US Diesel's big splash introduction

I find it frustrating that I don't have a clear upgrade path within Mazda for something bigger than a 3 Sport that I can get with a manual (not that I have many options elsewhere either save the GSW noted above).

But I'm pretty much a poster boy for their core demographic. Yeah, they have to appeal to the masses etc, I get that. But ignoring that your core demographic might just start families, own a dog and perhaps need to own something larger than a Miata or 3 Sport AND STILL LIKE TO DRIVE seems an odd choice to make for a company apparently struggling to retain/have repeat customers.

Maybe stop ignoring your core demographic? THOSE are the people that become 'customers for life' and encourage their friends and family to buy Mazda's etc.

[/rant off]
This is very true and has been a problem for Mazda owners for a few years now. There is no upgrade path from Mazda3, Mazda6 or CX-5. Well the Mazda6 has one now, with the upcoming Signature trim, but it is still FWD and doesn't look like it will get a LSD, so boo.

Mazda either needs to make the CX-5 diesel available now or drop it altogether and work on getting the 2.5T into a Signature Trim CX-5.

Mazda either needs to make the CX-5 diesel available now or drop it altogether and work on getting the 2.5T into a Signature Trim CX-5.

2.5T CX-5 depends on Mazda Japan HQ themselves and their own market first and foremost. They already have the 2.5 NA CX-5, 2.2D CX-5 as well as 2.2D CX-8.

If the current version CX-5 (not to mention CX-8) is selling well there, then they might not have the justification for another engine to be added and all the expense that entails for it to become a reality.

This is very true and has been a problem for Mazda owners for a few years now. There is no upgrade path from Mazda3, Mazda6 or CX-5. Well the Mazda6 has one now, with the upcoming Signature trim, but it is still FWD and doesn't look like it will get a LSD, so boo.

Well if you want something bigger than a CX5, you've got the CX9 (and possibly more variants coming). Same as you can step up to a CX5 if you're coming from the CX3.

If you're coming from a 3 sedan, you've got the 6. But what does the buyer who has a 3 Sport move up to (in North America anyway)? They don't offer a wagon or hatch version of the 6 here. None of the CUV's come with manuals (short of the base 2.0L in Canada which already struggles in the lower, lighter 3 and forces you to compromise on features). And CUV's will always be compromised in height/handling/weight etc vs a car.

FWIW, it sounds like Mazda is exploring having AWD available in both the next gen 3 and 6 in their aim to move upmarket, so that's good.

Now I don't blame Mazda as a smaller company form producing another larger (than the 6) car model, especially given the shrinking car market but the 3 is their second best selling vehicle even nearing EOL and those buyers who get manual hatch's have nowhere to go when their needs grow.

They're a niche car maker who appeal largely to enthusiasts, you'd think they'd have better luck retaining those customers if they gave them upgrade paths for different/growing needs. I actually think the concept of the CX6 posted elsewhere would be a boon to them in this regard and give them a solid competitor for all the Subaru, VW, Audi, TourX etc mainstream buyers while also appealing to their enthusiast core.

I don't think Mazda should bother with AWD in their 3 or 6 myself, the sales would be low and there is little demand for a low riding AWD.

The weight and performance penalty along with cost would restrict sales.

Audi for example used to give the AWD Avant models more power to compensate for the power losses.

I don't think Mazda should bother with AWD in their 3 or 6 myself, the sales would be low and there is little demand for a low riding AWD.

The weight and performance penalty along with cost would restrict sales.

Audi for example used to give the AWD Avant models more power to compensate for the power losses.

Mazda already offers the 6 stationwagon with AWD in Europe. We can buy the 2.2 diesel 150hp with manual transmission and the 2.2 diesel 175hp with automatic transmission both with AWD.
If only they would offer the 2.5-G with AWD as well....

Mazda don't offer a AWD 6 in the UK, or the 2.5 petrol.

