US Diesel's big splash introduction

^^100% agreed..Jedi..I think we're almost there buddy!

giphy.gif

I can relate believe me..you can see how few autos I've owned over the years- in fact not until 2 years ago did I not have at least 1 manual and I do miss it..Mazdas auto is really good I 'manually' shift mine all the time- not because its not smart or quick (it is) but because I like the control..that being said in a diesel cx5 at least for even $ I'd almost definitely choose the auto. To me manuals make the most sense in sport/sporty cars and in cars without ample power or esp in the low end..diesel definitely doesn't have that problem!

Yes, I use the manual mode all the time as well. It is not a manual in any way but I like how well Mazda implemented it. Has a very natural feeling, which is different than other cars I have driven.

Hey guys, I will not be complaining about Mazda's failure to update information on the CX-5 diesel any more. Some of you know that I started to look for alternatives a little while ago. My VW TDI has a little too much mileage to put it off any longer.

I wanted to replace my diesel with another diesel and that is why I was interested in Mazda. It sounds like this is a great model in other markets and has been around for a while. Mazda has been advertising this for North America as a 2017 model if not earlier. I eliminated the new GM Equinox, Terrain and Cruze. I liked the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jaguar by looks but not by reputation.

Anyways I looked and test drove some BMW X3 28d models and was impressed by them. After more research I found one far from home (1000 km /600 mi) away and did a deal. It's a pretty much loaded 2016 with 2 years more warranty. I just got home from the drive and am really impressed. I was driving a little faster than I normally go but still averaged 38 miles to the gallon. BMW has the usual dizzying array of tricks and gimmicks that will take me a while to learn.

I see that CARB has now approved some Mazda models but still no word official or otherwise from the corporation or the EPA. Mazda can say or do anything it wants to, that is their choice. Now I have made my choice too and hope it works out OK for the next few years.

geodug, congrats on the X3.
I have an X3 now which like your TDI is getting way up there in miles so I was hoping to get into a CX-5 Diesel but like you might need to consider other options as this is taking far too long to come to market.

mind if I ask what an X3 diesel goes for up North?

so back to the CARB certification news.
That's great for being able to sell in California but do we know if Mazda ever received EPA certification? I wonder if / when we'll see that.

geodug, congrats on the X3.
I have an X3 now which like your TDI is getting way up there in miles so I was hoping to get into a CX-5 Diesel but like you might need to consider other options as this is taking far too long to come to market.

mind if I ask what an X3 diesel goes for up North?

Hi Jedi (first time I have been chatting with a Jedi)

In Canada 2016 BMW X3 28d vehicles are priced in the $38,000 range. That is in the neighborhood of $30,000 US.

I just discovered mine has BMW ConnectedDrive which looks like it has its own cell phone in the car for traffic updates (really works great), making sure your car is locked when you are in bed and finding your car in a parking lot.

From what I understand from scuttlebutt about this from people that are in the know about this process, The EPA in most cases will rubber stamp vehicles after a pass in CARBs certification process.

Crosstrek is fugly IMO (and still under powered with the same 152HP/145TQ). Rather have the 'stodgy' GSW than the fugly, smaller, weaker Crosstrek.

Rather have the more similar 3 as well (which is pretty fun to drive for a compact hatch IMO). It's probably my likeliest route as I have a feeling there will be good deals since the new model is coming in 2019 if I'm going to go the '$leftover option'.

But I will cross shop the 3, the GSW and the CX5 diesel. As much as I'd LOVE the diesel, I just don't know if I can bring myself to driving an auto tranny. I can't stand them frankly.

Drove the new turbo 6GT and 3GT stick back to back..shocked me but I actually preferred the 3..maybe the one I drove awhile back was auto..but I really did enjoy driving the 3GT..and am hereby strongly considering it- they're expecting redesign in the fall for MY19 btw so that's an added bonus..says he's expecting awd option to likely be part of the mix.. But yeah if you want some space, nice feature set and a (nice shifting) manual shift car for ~25k US its pretty tough to beat right now I must say...twins sure but they're a different animal and more money and don't hold value at all, cramped. I do need to circle back to the WRX as they've done some tweaks but its just a bit too crude for me.

