US Diesel's big splash introduction

So Diesel in late 2018 and maybe 2019. Pretty much what my dealer said.

CP and AA will be able to retrofit to any Mazda connect system. That is good news.

New engine may come in a car that is not the Mazda 3 - new Kai concept called something else?
No idea but Mazda 3 is next model to be updated AFAIK

Last edited:
Xeler8ing, yea but those were changes from CARB, not EPA.
just odd that they'd wait this long before (allegedly) beginning EPA certification.

just odd that they'd wait this long before (allegedly) beginning EPA certification.

Maybe they were dotting the I's & crossing their T's so as not to repeat what happened with the Mazda 6 and failed diesel implementation

(hmm)

From what I can tell from the various videos/articles is, that once you pass the CARB testing, the EPA is largely a formality (and you're not passing EPA without passing CARB first regardless).

Now...how long that 'formality' takes to get through is anyone's guess.

From what I can tell from the various videos/articles is, that once you pass the CARB testing, the EPA is largely a formality (and you're not passing EPA without passing CARB first regardless).
Yeah, that's what I keep hearing.

Now...how long that 'formality' takes to get through is anyone's guess.
THIS is the million dollar question.

With EPA certification hopefully coming soon, can we put an over / under on what the MPG figures will be?
I'm half tempted to start a poll and see what people think it'll come in at.

will we see the mythical 40mpg???
this could kind of fun

So CX-5 Diesel IS coming to the US? Damn Mazda is on a roll if true. Mazda's gonna have the best looking lineup in its class (subjective....second thought didn't Mazda win design awards?) and Mazda's gonna have more torque than anyone in its class (Mazda6 Turbo, CX-5 Diesel.)

CX-5um, it is starting to look more and more like the Diesel might actually make it to the US.
CX-5 Diesel
2.5T Mazda 6
and then we've got the SkyActiv X coming out next year in the already popular Mazda 3.

only thing missing is a new Rotary powered RX-7!
a guy can dream, can't he?

Well Jedi, the Rotary has a promising come back as a range extender: in this application it will be much more reliable and light.

With EPA certification hopefully coming soon, can we put an over / under on what the MPG figures will be?

this could kind of fun

Maybe highway and even that's probably a couple or three MPG's optimistic.

this could kind of fun

Well our diesel combined figure is 6.0L/100km which equates to 39.2 US mpg and highway figure is 5.5L/100km which equates to 42.77 US mpg

this could kind of fun

Most likely EPA will test the CX5 diesel themselves and not leave it upto Mazda - since diesel is under focus.

Take the listed numbers for UK - UK has higher quality diesels - reduce it by 2-3%. Reduce it by another 2% due to changes to comply with CARB.

End result is roughly 95% of what UK 2.2 D is rated at 54.3 mpg UK with real world feel for AWD being 41.2 mpg - converting it to US is 32.5 mpg in real world for AWD 2.2 Diesel.
EPA would set it at 27 city and 38 highway in most cases.

Nothing confirmed but I believe that's the understanding.

I wonder how much more power and torque you will get because of this (uhm)

Currently KF here has 129KW (173HP) and 420NM (310FT/LBS)

Update due soon sees that increase to 140KW (188HP) and 450NM (332FT/LBS)

I wonder how much more power and torque you will get because of this (uhm)

Currently KF here has 129KW (173HP) and 420NM (310FT/LBS)

Update due soon sees that increase to 140KW (188HP) and 450NM (332FT/LBS)

I think we're getting the updated engine. No idea how it will affect HP/TQ/MPG etc though with DEF.

Back