US Diesel's big splash introduction

Call up Mazda hotline - customer relationship, etc. : their tune has changed w.r.t. diesel. Called them Friday and they were intentionally even more vague.
Because they've probably been instructed not to say anything

I feel for you buddy. I know you really want the diesel. Who knows - like you said - if I test drive one: might like it more than gasoline. Let's really hope Mazda delivers.

I do but there's another car really want too that isn't diesel, is available and fantastic and I even got the wife to drive and fully sign off on it this weekend(burnout)..86/BRZ- its no longer a question of if but when. I was thinking I'd add the diesel CX5 prior to this but if that's not an option (before say next spring) plan B is twin first sky-x CX5 later assuming my '14GT is still going strong which I figure it to be- so I'll be ok:)

Last edited:
There's some interesting info in that article from Merc, about how the EPA has made it harder to get certified. Though that begs the question, how are other manufacturers getting their vehicles certified without any issues.

There are two other aspects of the Mercedes decision not mentioned in the article:

First, there are a couple of lawsuits out there claiming that Mercedes has been cheating diesel emissions tests. The suits are based on independent on-road emissions testing that supposedly shows M-B vehicles emitting more NOx than allowed in most driving conditions. "Undisclosed Auxiliary Emission Control Devices" is a euphemism for cheat devices. I think what M-B fears is that some of the emissions control measures they think are legit could be declared as cheats later on, leaving them open to stop-sales, law suits, and buy backs.

Second, Mercedes is resisting wider adoption of biodiesel. They currently accept up to 5% biodiesel (B5) which is readily available in all states except Minnesota. Minnesota started mandating B10 in 2014, and Mercedes stopped selling diesels in Minnesota. Minnesota is moving to B20 this year, after a battle in the federal courts to block it, which the state won. Other states are considering mandating more than B5 as well. If the biodiesel industry gets their way, B20 might become the new standard in a few years. Chevy got ahead of it and started certifying their vehicles to run on B20 last year, but Mercedes doesn't seem to want to. I don't know what they're going to do with their vans, trucks, and heavy equipment engines.

At this point I'd be just about as happy to hear the 2019 will be available with a 2.5 SA-X motor with ~230 HP and lb-ft.

Or the next gen 3 will be available with AWD (with the manual).

At this point I'd be just about as happy to hear the 2019 will be available with a 2.5 SA-X motor with ~230 HP and lb-ft.

Or the next gen 3 will be available with AWD (with the manual).

Shitchyeah!..but make my manual AWD 3 with the 2.5T and turn it up to ~275/325(guitar) ..on regular:)

Last edited:

It confirms what I've said about Mazda's diesel reputation in the UK.
But the comment about diesels being unreliable and expensive to repair compared to petrol is old news, the petrol's at that age are NA engines, so no turbo complexity to go wrong.

That will change in the future as most UK petrol cars being produced now have turbo's .

Its also in the SUN newspaper so probably all made up to start with. As Trump says fake news, and the paper here are full of lies IME.

The headline should have been:
(Some)Diesel cars are THREE times more likely to break down than petrols – and cost more to fix.

The Sun is not really the newspaper in the UK to rely on facts when sensationalism will do.

It's no surprise to see Alfa Romeo heading the list as FIAT (Fix It Again Tomorrow) owns them. The above statement does not apply to all manufacturers. A lot of people also use them for short journeys which is not what they are designed to do as the particle filter clogs up. Sometimes this is not fully explained by the dealer (surprise, surprise) when they buy one and just use it for the school run and local supermarket.

Last edited:
It confirms what I've said about Mazda's diesel reputation in the UK.
But the comment about diesels being unreliable and expensive to repair compared to petrol is old news, the petrol's at that age are NA engines, so no turbo complexity to go wrong.

That will change in the future as most UK petrol cars being produced now have turbo's .

Its also in the SUN newspaper so probably all made up to start with. As Trump says fake news, and the paper here are full of lies IME.

You beat me to it Xtrailman

There are two other aspects of the Mercedes decision not mentioned in the article:

First, there are a couple of lawsuits out there claiming that Mercedes has been cheating diesel emissions tests. The suits are based on independent on-road emissions testing that supposedly shows M-B vehicles emitting more NOx than allowed in most driving conditions. "Undisclosed Auxiliary Emission Control Devices" is a euphemism for cheat devices. I think what M-B fears is that some of the emissions control measures they think are legit could be declared as cheats later on, leaving them open to stop-sales, law suits, and buy backs.

Second, Mercedes is resisting wider adoption of biodiesel. They currently accept up to 5% biodiesel (B5) which is readily available in all states except Minnesota. Minnesota started mandating B10 in 2014, and Mercedes stopped selling diesels in Minnesota. Minnesota is moving to B20 this year, after a battle in the federal courts to block it, which the state won. Other states are considering mandating more than B5 as well. If the biodiesel industry gets their way, B20 might become the new standard in a few years. Chevy got ahead of it and started certifying their vehicles to run on B20 last year, but Mercedes doesn't seem to want to. I don't know what they're going to do with their vans, trucks, and heavy equipment engines.

Thanks for the info!

Shitchyeah!..but make my manual AWD 3 with the 2.5T and turn it up to ~275/325(guitar) ..on regular:)

I could use the slight added room of the CX5 on occasion (and the manufacturer approval for light duty towing) but a ~230HP, AWD 3 hatch with a manual would be far more useful and fun on a daily basis...

As much as I'd truly like to see the 3speed/MPS return better than ever- I still love the idea of a high efficiency compression ignition (gas or diesel) AWD CX-5 alongside a proper analog (preferably atmo or SC) RWD manual sports car- but like saving w/Geico- everyone already knows that:)

Last edited:
As the delays drag on, you have to start to wonder if Mazda is contemplating throwing in the towel on the US CX-5 diesel. If they were confident and close, I'd have to believe they would have said something by now. The business case for the diesel was always marginal and the delays make it more so.

- Mark

As the delays drag on, you have to start to wonder if Mazda is contemplating throwing in the towel on the US CX-5 diesel. If they were confident and close, I'd have to believe they would have said something by now. The business case for the diesel was always marginal and the delays make it more so.

- Mark

This isn't a case where Mazda is contemplating developing a diesel for the US. They already have one. They've made commitments. It will lead to some incremental sales. It will improve their fleet fuel efficiency, which they seem to care about. It will be a better vehicle than the ones they have on offer.

This isn't a case where Mazda is contemplating developing a diesel for the US. They already have one. They've made commitments.

They were "committed" to the USA diesel for the 6 back in 2013 when the diesel was selling in other markets.... it was "almost ready" status for over a year until they finally threw in the towel.

- Mark

Last edited:
They were "committed" to the USA diesel for the 6 back in 2013 when the diesel was selling in other markets.... it was "almost ready" status for over a year until they finally threw in the towel.

- Mark

Because they couldn't meet emission requirements back then

- Mark

Yeah, that was lame. If they can't get it to work the way they planned, and fail to deliver it, that's different than not having a business case for it.

I was a VW diesel owner and just couldn’t wait. I bought the ‘17 in November. The more I read about the unwelcome diesel stance in Europe, the happier I am to own the petrol version.
I’m really enjoying the CX until it’s time to fuel up which is often compared to the TDI (30 city, 42 - 52 highway).
I’m thinking there may be a Skyactive X in my future! Now... that would be great.

Back