Neither one would sell well.

I have to think that Mazda would really like the diesel selling in North America. No doubt they understand many of those VW buybacks have replaced their vehicles already and some are delaying as long as possible to get something like the CX-5 diesel. I am one of those and just can't bring myself to buying an Equinox or
Terrain as they are much cheaper looking with questionable quality. The longer they delay the more potential customers that will leap elsewhere.

Where I do fault Mazda is their terrible PR department. They should have posted regular updates on the status of this model to keep customers' aware and interest in the company. I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on something so we will see what we will see.

Completely agree. I had an Audi TDI that I recently sold back. I waited over a year to sell it back waiting and waiting for the CX-5 diesel that never materialized. I ultimately decided I needed to take action as there were several maintenance issues with the Audi that I didn't care to fix in order to keep driving it. I purchased a 2015 BMW diesel wagon. Great car with fantastic mileage, but obviously not as much room as the Mazda. I feel really let down my Mazda, and I do think they've lost a lot of VW/Audi customers (there are over 500,000 of us in the US). I too drove the Equinox, which despite it's fantastic tech features (wireless phone charging, CarPlay, etc) was woefully underpowered.

Last week I received the following email from my local Mazda dealer, who knew I was waiting for the diesel: "I have some updated info on the CX-5 diesel. Unfortunately Mazda will not be bringing the diesel engine to the United States market, however our gas engine still produce enough power and performance for everyday use." Not sure if this is true or if he's just trying to sell me a gasoline car, but it reinforced the decision to go with the BMW the week prior.

Some pretty crazy 1st posts here in 2 days..I'm trying to stay calm, but would you mind telling us the dealer who divulged that information?

New member here...

I was looking at the mazda miata forum at miata.net and I saw the link below regarding start of production dates for the 2019 mazda miata:

https://www.donlen.com/buildstart-mazda.html

https://www.donlen.com/buildstart-mazda.html

not sure how accurate this is...but the link indicates the start of production for the 2018 CX-5 diesel is March 2018 and the 2019 CX-5 diesel is October 2018....here is hope.

Also says dates are subject to change, and order taking would commence last month. Who's placed their order?

Lots of scuttlebutt here on the diesel thread. Until we have the official word direct from Mazda it’s all speculation.

If Mazda never did announce they would not bring the Mazda6 diesel to North America do you really have confidence they would make any announcement on the promised CX-5?

Didn't mean to stir the pot. Long time lurker. I literally spent like 30 minutes every week for the last year scouring the web for info about the CX-5 diesel release. A terribly frustrating experience - thought others might be interested in the info from the dealer. Like I said, not sure if it's true or if he just wants to sell me a vehicle.

Didn't mean to stir the pot. Long time lurker. I literally spent like 30 minutes every week for the last year scouring the web for info about the CX-5 diesel release. A terribly frustrating experience - thought others might be interested in the info from the dealer. Like I said, not sure if it's true or if he just wants to sell me a vehicle.

No that's fine any info is appreciated even if its not what I want to hear! I asked Mazda NA to validate Southern States Mazda's claim that it wasn't coming...calmly, breathe dog, breathe. I'll let you know what they have to say...just hoping for something other than complete BS.

No that's fine any info is appreciated even if its not what I want to hear! I asked Mazda NA to validate Southern States Mazda's claim that it wasn't coming...calmly, breathe dog, breathe. I'll let you know what they have to say...just hoping for something other than complete BS.

'Mazda remains committed to..."

^^They'd be better off saying nothing..I'll call them if I get that BS(just to hear it again!!)

^^They'd be better off saying nothing..I'll call them if I get that BS(just to hear it again!!)

Not sure what you'd expect them to do/say differently. All indications point to them waiting for EPA approval, until they get it, there's nothing new for them to tell you.

I get it, it's disappointing. But I'm not sure what else you want Mazda to do until they have something else to tell you.

Latest posts

Back