US Diesel's big splash introduction

Maybe a lack of resources due to a lack of commitment. Maybe all the effort to certify a diesel isn't worth it for just one vehicle. It might also be something about the design of this particular engine that makes it very hard to bring some emissions parameter below a certain level. It is rather unique in having a low compression ratio, although that is theorized to result in lower NOx so you'd think it would help. My best guess is that they thought it would be easy, just add urea injection and viola it would pass, and when it turned out to be harder, they weren't committed to investing the additional effort.

You could be right. Why bother. It's not like it's going to massively add extra sales

All the US Mazda fans know is that it is 5 years delayed from the initial announcement. That doesn't instill confidence. Even IF it comes out in the USA. I would wait 2 years before I would feel confident about it and let other people "test" it out and get mileage on it. I don't like being a guinea pig on new designs. Mazda should have numerous test mules driving around in the USA for a year before they release it to the public but I know Mazda will not do that as it costs $$$ and it would delay it for another 1-2 years.

Wouldn't be a new design per se. Engine's been out since 2012/2013

Don't know. Maybe has to do with not enough resources (uhm)

Japanese company trying to get approval in an "America First' political environment? Small company without the $ to sufficiently grease the tracks of an already overburdened EPA to get testing done? EPA simply being a mess given the whole TDI fiasco, Trump attacking them etc?

Who knows? Wouldn't surprise me at all if something like and/or a mix of those scenarios were all part of the puzzle.

All the US Mazda fans know is that it is 5 years delayed from the initial announcement. That doesn't instill confidence. Even IF it comes out in the USA. I would wait 2 years before I would feel confident about it and let other people "test" it out and get mileage on it. I don't like being a guinea pig on new designs. Mazda should have numerous test mules driving around in the USA for a year before they release it to the public but I know Mazda will not do that as it costs $$$ and it would delay it for another 1-2 years.

It's not really a 'new design'. It's been in use in one form or another for quite a few years around the world now. The urea exhaust treatment is relatively new (at least to Mazda, but not in general) but the motor itself is pretty safely established at this point.

And I'm pretty sure they've had test mules running around the US for a good while.

Mazda's last responses to me implied that Mazda itself may not be happy with the design. It was more vague than earlier replies and sounded almost exactly the same as the wording they used when the Mazda 6 was at a similar degree of lateness for introducing the diesel version in the US. I quoted their replay earlier in this thread.

That was the last straw that led me to go ahead and buy a 2018 2.5g model. I can find no evidence that Mazda ever publicly acknowledged that they'd given up on introducing a Mazda 6 in the US. So when they changed their tune to the vague commitment to diesel and removed the reference to 2017 or any other date or time frame, I decided the odds of it coming at all, let alone any time soon, were not good.

I don't have a long history with Mazda, so I could be misinterpreting how they do things, but that's how I saw it.

They may not be any public acknowledgement about giving up on introducing the diesel into the 6 but it's been so long it's pretty much dead and buried.

They're figuring on 10%. What are CX5 sales at per year? Add 10% to that doesn't seem like small potatoes.

Perhaps not small potatoes but at some point the increasing costs of getting approved may have made this venture not worth it in the end.

Perhaps not small potatoes but at some point the increasing costs of getting approved may have made this venture not worth it in the end.

Not that it's not a 'small' cost but most of the $ in car options is in development/manufacturing, not approval. I also don't think the approval costs have 'increased'. If anything, it's now been amortized out (rlaugh)

They are figuring 10%.. (hmm) let's see if that actually happens....

Those figures are WAY OFF. Latest studies and stats show the car diesel sales in the USA are at 3% and dropping. (scratch)

I wish it wasn't but the CX5 diesel will be a disappointment in the USA. That's if it ever comes to the USA.

