US Diesel's big splash introduction

Probably but 35(converted to us mpg) sounds an awful lot better than 25 (2.5t)now that the std 2.5 na struggles to satisfy drivers since they've added all that fluff.
MikeM knew better!

Isn't that 42 miles per imperial gallon tho?

Or roughly 10mpg less than the RAV4 Hybrid, which is the "sporty" model and is faster/as fast as any of the stock Diesel tests I've seen from overseas.

Mazda needs to legit get on the hybrid band wagon, or make sure SA-X kills it, because Kia and Hyunda are probably 1-2 years out from some impressive changes to their platforms (which are already pretty impressive). That leaves Mazda as the "More reliable than Ford, and more fun than GM, but otherwise no reason to go with over another CUV with more economy and performance" option.

When the CX5 came out with the 2.0, it was ground breaking in every way but power, then t he 2.5L fixed that, and it dominated the class for a couple of years. Now it's getting to be pretty middle to back of the pack. I'd love to see a 2.5L SA-X performance option from Mazda.

It looks like diesel cx-5 is closer to production as carb has reissued EO showing full emissions compliance. The prior EO stated certification was conditional on certain obd calibrations to be resubmitted to carb. The due date for return of these changes was in oct/nov so it looks like this was done. When I communicated with mazda Canada in past about timeline of model release they mentioned waiting on *final approvals* but didn*t clarify more. This is possibly the final approval. It appears mazda could have started selling the diesel model after the April certification but would have had to ensure those vehicles produced in between conditional and final certification were in effect recalled to update the obd calibration. My impression is that mazda preferred to get the final obd calibrations cleared up before production so they wouldn*t have to request customers bring their cars back in. Also carb can levy hefty fines for each vehicle produced if compliance is not ensured. Of course this is speculation however this seems to be a good sign. Not sure how they plan on selling diesel in regard to model year.

Last edited:
It looks like diesel cx-5 is closer to production as carb has reissued EO showing full emissions compliance. The prior EO stated certification was conditional on certain obd calibrations to be resubmitted to carb. The due date for return of these changes was in oct/nov so it looks like this was done. When I communicated with mazda Canada in past about timeline of model release they mentioned waiting on *final approvals* but didn*t clarify more. This is possibly the final approval. It appears mazda could have started selling the diesel model after the April certification but would have had to ensure those vehicles produced in between conditional and final certification were in effect recalled to update the obd calibration. My impression is that mazda preferred to get the final obd calibrations cleared up before production so they wouldn*t need to have to request customers bring their cars back in. Also carb can levy hefty fines for each vehicle produced if compliance is not ensured. Of course this is speculation however this seems to be a good sign. Not sure how they plan on selling diesel in regard to model year.

That's good news, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Let us know when the AWD is listed as at least 26/34/30 MPG from EPA or a "real world" review gets over 30 combined.

It looks like diesel cx-5 is closer to production as carb has reissued EO showing full emissions compliance. The prior EO stated certification was conditional on certain obd calibrations to be resubmitted to carb. The due date for return of these changes was in oct/nov so it looks like this was done. When I communicated with mazda Canada in past about timeline of model release they mentioned waiting on *final approvals* but didn*t clarify more. This is possibly the final approval. It appears mazda could have started selling the diesel model after the April certification but would have had to ensure those vehicles produced in between conditional and final certification were in effect recalled to update the obd calibration. My impression is that mazda preferred to get the final obd calibrations cleared up before production so they wouldn*t need to have to request customers bring their cars back in. Also carb can levy hefty fines for each vehicle produced if compliance is not ensured. Of course this is speculation however this seems to be a good sign. Not sure how they plan on selling diesel in regard to model year.

Im not sure how they plan to sell it at all. It will be well past $40k, logically. It has a turbo as well as DEF system and other things. We saw what adding a turbo motor to the cx5 did. Now stand ready for what adding a turbo, def, etc. Does to the price. Oh, and the mpg is similar to the gas burner.

Mazda just recalled 640,000 diesels worldwide, I just can't see them bringing a new one to market.
Especially given the cost of what a diesel CX-5 Signature would be...
Hint: no one would buy it at $40k+

Mazda just recalled 640,000 diesels worldwide, I just can't see them bringing a new one to market.
Especially given the cost of what a diesel CX-5 Signature would be...
Hint: no one would buy it at $40k+

Exactly. They never did figure out how to make an oilburner. Constant trouble, and they finally have thrown in the towel it seems.

There saying on the UK face book site that the diesel has been added to the 2019 US brochure?

Last edited:
UK I could see seeing as how it's already sold there.
But in the US? no way.

Again, this coming from the guy that's been waiting over 2 years to buy a Diesel CX-5...

Isn't that 42 miles per imperial gallon tho?

My new CX5 (150hp auto) averages 45mpg (imperial) when calculated on Fuelly as compared to 39mpg (imperial) for my June 2016 version. The new one definitely carries out less regens.

I doubt the big splash will happen. See https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...obally-over-diesel-engine-issue-idUSKCN1ND0MB (shrug)

This thread may as well be locked.

I have seen nothing further re this so far in Australia.

I went onto Mazda AU website and checked my VIN, and it shows that no recalls are outstanding. No correspondence from Mazda received either.

I would have though that by now we might have seen or heard something?

Has anyone in the UK or elsewhere that gets the diesel engine heard anything official from Mazda in your country about this??

I have seen nothing further re this so far in Australia.

I went onto Mazda AU website and checked my VIN, and it shows that no recalls are outstanding. No correspondence from Mazda received either.

I would have though that by now we might have seen or heard something?

Has anyone in the UK or elsewhere that gets the diesel engine heard anything official from Mazda in your country about this??

There's recently been a lot of recalls for various issues, Brake vacuum pump checks, some needed changing, injector seals to check, and a few others, my 2015 car just had a PCM reflash, something about preventing the engine stalling.

do your self a favour and by the 2.5T instead.

Back