US Diesel's big splash introduction

Anything to get this thread to 3000 comments. [emoji1303]

Its coming up on its anniversary too..don't think we'll get to 3k by then but maybe 200k views:)

But..nice find thanks for posting that- that's the first I heard about the oil burner (possibly) coming in the 6..in years anyway!

If I am not mistaken, one of the publications menitoned that it might also now come to the 6 there as well (uhm)

the Mazda 6 article is exciting because it speaks to Mazda as a whole continuing to push back and defying conventional wisdom. At Mazda's core they're a die hard group of dedicated engineers who just view problem solving differently.
they know they can get a diesel to work efficiently, they've been doing it for some time but now it's nice to see the leaders at the top (who control the $$) letting them pursue that.

I'm hoping we do see Diesels in the US in the near future. Yes, we can argue all day that SkyActiv-X will destroy the Diesel's benefits but that's assuming the X goes off without a hitch and you forget how crazy loyal some diesel fans are. Yes, they're a small percentage of the car buying population but they have money and with fewer passenger cars offered in diesel these days, Mazda can potentially capture portion of them by doubling down and having the 2.2D in the CX-5 and the Mazda 6.

the Mazda 6 article is exciting because it speaks to Mazda as a whole continuing to push back and defying conventional wisdom. At Mazda's core they're a die hard group of dedicated engineers who just view problem solving differently.
they know they can get a diesel to work efficiently, they've been doing it for some time but now it's nice to see the leaders at the top (who control the $$) letting them pursue that.

I'm hoping we do see Diesels in the US in the near future. Yes, we can argue all day that SkyActiv-X will destroy the Diesel's benefits but that's assuming the X goes off without a hitch and you forget how crazy loyal some diesel fans are. Yes, they're a small percentage of the car buying population but they have money and with fewer passenger cars offered in diesel these days, Mazda can potentially capture portion of them by doubling down and having the 2.2D in the CX-5 and the Mazda 6.

Good points. If you ever watched any reviews where Mazda engineer Dave Coleman is talking, you pick up on the car guy passion- like - attentiveness they give to their cars. As you said they are are certainly out-of-the-box thinkers.

and you forget how crazy loyal some diesel fans are. Yes, they're a small percentage of the car buying population but they have money and with fewer passenger cars offered in diesel these days, Mazda can potentially capture portion of them by doubling down and having the 2.2D in the CX-5 and the Mazda 6.

I think people HIGHLY discount that factor. VW did VERY well buy catering to that 'small' niche for years.

A small 'niche' company like Mazda would do well catering to that demographic and scooping up a nice sized slice of that now largely unclaimed pie. To a ~2% of the market company, even getting roughly a 1/4 of that 'small car diesel' demographic (conservatively IMO) would be a HUGE boost in sales for them.

It makes far less sense for a larger company like Toyota to do that as it would be a blip in their overall sales they could probably achieve far easier and cheaper by simply having a sale or adding a free, already available, not requiring EPA/CARB certification upgrade etc.

I'm no auto exec but IMO that could be their smartest plan of attack for growth. They've got the more mainstream covered with an excellent lineup of CUVs to largely pay the bills and bring the mainstream folks in to the dealerships (along with a solid and soon to be redone compact in the 3...and to a lesser extent the mid size 6). By all means continue to evolve and expand on those to keep on trucking

But beyond that, embrace being a niche manufacturer. Be the scalpel, not the axe and attack all the little unclaimed little pockets of niche enthusiasts, diesel aficionados as a solid route for growth.

They do also need to work on their advertising and from what I've read on here, better structuring their dealerships for a more unified (and better/more positive) dealership experience.

Remember according to that Mazda timeline, there is a SkyActiv D Gen 2 in the pipeline circa 2019 onwards. So SkyActiv-X & SkyActiv D Gen 2 will be online

They aren't going to get SAD 2.0 out. They haven't even finished putting v1.0 out.

It doesn't mean they aren't in development phase now for eventual release.

They might put out Gen 2 for the rest of the world as bulk have Gen 1 since 2012/2013. You guys might get Gen 2 later.

Last edited:
Mazda , the CX-5 and 6 were mentioned here. It’s worth noting that the Detroit Auto news is pretty conservative with their reporting and tend to steer away from rumors. In other words, if they are mentioning the two models, it must mean they have some solid info on them.

Diesel's last gasp? Don't believe it

https://detne.ws/2x6ODAe

Mazda , the CX-5 and 6 were mentioned here. It’s worth noting that the Detroit Auto news is pretty conservative with their reporting and tend to steer away from rumors. In other words, if they are mentioning the two models, it must mean they have some solid info on them.

Diesel's last gasp? Don't believe it

https://detne.ws/2x6ODAe

I certainly don't think diesels are on the way out, and I really like what Mazda is doing with theirs. It's just very uninspiring when a large company (this isn't Ed's Hardware store...) absolutely falls on its face with delivery.

I certainly don't think diesels are on the way out, and I really like what Mazda is doing with theirs. It's just very uninspiring when a large company (this isn't Ed's Hardware store...) absolutely falls on its face with delivery.

Can’t disagree with that.

OK. Mazda might be a large company compared to other non car makers but within the car industry, they are not considered as large. That mantle belongs to Toyota, VW, GM, Ford and the like.

Mazda seem to deliver pretty well but as always could do better.

OK. Mazda might be a large company compared to other non car makers but within the car industry, they are not considered as large. That mantle belongs to Toyota, VW, GM, Ford and the like.

Mazda seem to deliver pretty well but as always could do better.
Re: diesel in NA.

I think really what people are wanting are some form of actual communication on what's going on with diesel. As it is, no communication has led to widespread speculation and negative feeling by the diesel folks towards Mazda which doesn't do Mazda any favors.

And I can understand that. How hard is it for Mazda to say "we're still dealing with government regulations"?

Back