US Diesel's big splash introduction

I had a dealer rep recently email me that the diesel into to US has been delayed, giving no new timeline. Has anyone heard anything definitive?

I really want to upgrade my 2015 CX-5, and while the 2017 is a lot better, the mpg from a diesel, or HCCI, would be the trigger-puller. But, this is what I feared would happen. So, like AA/Car Play, it's just right around the corner, someday, one of these days....

I really want to upgrade my 2015 CX-5, and while the 2017 is a lot better, the mpg from a diesel, or HCCI, would be the trigger-puller. But, this is what I feared would happen. So, like AA/Car Play, it's just right around the corner, someday, one of these days....

Has this been verified. I always thought it was going to be October/November anyway, which is still 2-3 months away.

Has this been verified. I always thought it was going to be October/November anyway, which is still 2-3 months away.

I'm just cynical on Mazda in this respect. I don't know anything more than what the guy said, so we should be taken with several grains of salt. And he's got something he heard from a dealer who probably barely knows more about the diesels arrival date than he does about particle physics

no official word from Mazda on the diesel delayed so I wouldn't worry. Besides, the last person in the world I'd trust is a Mazda dealer rep, they'll tell you anything to get you to buy what's on the floor as opposed to waiting for a different vehicle.

Mazda's timeline has been, "Fall of 2017" Fall doesn't even start for another month and even then we're in for a few more months of it.
I expect late november we might see the car.

If we're sitting around Christmas time, then I'd start to worry.

You can order a Skyactiv-D badge from eBay. I believe its about 10 bucks.
Working on "This car has AA/Carplay" badge - probably sell it for 15 bucks.
Dont worry - V6 / Hybrid badges will come too.
HCCI will take more time - that badge needs to be lighter so as not to affect mpg.

You can order a Skyactiv-D badge from eBay. I believe its about 10 bucks.
Working on "This car has AA/Carplay" badge - probably sell it for 15 bucks.
Dont worry - V6 / Hybrid badges will come too.
HCCI will take more time - that badge needs to be lighter so as not to affect mpg.

When will the "Powered by CVT" badges arrive?

we should have some fun with this.

over/under on release date and mpg

• Nov 1st
  • 39 mpg highway

I'm taking over and over

• Nov 1st
  • 39 mpg highway

I'm taking over and over

A real 39mpg highway would be nice! It would make the puny gas-tank perform reasonably on road-trips, and coupled with the very quiet interior of the 2017 (per numbers, I've not experienced it), and HOPEFULLY a much beefier drivetrain than the gas-burner, it would potentially make that a real "keeper" of a vehicle. A certified one might get my attention in another 2-3 years!

For comparison, Jeep Grand Cherokee owners are getting a real world 30+ mpg at real highway speeds with the 3.0 EcoDiesel motor. If a 5000# SUV with a V6 can do it, I would be ASHAMED if a 3500# I4 couldn't better it by a measly 9mpg...

The more I think about it, the more I consider it, considering how I believe Diesels hold up longer in the long-term. I've re-thought a few things there, and it sure depends on what all Mazda does to the rest of the driveline, but maybe it would save me money long-term? It would also be nice not to have a buzzy little turd that dies above 75mph in the mpg department for road-trips.

Once these begin coming available in GT trim for mid/low 20's, I'm going to have to try hard to resist.

Last edited:

• Nov 1st
  • 39 mpg highway

I'm taking over and over

I've looked at reviews from other countries, notably Australia, and it looks like it's going to be less than that, maybe a lot less, but it's really hard to nail down. I think I saw over 40 mpg on a 6. It seems to be rated in the low 30's, but real world it looks like it could be under 30. Even a 20% increase really only ties a RAV4 although it is, and would be with the diesel, a much better vehicle.

The other thing I've read is that it's "quieter"?

You didn't spec driveline..easy under for awd, very close fwd but ill say 38 rating real world 40 sb obtainable;)
Over for timeline..hopefully not waaaay over!

Last edited:
I've looked at reviews from other countries, notably Australia, and it looks like it's going to be less than that, maybe a lot less, but it's really hard to nail down. I think I saw over 40 mpg on a 6. It seems to be rated in the low 30's, but real world it looks like it could be under 30. Even a 20% increase really only ties a RAV4 although it is, and would be with the diesel, a much better vehicle.

Surely that can't be right, at least at highway speeds where the diesel should thrive. I'm getting real-world 30 MPG with my 2.5 FWD on the interstate averaging 75 MPH. I know that I'm getting at least 3 MPG better at highway speeds than my 2014. I believe the lower overall height along with other improvements are really helping at highway speeds.

AERODYNAMICS

"Mazda's aerodynamic 'ground line' concept aims to streamline air flow along the underbody, and establish a balance between the flow of air over and beneath the body as it converges at the rear of the vehicle.
To this end, the front grille employs duct shaped opening, and strategically positioned aerodynamic parts have been added. An active air shutter keeps the lower front grille closed whenever possible.
As a result of these measures, the all-new CX-5's drag coefficient has been lowered by some 6% over that of the current model."

Pretty confident if the skyactiv tranny behavior is same - give me a 2017 and I will hit 33-35 on the highway. Its lower to the ground and sleeker. The 90lbs dont really matter unless you do a lot of stop and start. LED everything is going to be good on economy as well.

According to this web site: http://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/release/2016/201612/161215a.html
The Japanese version of the 2017 2.2td gets 23% better mileage than the 2.5 gas engine.

That is great - the Diesel is really going to shine for speeds from 40-70. Wonderful torque and just try to hug the 6th gear for life.

Yes the diesel motor is quieter than before because it's received balancer shaft piston treatment to reduce compression vibration, while a Natural Sound Smoother and the Natural Sound Frequency Control have been designed to cancel out sound waves by providing an alternate sound wave.

Back