US Diesel's big splash introduction

Speaking of diesel engines, coil springs of car diesel engines during the 80's tend to be thicker or stiffer. Now that the SkyActiv D is a lighter engine, do we have the same springs as with our gasoline counterparts?

Speaking of diesel engines, coil springs of car diesel engines during the 80's tend to be thicker or stiffer. Now that the SkyActiv D is a lighter engine, do we have the same springs as with our gasoline counterparts?

Reading the brochure, makes no mention of any differences in suspension settings/tuning.

Front brakes are bigger though (297mm petrol vs 320mm diesel)

Trying to talk myself into buying a CX-5 with the 2.5L. Man this is hard.

The 1.6L diesel in the Equinox is strictly an economy option. It's definitely not any sort of enthusiast's choice. The problem with the Equinox diesel is that Chevy is positioning it as a "premium" option. It's only offered in the top two trims and costs more than you can recoup via fuel savings. An Equinox diesel equipped like a CX-5 Touring costs as much as a CX-5 GT with premium package. An Equinox diesel equipped like a CX-5 GT is almost $40k. If they offered the diesel in the lower trims and marketed it more as the frugal option, they would do a lot better.

I have 2500 miles in 3 weeks and am really happy with my CX 5. I know the benefits of a diesel and was waiting for the Mazda diesel but I pulled the trigger and the only regrets that I have is the 12-20 mpg difference between the gas and diesel. I’ve adapted to the mileage thing and in 3 weeks it isn’t a big deal.
Happy because:
The 2.5L engine is powerful and quick enough for my aggressive moments behind the wheel.
The engine has been a proven over time.
Any diesel will have more complexity (filters and sensors) and the regeneration thing sounds if-y for my driving habits. The Mazda diesel might be adapted/changed for our market and that scares me a bit.
The 2018 2.5L hasn’t been around as long as the existing 2.5L and who knows if it’s worth 1 mpg gain.

If you don’t trailer distances or often, pull the trigger!
I wish you a good experience whatever decision you make.

Great car!

I'm contemplating a Mazda 3 Sport GT with a manual, or a Golf SportWagen with a manual. Both have the same power as the CX5, lower/better handling, cheaper and the Golf has just as much space and available AWD (albeit I'd prefer a Mazda product).

Thought about that myself but my city taxes cars at 9.5% and that is just too much to bear. Pay them twice?
No way.
Similar here, if not for the taxes, I'd do it in a heartbeat. This is definitely an example of taxes impeding commerce. Its especially galling if one must pay the full taxes for private party purchases, but only the net if one trades in the car to a dealer.

Sounds like you weren't really sold on the diesel to begin with. I'm looking forward to the better mileage, but also the feel of accelerating with more low end torque, lower revving on day to day driving feels less chintzy to me. I think the tow rating will be low on the diesel version as well. I'm sure the gas is plenty good for towing up to the meager rated capacity. My 1997 4 cylinder 2WD Nissan pickup is rated at 3500 lbs.

are we there yet?

Yeah about that...it is getting frustrating but my 14 gt is aging gracefully, holding together well, has been cheap to maintain and still a joy at tackling my daily slog to the point that i think i may just keep it and the diesel can be garage queen for a few years starting (hopefully) next fall after i turn in the x1 until my twin arrives..so I'm not in panic mode by any means and am still confident that patience will be rewarded by this excellent overall package...yet, the saga continues...we may need the force;)

Reading the brochure, makes no mention of any differences in suspension settings/tuning.

Front brakes are bigger though (297mm petrol vs 320mm diesel)

Thanks! So there are still differences between the gas and diesel variants other than the engine. A slightly bigger front disc brakes could mean heavier engine.

I filled up with Euro 5 diesel the other day. It's suppose to be 5x less sulphur hence lesser DPF contaminants and lesser regen cycle. It keep you guys posted after 3-4 refills. I guess that will be late January or early February 2018 unless we plan an out-of-town trip this Christmas season.

Thanks! So there are still differences between the gas and diesel variants other than the engine. A slightly bigger front disc brakes could mean heavier engine.

It is a heavier engine as evidenced by kerb weight:

Capture.jpg

Back