US Diesel's big splash introduction

Yeah, I set myself up for that. At least there might be a post with some official news, even cancellation.

Look at it like religion. You just fill in the silence with whatever answer appeals most to you. Many are saying "Mazda means wait". Sooner or later, they will move to "Mazda says no because they know what's best".

No news for USA/Canada peoples.

As mentioned previously, we are getting power and torque increases in a few months time.

Do you know if the UK will get the power increase?
I've been getting flyers offering huge discounts off Mazda cars, I suspect its part due to the increases this year on diesel cars road tax, and the 25% drop in recent diesel sales, But could also be due to a power increase, possibly both.

Do you know if the UK will get the power increase?
I've been getting flyers offering huge discounts off Mazda cars, I suspect its part due to the increases this year on diesel cars road tax, and the 25% drop in recent diesel sales, But could also be due to a power increase, possibly both.

No information yet. All depends on whether you guys will be getting a/the minor update.

USA/Canada received cylinder deactivation to 2.5L and equipment level changes across the board
Australia is getting cylinder deactivation to 2.5L which increases torque by 1NM and improved fuel efficiency, power & torque increase for 2.2L as well as equipment level changes across the board

Last edited:
All the more reason to double your money cowboy up son! Diesel i win no diesel we all lose!

Funny..maybe worth a shot hell Id piss on a glow plug if I thought it'd do any good.. but I wouldn't give more than a squirt of piss for the other 2 things much less expend any effort with Mazda.

Was supposed to go to the Dallas Auto Show and ask the Mazda reps there about the diesel CX-5. Unfortunately my son got sick and we didn't go. Anyway, it sounds like we still don't have any news on it. At this rate, a Signature trim CX-5 with the 2.5T engine is more likely to happen than the diesel :)

Was supposed to go to the Dallas Auto Show and ask the Mazda reps there about the diesel CX-5. Unfortunately my son got sick and we didn't go. Anyway, it sounds like we still don't have any news on it. At this rate, a Signature trim CX-5 with the 2.5T engine is more likely to happen than the diesel :)

I would buy that signature if it were available right now, but I'd still prefer the diesel.

Right before all new SkyActiv-X is released

Right before all new SkyActiv-X is released

SkyActiv-X isn't going to debut on the CX-5 and I don't exactly trust Mazda to keep to schedule for future deliveries, if you know what I mean.

It's also a brand new technology on which I'd prefer not to be the guinea pig. I like the idea of starting on the least expensive lineup.

SkyActiv-X isn't going to debut on the CX-5 and I don't exactly trust Mazda to keep to schedule for future deliveries, if you know what I mean.

It's also a brand new technology on which I'd prefer not to be the guinea pig. I like the idea of starting on the least expensive lineup.

Yes I know it's not going to debut on the CX-5, it will be on the 3.

SkyActiv-X should reach the CX-5 circa 2020-2022 and it's possible that just before this, they drop the 2.5T into the CX-5 as they need to keep the current model competitive until SkyActiv-X/update/new model arrives circa 2020-2022

In the meantime, 2.2T Diesel could appear depending on Mazda NO HQ

Last edited:
Actually I don't think Mazda will put the 2.5T engine in the CX-5 unless they can get better fuel economy out of it. It is expected to do 23 city, 31 highway mpg on the upcoming Mazda6. So it will do worse than that on a CX-5 and I don't see Mazda wanting to go lower than 23 city mpg for a CX-5. This is where the diesel engine would have been really helpful, lots of low end torque but better fuel efficiency.

Back