US Diesel's big splash introduction

Technicalities aside I think even if they can pass the regulations I think they will still have to face the supply issue. We still have a long line here in this part of the globe.

I think its an issue in most countries

Just a bit of an update on my diesel. At the beginning of this thread I had the 2016.5 model which diluted the oil badly. By the time I’d reached the 5000 Miles that my new 2017 model has done I would have needed to change the oil through both reaching the third “oil fully diluted” mark on the dipstick and also “oil viscosity low” warnings on the dash. This new one that has the same basic engine that you guys will get is a different kettle of fish. The oil has not moved at all which is an incredible achievement. The regenerations are extended from every 100 miles to every 300 miles and last much shorter periods of time. In fact, I very often don’t realise they have taken place. The last car was noisy during regen but I am only made aware it’s part way through on this one if the istop doesn’t work. Mainly because the car is so quiet that I can’t hear what’s going on. Fuel consumption is 5-10 mpg better than the last one.

The way a small diesel drives is different than a petrol so it will take a bit of getting used to but I think you guys would enjoy the experience now they’ve got to grips with its shortcomings. It’s a very good car.

The improvements they have made seem to have made a world of difference

That's good to know.
shame its only took 4 years to sort it.

Having said that not everyone has had oil rise with the old model.
I don't hold much hope that the garage will do a thing to help my oil rise at next service due soon, but I will certainly ask.

Just a bit of an update on my diesel. At the beginning of this thread I had the 2016.5 model which diluted the oil badly. By the time Id reached the 5000 Miles that my new 2017 model has done I would have needed to change the oil through both reaching the third oil fully diluted mark on the dipstick and also oil viscosity low warnings on the dash. This new one that has the same basic engine that you guys will get is a different kettle of fish. The oil has not moved at all which is an incredible achievement. The regenerations are extended from every 100 miles to every 300 miles and last much shorter periods of time. In fact, I very often dont realise they have taken place. The last car was noisy during regen but I am only made aware its part way through on this one if the istop doesnt work. Mainly because the car is so quiet that I cant hear whats going on. Fuel consumption is 5-10 mpg better than the last one.

The way a small diesel drives is different than a petrol so it will take a bit of getting used to but I think you guys would enjoy the experience now theyve got to grips with its shortcomings. Its a very good car.

Haha but 'big' not really synonymous with steady stream or going regularly! Wait for it unob its gonna be yuge!
For like a year until sky-x breaks in which is gonna be crazy yuge!!

Last edited:
That's good to know.
shame its only took 4 years to sort it.

Having said that not everyone has had oil rise with the old model.
I don't hold much hope that the garage will do a thing to help my oil rise at next service due soon, but I will certainly ask.

Have you considered an oil catch can?

Haha but 'big' not really synonymous with steady stream or going regularly! Wait for it unob its gonna be yuge!

...but you're not sure when, or how, or even if...no real plan or anything, but YUGE!!!!

Try 2020-2022 for SkyActiv X on a CX-5

I (maybe for one) haven't lost hope here..encouraged by the fact that its still there on future vehicles section on mazdausa.com and also the fact that its listed prominently right up top with the new 6 under it. I'm not saying we'll see it before the new 6 but I think it proves they clearly haven't given up on it either...fwiw.

Europe has stringent pollution regulations yet it's there.

Think USA regulators are "playing interference"

The US has tighter limits on NOx and particulates, while the EU has tighter limits on CO and slightly tighter limits on CO2.

Anyway, other manufacturers have introduced new diesel models here while Mazda hasn't, so I can't blame the regulators for picking on Mazda.

The US has tighter limits on NOx and particulates, while the EU has tighter limits on CO and slightly tighter limits on CO2.

Anyway, other manufacturers have introduced new diesel models here while Mazda hasn't, so I can't blame the regulators for picking on Mazda.

True but other companies are larger therefore have more resources to deal with government requirements

Well, Jaguar Land Rover got some diesel vehicles through the certification process here recently, and they are no bigger than Mazda. If you look at the US market alone, Mazda are much bigger.
My theory is that Skyactiv-D just isn't as clean as Mazda would like us to think it is.

Well, Jaguar Land Rover got some diesel vehicles through the certification process here recently, and they are no bigger than Mazda. If you look at the US market alone, Mazda are much bigger.
My theory is that Skyactiv-D just isn't as clean as Mazda would like us to think it is.

Jaguar/Landrover are bigger due to their parent company Tata

At any rate, could also be Mazda NO is just not stepping up to the plate

Could be. I'm just getting frustrated because I need a car now (literally) and this is the one I've been waiting for.

Back