US Diesel's big splash introduction

Well guys, as of about two days ago, both the Mazda Canada and the Mazda USA website have added the links back to their websites saying "Coming soon, the Diesel powered 2018 Cx-5." Being that it says 2018, the odds are good that we'll be able to buy them by this fall, if not sooner! I'm so happy that there's once again some official news from Mazda!

It's appearing that maybe that Hertz fleet information was correct after all.

Now we just have to keep out fingers crossed that Mazda actually follows through this time and that the added DEF/urea emission after-treatment system that they will likely have will not make it an unreliable engine.

kmi_landing-page_hero_en.ts.1803121833590000.jpg

The Mazda USA web site is the same as it was. The CX-5 diesel is listed in the coming soon category, but there is no year mentioned.

Over here when it gets close to the new year, they start peddling next year in MY details

Just noticed the new 2019 Ram pickups have been released.
It's often just a race to be first. At this rate, model years will have little relation to calendar years before long.

Coming soon..."To Japan!" (they got the new engine, right?)

Not a new engine per see but an updated one with 140KW/450NM (188HP/332FTLBS) up from 129KW/420NM (173HP/310FTLBS) and looks like we will be getting this update too.

I don't believe that has crossed my path, at least as of yet.

It tastes like nectar brewed by angels.

Looks malty..38 ibus not gettin it done for me!

They've got some nice IPA's and some delicious sours as well. Their Nectarous has won oodles of awards and is a FANTASTIC summer brew.

An interesting note, it states here that the Mazda 6 Sport is still available with a stick, and the 2.5 engine without cylinder deactivation. Only when you choose an automatic do you get the more complicated engine.

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2018-mazda6-premium-performance-design-heighten-appeal/

Yeah I can get a 2.5 manual in all 3 trim levels in Canada. No hatch/wagon though...

Then why would the ad say "2018 CX-5" (uhm)

2018.5. There's certainly a track record of Mazda doing that.

Yeah I can get a 2.5 manual in all 3 trim levels in Canada. No hatch/wagon though...

No manuals offered here on any of the trim levels or engines. We get wagons on all 4 trims but diesel is available as an option on all bar bottom Sport trim.

Last edited:
On front page of Mazda Canada web site, for the first time (direct)
(dance) Coming soon: The diesel-Powered 2018 cx-5 (dance)

They dealer told me the truth when he told me a couple of months ago to expect it by before MAY

If it will comes on fall, they would advertise it as 2019 model
The fact they still call it 2018 model means it will come early summer

On front page of Mazda Canada web site, for the first time (direct)
(dance) Coming soon: The diesel-Powered 2018 cx-5 (dance)

They dealer told me the truth when he told me a couple of months ago to expect it by before MAY

May would be pretty amazing. Been oddly quiet for it to pop up so fast. Maybe there's some truth to them having a bunch waiting in port somewhere for the EPA to get off it's bloated arse.

May would be pretty amazing. Been oddly quiet for it to pop up so fast. Maybe there's some truth to them having a bunch waiting in port somewhere for the EPA to get off it's bloated arse.

The car is ready, all what it needs is the green light from USA to start the production lines
I think putting this back on their web site means they already got the green light

The car is ready, all what it needs is the green light from USA to start the production lines
I think putting this back on their web site means they already got the green light

Getting confirmed approval and producing thousands of vehicles in Japan and shipping them half way around the world and getting them out across North America to all the dealers in time for May would seem to be optimistic. IMO that points to the vehicles already at least built and being shipped, if not here already.

Back