No diesel update other than likely this calendar year (his guess)

Last edited:
Since last year you guys got the update (cylinder deactivation, tweaks to equipment levels) in November/December, it is possible that the diesel might arrive around the same time this year

I thought our 18s with those updates was a bit later than that but I'd agree that don't bet on seeing a diesel on a lot for MY18..I think it will happen as the 19s are rolled in.. when that is who knows with Mazda they've been all over the map with that kind of thing but I think (maybe based on this) that 19s show up before the 18s did..17s were spring of 17 if I recall..so even that was a short model year.

I thought our 18s with those updates was a bit later than that but I'd agree that don't bet on seeing a diesel on a lot for MY18..I think it will happen as the 19s are rolled in.. when that is who knows with Mazda they've been all over the map with that kind of thing but I think (maybe based on this) that 19s show up before the 18s did..17s were spring of 17 if I recall..so even that was a short model year.
Was announced last year at the same time as the 2018 Mazda 6 update

Honestly X I really don't care when it comes but I'm just so ******* stoked that it appears to be very NOT dead and very likely to coming to a dealer near me when I was starting to lose hope!!(mj)

Last edited:
Drove the new turbo 6GT and 3GT stick back to back..shocked me but I actually preferred the 3..maybe the one I drove awhile back was auto..but I really did enjoy driving the 3GT..and am hereby strongly considering it- they're expecting redesign in the fall for MY19 btw so that's an added bonus..says he's expecting awd option to likely be part of the mix.. But yeah if you want some space, nice feature set and a (nice shifting) manual shift car for ~25k US its pretty tough to beat right now I must say...twins sure but they're a different animal and more money and don't hold value at all, cramped. I do need to circle back to the WRX as they've done some tweaks but its just a bit too crude for me.

No diesel update other than likely this calendar year (his guess)

Twins?

Another 'update':

https://www.tflcar.com/2018/04/mazda-cx-5-diesel-coming-soon/

IS THE MAZDA CX-5 DIESEL COMING SOON? CARB CERTIFIES 2.2-LITER SKYACTIV-D ENGINE

IT’S BEEN YEARS SINCE MAZDA HAS PROMISED THEIR 2.2-LITER SKYACTIV DIESEL’S ENTRY TO THE U.S. MARKET. NOW, IT LOOKS LIKE THERE’S SOME PROGRESS TOWARD GETTING IT TO MARKET THIS YEAR.

Diesel engines have been on shaky ground these past few years. From emissions cheating scandals to increasing electrification, diesels are becoming a rare sight, at least in light duty cars. Some manufacturers, however, are still introducing diesel options with their newest models. Hyundai, for instance, announced a 2.2-liter turbodiesel in their 2019 Santa Fe, forgoing the old 3.3-liter gasoline V6 in the process. Now, Mazda’s own 2.2-liter SkyActiv turbodiesel, available in global markets, but not the U.S., has been years in the making. Mazda originally slated a diesel version of its CX-5 crossover to go on sale last fall as a 2018 model. The 2.5-liter, four-cylinder gasoline version hit the market in that timeframe, but the diesel? It never surfaced, and there’s been no specific mention of when it will come to market.

Now though, it looks like there’s been some progress. The California Air Resources Board (CARB) recently certified Mazda’s diesel engine, according to documents recently posted on their website. Specifically, it lists “Mazda Motor Corporation” as the certified party for a 2018 model diesel vehicle. Further down, on the last page of the document, it lists “2018 Mazda CX-5” – both 2WD and 4WD versions – as the certified vehicles.

For those still seeking a diesel option for greater fuel efficiency, the SkyActiv Diesel, when it does arrive, shouldn’t disappoint. Barring changes from the global version to suit our emissions regulations, the diesel CX-5 may crest 40 MPG. In its current form, the global market 2.2-liter SkyActiv-D engine makes 175 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque. We’d expect a new version of this engine to have the same or slightly more power when it reaches our shores.

Whether the CX-5, Mazda’s current volume seller, will benefit from a diesel under the hood, remains to be seen. German manufacturers have largely walked away from diesels in the U.S. in the wake of recent scandals, lower gas prices and less interest in fuel economy. Mazda has not officially announced an on sale date for the CX-5 diesel, so stay tuned to TFLcar.com for more updates!

Last edited:
Back