia diesels there using DEF fluid?

The Sorento size-wise is in between CX-5 and CX9; a bit smaller than a CX-8 which I got excited about because its within the Goldilocks zone for our use (but its not to be made available to the USA).

Last edited:
Possibly... but PR departments are integral with the marketing department’s strategy. So maybe elsewhere, overzealous “media bloggers” instead?

Business doesn’t always go as planned. But I find it glaring that Mazda Corp or NA has posted/hosted a “diesel introduction information” website requesting signup to receive the latest information but as of yet they havent delivered a single communication of that diesel here in the States... corporate silence for 9 months! Head in the sand.

I think Mazda Corp or Mazda NA have huge blame.

Don't worry, as soon as it is done, they will send an email. Same time as the rest of the world knows :( Until then, absolutely no information.

I signed up for that, and apparently they used my contact info to send me propaganda about the Mazda 6 turbo. That put me over the edge.

I would like to have the opportunity to. Maybe if the Sorento diesel is successful, they'll also offer the Sportage here. Are the Kia diesels there using DEF fluid?

No idea sorry

The Sorento size-wise is in between CX-5 and CX9; a bit smaller than a CX-8 which I got excited about because its within the Goldilocks zone for our use (but its not to be made available to the USA).

You could always import a CX-8 :)

Just when you think you have read all the awful posts on here - I can read mango's post all day long compared to this dross.

Kaps - Mango? Dross? I guess you disapprove of my strong wording? Sorry, I apologize. We’re not all saints but it doesn’t make us devils.

Back to my point. I find it glaring that Mazda Corp or NA has hosted a “diesel introduction information” website soliciting a signup to receive the latest diesel update information but as of yet they havent delivered a single communication of that diesel... corporate silence for 9 months! Head in the sand.

Hope you can extend a bit of goodwill.

Mazda Corp needs to get Mazda NA to fix their communication (lack there of) skills.

With the Detroit motor show now on, perfect opportunity for someone to grill Mazda at their stand!

Is Mazda even at the Detroit auto show this year? They're missing from the floor plan, and the auto show list on the Mazda USA site doesn't mention Detroit at all.

I asked last weekend at the show in Boston. The floor rep. blamed delays on regulators. For an ETA he said "hopefully in the next six months."

Is Mazda even at the Detroit auto show this year? They're missing from the floor plan, and the auto show list on the Mazda USA site doesn't mention Detroit at all.

No idea (uhm)

I asked last weekend at the show in Boston. The floor rep. blamed delays on regulators. For an ETA he said "hopefully in the next six months."

Seems USA emissions regulations coupled with VW dieselgate fall out could be the source/reason for the delays

Diesel resale prices have been hit in EU. Seems it will get taxed higher and the delta will be taken off of resale value. Countries dont work in isolation. Even if EPA relaxes a lot of things - EU and China are moving towards Hybrid and Electric right now. IF you have deep pockets by all means try the new diesel. But in most cases your resale will depend on how the US goes - which is the way of EU and China.

Latest posts

Back