Just give the CX5 owners a turbo 2.5 gasoline and we will be happy with 310 FT.LBS of torque

Those figures are WAY OFF. Latest studies and stats show the car diesel sales in the USA are at 3% and dropping. (scratch)

I wish it wasn't but the CX5 diesel will be a disappointment in the USA. That's if it ever comes to the USA.

Just give the CX5 owners a turbo 2.5 gasoline and we will be happy with 310 FT.LBS of torque

Even less. So Mazda are thinking is it really worth it (uhm)

Last edited:
How are those figures way off? Just give me 310ft-lbs & 38 not 25mpg hwy then I'll be happy(enguard)

Lbear was saying just give the ppl 310 (with the 2.5T)..which I'm guessing in the CX-5 AWD would land it circa 25hwy (real world) maybe 27 based on CX-9 figures I suppose.

Lbear was saying just give the ppl 310 (with the 2.5T)..which I'm guessing in the CX-5 AWD would land it circa 25hwy (real world) maybe 27 based on CX-9 figures I suppose.

Ahh Ok. Was figuring you were comparing 2.2L diesel hwy to 2.5G hwy.

My bad

Yes it's speculation but seems the regulations could be the issue otherwise would have been available. The rest of the CX-5 is fine. There is no other major changes made other than larger brakes and possibly gearing (don't have the brochure at hand to check the ratio information)

I've been able to get an extract from the brochure re gear ratio for our version:

k4wkzm.jpg

Japanese company trying to get approval in an "America First' political environment? Small company without the $ to sufficiently grease the tracks of an already overburdened EPA to get testing done? EPA simply being a mess given the whole TDI fiasco, Trump attacking them etc?

Who knows? Wouldn't surprise me at all if something like and/or a mix of those scenarios were all part of the puzzle.

Quite possibly

Ahh Ok. Was figuring you were comparing 2.2L diesel hwy to 2.5G hwy.

My bad

No, it is comparing 2.2L to 2.5G hwy.

2.2L diesel might get around 38 MPG and delivers around 310 ft-lbs at low RPM
2.5G gets around 30 MPG and delivers around way less peak torque and at a higher RPM

I'm as disappointed with the diesel CX-5's no-show (and lack of communication from Mazda USA about the no-show) as the next guy, but let's not throw the diesel completely under the bus. In every review of the diesel- vs. gas-engined CX-5 in markets where both are available (e.g., UK, Australia, etc.), I've yet to see a tester not say that they MUCH preferred the diesel. It may not make economic sense for most customers (hard to say since we don't have a price yet) and dealing with DEF is a bit of a pain, but I have no doubt that the diesel, if it ever gets to the USA, will test out to be an overall nicer-driving car.

- Mark

Last edited:
No, it is comparing 2.2L to 2.5G hwy.

2.2L diesel might get around 38 MPG and delivers around 310 ft-lbs at low RPM
2.5G gets around 30 MPG and delivers around way less peak torque and at a higher RPM

OK.

So converting our figures (listed above) to US mpg:

2.2L diesel is 42.77mpg on the highway
2.5L gas is 36.75mpg on the highway

I'm as disappointed with the diesel CX-5's no-show (and lack of communication from Mazda USA about the no-show) as the next guy, but let's not throw the diesel completely under the bus. In every review of the diesel- vs. gas-engined CX-5 in markets where both are available (e.g., UK, Australia, etc.), I've yet to see a tester not say that they MUCH preferred the diesel. It may not make economic sense for most customers (hard to say since we don't have a price yet) and dealing with DEF is a bit of a pain, but I have no doubt that the diesel, if it ever gets to the USA, will test out to be an overall nicer-driving car.

- Mark

Makes economic sense here if one does:

• Lots of freeway driving
  • Towing

That's 3% overall, not 3% of each model that has a diesel engine offering.

3% is more than Mazda's total US market share. If they could even carve off 5% of that 3% diesel market share, that would still be a big boost to Mazda's market share.

3% is also more than the market share for hybrids. And more than for large cars. And convertibles - Mazda makes one of those.

Latest posts

Back