US Diesel's big splash introduction

True, unfortunately a lot of cars are close to 70. I found a few cars that were as quiet or even quieter than the CX5.

'17 Mercedes E400 Wagon 67 dB
'17 Volvo V90 Wagon 68 dB
'18 Acura TLX 67 dB
'17 Lexus RX350 67 dB
'18 Audi S5 65 dB
'17 Audi A4 Allroad 66 dB
'17 GMC Acadia 67 dB
'17 BMW 540i 64 dB
'17 Cadillac CTS 66 dB
'17 Mercedes S550 66 dB
'17 Mercedes Maybach S550 63 dB

'17 Mazda 3 72 dB(wow)

Mazda3 at 72.

2017 Mazda CX-5 is between 68-67 dB

CX-5-NVH-graph.jpg

Last edited:
That few decibel difference between the 3 & CX-5 does make a difference.

Even so the X3 is higher up the graph, and I believe the Q5 would be higher still according to reports I've read.

Even so the X3 is higher up the graph, and I believe the Q5 would be higher still according to reports I've read.

You seem to resent the CX-5 doing well? The X3 and the Q5 are a different class of vehicle so Mazda should be congratulated for doing so well.

Why am I resenting the cx-5, just stating facts as usual, the graph looks clear enough to me.
I don't have any complaints with sound levels on my present car, but I am aware that its not premium.

You seem to resent the CX-5 doing well? The X3 and the Q5 are a different class of vehicle so Mazda should be congratulated for doing so well.

IMO all SUV's are over priced compared to ordinary road cars, even those with 4wd.
My problem is looking to replace my car is the lack of kerb weight for towing 1700kg.

For its price, the CX-5 does very well

He is one of these mazda owner/haters. If you look at the graph, it looks to be less than 0.5 db difference. An again, you are comparing a car with a base price of ~$20K to a car with a base price of $40K.

No I don't hate my CX-5, but at the same time I had a few issues with both cars, which is unusual compared to every other jap car I've owned.
My model in the UK is not cheap at around a list of 33K, while I can buy a BMW 3 series or A4 with more power for under 30K. Both available with 4wd, but lacking kerb weight.

He is one of these mazda owner/haters. If you look at the graph, it looks to be less than 0.5 db difference. An again, you are comparing a car with a base price of ~$20K to a car with a base price of $40K.

No I don't hate my CX-5, but at the same time I had a few issues with both cars, which is unusual compared to every other jap car I've owned.
My model in the UK is not cheap at around a list of 33K, while I can buy a BMW 3 series or A4 with more power for under 30K. Both available with 4wd, but lacking kerb weight.

You can't buy an equivalent spec X3 for under 30k xtm, you're not comparing apples with apples.

Some recent bad news from dealer this morning via email response to a Mazda usa online appraisal of my current CX5..I said "please don't call me because I'm waiting for the diesel plus 6-12mo.."
Response from internet sales mgr @Colonial Mazda in Danbury (the most reputable around me- not saying a ton but I do happen to trust them): "Though its listed on Mazda's website it likely won't be available until late next year as a 2018 model." Let's hope she's wrong.. Meanwhile Mazda's kbb driven appraisal tool thinks pretty highly of my loaded 14...13-15k w/71.5k..I know good luck getting the bottom end much less somewhere in the middle but that is excellent cond which I'd say she's at or damn close..so I was pretty happy w/that anyway.

Some recent bad news from dealer this morning via email response to a Mazda usa online appraisal of my current CX5..I said "please don't call me because I'm waiting for the diesel plus 6-12mo.."
Response from internet sales mgr @Colonial Mazda in Danbury (the most reputable around me- not saying a ton but I do happen to trust them): "Though its listed on Mazda's website it likely won't be available until late next year as a 2018 model." Let's hope she's wrong.. Meanwhile Mazda's kbb driven appraisal tool thinks pretty highly of my loaded 14...13-15k w/71.5k..I know good luck getting the bottom end much less somewhere in the middle but that is excellent cond which I'd say she's at or damn close..so I was pretty happy w/that anyway.

While I doubt a salesperson has any idea on this, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Three months ago it was the combustion engine forever, now it's everything electric. AA/Car Play is coming soon (for how many years), wait, we're partnering with Toyota to make our own thing, and Toyota has one of the crappiest infotainment systems in the business with a giant AA/CarPlay chip on their shoulder. I do think we might see HCCI in a 3 relatively soon, and if so, why diesel the CX-5?

Hopefully, you guys can say I was wrong in a few months.

A lot of reviewers have already said Diesel available later this year. If it comes by November - the goodwill stays intact. Anything later than that hurts Mazda.
These buyers will get frustrated and will go towards other options. I really loved the 3 row VW that Alex reviewed except reliability. A sub 24K starting point for a 3 row with good safety tech standard. Man its hard to say no - the 3rd row are emergency seats but its really nice.
With Diesel - not sure what is happening, why announce it so far ahead but not give a definite date - because they themselves are not sure of it. I still think there are hurdles and Diesel might get pushed to 2018 or worse - 2nd half of 2018.

I'd like some inkling as to what the holdup is.

IMO all SUV's are over priced compared to ordinary road cars, even those with 4wd.
My problem is looking to replace my car is the lack of kerb weight for towing 1700kg.
Try having all vehicles being overpriced like they are here due to our taxes

A lot of reviewers have already said Diesel available later this year. If it comes by November - the goodwill stays intact. Anything later than that hurts Mazda.
These buyers will get frustrated and will go towards other options. I really loved the 3 row VW that Alex reviewed except reliability. A sub 24K starting point for a 3 row with good safety tech standard. Man its hard to say no - the 3rd row are emergency seats but its really nice.
With Diesel - not sure what is happening, why announce it so far ahead but not give a definite date - because they themselves are not sure of it. I still think there are hurdles and Diesel might get pushed to 2018 or worse - 2nd half of 2018.

We've been hearing fall 'media introduction/launch' (late October was the guess if I recall) and likely available at dealers starting Dec 2017-Jan 2018 as 2018 models for months and months.

Not sure why you guys thinks that's 'changed' or a 'hold up'?

I'm 99.8% sure its still pending final EPA approval or at least that's last I heard..they were pretty confident it wouldn't be an issue but with all the recent stink about emissions and the global jihad on diesel and everything non-electric or hybrid generally maybe its just on the slow track or maybe we're screwed and left with a long wait for the sky-x. Maybe the recent sky-x pub was their response in efforts to nudge the epa to green light the diesel at least until sky-x is ready or maybe sky-x is their pre-apology of sorts for getting our diesel hopes up to no avail again. Sucks- but only time will tell..

I think its 'changed' because that's what my and other US dealers have said to others here recently I sure hope they're full of crap or simply underinformed but I'm starting to fear they're not.

Last edited:
Back