US Diesel's big splash introduction

Easy, they should have better managed expectations from the beginning and when a (self imposed) release / launch date is missed, OWN it, email those who signed up for updates and actually given updates.
they're missing golden opportunities here.
CARB certification in the face of Diesel-Gate is a HUGE deal yet Mazda is completely quiet. Instead of drumming up interest and getting potential customers lined up they're losing them by remaining completely quiet.

Just the fact that their "future vehicle" section url is https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/2017-cx-5-diesel is F'ing embarassing and there truly is no excuse for it. It says to their customers, "we don't give a s***" that we promised this car a year ago, haven't delivered, and we're even too lazy to update the url so instread it'll stand as a giant "F you" to our customers.

now, all of that said, it's tough to find a more die hard mazda fan than I. I know it sounds like I'm being ultra critical (and I am) but it's because I've continiously owned Mazda's for the last 20 years, know people at Mazda, and even work with them annually to put on an enormous car event.
Mazda is better than this and that's what is so disappointing.

Spot on. I'm really pissed off about how Mazda has handled this, in spite of the fact that I'm a huge fan of the CX-5 and Mazda engineering. I bought a 2018 in March after finally coming to the conclusion that the diesel wasn't going to happen, having waited for it for a year and a half.

The gas version is a great car. But I wish I could accelerate without the pause of either downshifting, or practically lugging in a high gear, it needs longer range, and better fuel economy wouldn't hurt.

The gas version is a great car. But I wish I could accelerate without the pause of either downshifting, or practically lugging in a high gear, it needs longer range, and better fuel economy wouldn't hurt.

2.5T would fix the acceleration but not fuel economy.

I am on the callback list of 3 Mazda dealers for the diesel. But I decided not to be dissed any longer and went another direction.

When Mazda's phone stops ringing, it will be me.

I don't think the added power and torque from the 2.5T are worth the lower fuel economy and price premium. The diesel sounds just the ticket.

(iagree) considering that's whats happened with Mazda 6 - 2.5T has worse economy than 2.5NA.

Other manufacturers seem to achieve better fuel economy when turbocharging petrol (gasoline) engines but not Mazda.

(iagree) considering that's whats happened with Mazda 6 - 2.5T has worse economy than 2.5NA.

Other manufacturers seem to achieve better fuel economy when turbocharging petrol (gasoline) engines but not Mazda.

You don't see many turbo petrol cars with 310 pound feet of torque though with that power.

You don't see many turbo petrol cars with 310 pound feet of torque though with that power.
No. Still you would expect better economy. Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI has about 10kw more power and 50 nm less torque but is more efficient. 8.7 l/100km city, 6.3 l/100km freeway, 7.2 l/100km combined. Don't think 2.5t would be anywhere near that especially the city figure. Take a look at the 2.5T Mazda 6. City figure is 10.1 l/100km

No. Still you would expect better economy. Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI has about 10kw more power and 50 nm less torque but is more efficient. 8.7 l/100km city, 6.3 l/100km freeway, 7.2 l/100km combined. Don't think 2.5t would be anywhere near that especially the city figure. Take a look at the 2.5T Mazda 6. City figure is 10.1 l/100km

Q5 is light for its size, and has an extra gear.

Q5 is light for its size, and has an extra gear.

Hence all adds up to Mazda being less efficient.

Have a look at the CX-7 - turbo engine. Guzzler. Everyone complained so much that a NA version was released.

The only turbo engine that Mazda has achieved good fuel economy with is the 2.2 Twin Turbo Diesel.

For various reasons, they can't seem to get their turbo petrol engines to be efficient like other car makers.

There’s some significant pushback to diesel in Europe. Many cities are pondering banning them in their centers.

Diesel uptake here is not very large.

Majority of CX-5's sold here are petrol version

“There’s some significant pushback to diesel in Europe. Many cities are pondering banning them in their centers.”

This is true and the manufacturers are torn between pursuing it because in reality, the latest Euro VI are cleaner than petrol or market forces that dictate that the public just hear the word “diesel” and vote with their feet. As an example, Toyota are doing very well in the UK now they’ve completely ousted diesel from their range.

Last edited:
I'm going by official figures as that's what most reviews talk about.

What's the point none of them are accurate. Things will change when the WLTP comes in during September.
HJ looks at owners fuel figures, I've found them reliable from my experience, also "Whatcar" true MPG.

What USA/Canada owners might expect if/when it arrives :-0-100km/h (0-62mph) for 2.2D:

Note: It is possible this engine is the upgraded version which is 140KW (188HP) / 450NM (332FTLBS) judging by the time of very low 8 second bracket (129KW/173HP 420NM/310FTLBS version tested here is low 9 second bracket) but I can't be sure as the description says 184KM (what ever KM stands for)

Back